Best way to single hand dock to starboard with wind blowing you off:

Aug 7, 2023
catalina catalina 320 norwalk
I can't see any good from jumping off the boat without at least one line attaching the boat to the dock if you are solo sailing and i do not allow anyone to "jump" from the boat to the dock when I am sailing with someone. Maybe that is because I'm 73 with bad knees. Of course, the height of your deck from the dock and your age may determine the risk you are willing to take, but for me it is a non-starter. If you get hurt on the jump who is going to control the lines and the boat while you are writhing in pain on the deck? I can imagine watching the boat blow off the dock and downwind as I scream for help.

There are devices like the "Landing Loop" or a different device called a "Docking Stick". I use a Docking Stick but have also used a Landing Loop before I got the Docking Stick. I attached the landing stick to the end of my fully extended boat hook with the length of line secured to the midship cleat set to stop the boat where I want it to stop. It is used as the spring line.
Are are you picking up the line off the dock with the boat hook and pulling it back to the boat?

Or are you putting the line on the boat hock and then extending it to the dock cleat with a loop on the end of the line that goes over the dock cleat?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I am normally on a mooring so the technique I describe is for when I am pulling up, solo, to a dock or slip. Therefore, I don't have any lines on the dock. All lines start on my boat. I rig lines for the bow and stern, fair of the life lines when they will be deployed The spring line is the one that is connected to the Docking Stick. The spring line (the one with the docking stick device) is first attached to the midship cleat at a pre-marked length which is then fed, clear of the life lines when deployed. The length is based on where I think I need to be when I settle in on the dock. As a first guess I use the distance from the midship cleat to the furthest point at the stern of the boat. I approach slowly and leave the cockpit (staying on the boat) moving forward to loop the docking stick over the cleat on the dock and if necessary, make a quick adjust on the length of the line while the boat is moving slowly forward taking up the slack on the spring line. I then return to the wheel and edge forward and if going starboard side to the pier, I put on port rudder with the engine running and engaged in forward, holding the starboard side by the spring line. I then leisurely step (not jump) off the boat, secure the bow line, stern line, and put on a forward spring line, return to the helm, open an adult beverage, shutdown the engine and toast another successful landing.

It is generally as described by @jssailem except that I use the "Docking stick" attached to my boat hook to make sure I '"hook" that cleat with my spring line instead of using a "continuous spring line fed back to my genoa winch. Both system work great. The key is like getting to Carnegie Hall, Practice, Practice, Practice.

Here is a link to the Docking Stick. I have no financial interest in this company but an happy with it for my use.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
you jump off boat with engine on to attach stern line?
I never jump off the boat during docking! The stern line is attached to a piling and I am merely hooking it with a boat hook and then cleating it to the boat. In the Chesapeake area, so far as I have seen, docking lines are left at the dock and hooked on return.

Aug 7, 2023
I never jump off the boat during docking! The stern line is attached to a piling and I am merely hooking it with a boat hook and then cleating it to the boat. In the Chesapeake area, so far as I have seen, docking lines are left at the dock and hooked on return.
I guess it varies from location to location. Where I am you always take all your lines with you. either way works when conditions are just right but it seems to make more sense in adverse weather and when you are single handing to simply drop a spring line over a cleat from the boat and then use the engine to keep you close up against the dock. Thanks

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
It's already been said here but cannot be stressed enough. DO NOT jump from the boat to the dock until the boat is secured. And then, do not jump, but hold on to something and climb off backwards, like you would a ladder. I once had a client/passenger who thought he was being helpful and jumped from the bow after being told not to do that. He missed the dock and fell between the dock and bow. How he did not get hurt was nothing short of a miracle. If the docking goes south, no shame in going out and trying again.
There is no one size fits all for line arrangement, but you should be able to reach your dock lines with or without a pole from the boat. If you are usually coming back to your home slip, keep your lines tied to the dock cleats and run the loop end to your boat cleats. No need to re-tie every time go you come back.

Aug 7, 2023
It's already been said here but cannot be stressed enough. DO NOT jump from the boat to the dock until the boat is secured. And then, do not jump, but hold on to something and climb off backwards, like you would a ladder. I once had a client/passenger who thought he was being helpful and jumped from the bow after being told not to do that. He missed the dock and fell between the dock and bow. How he did not get hurt was nothing short of a miracle. If the docking goes south, no shame in going out and trying again.
There is no one size fits all for line arrangement, but you should be able to reach your dock lines with or without a pole from the boat. If you are usually coming back to your home slip, keep your lines tied to the dock cleats and run the loop end to your boat cleats. No need to re-tie every time go you come back.
it's a strange world . in my area I have seen boat captains who were professionals jump off the boat and tie it up. it makes no sense but that is reality. I wonder if Chapman's piloting or some of the other boat bibles say don't jump off your boat until you are tied up.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
it's a strange world . in my area I have seen boat captains who were professionals jump off the boat and tie it up. it makes no sense but that is reality. I wonder if Chapman's piloting or some of the other boat bibles say don't jump off your boat until you are tied up.
The point that often gets over looked in these discussions is no one is born with any kind of boating or docking skills. They are all learned. It is necessary to understand how the boat moves, how the lines control the boat, and how the engine and rudder can be used to maneuver the boat. There are tried and true principals that will work if the beginning sailor takes the time to practice and practice some more until those skills become second nature.

The woman in this video spent a lot of time learning and practicing, you'll need to do that too.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
The point that often gets over looked in these discussions is no one is born with any kind of boating or docking skills. They are all learned. It is necessary to understand how the boat moves, how the lines control the boat, and how the engine and rudder can be used to maneuver the boat. There are tried and true principals that will work if the beginning sailor takes the time to practice and practice some more until those skills become second nature.
:plus: I alluded to this in one of my posts yesterday.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If this is your regular dock (so you can set up a hook and a spring line, watch this video.

i have a loop (spring line) that is suspended at the end of my finger pier where I can easily grab it (or use a boat hook to get it if I get blown off). I get that single line with a loop over my cabin-top winch, whichI can do from the cockpit). As I come into the slip, and the spring line pulls tight, the boat moves toward the finger pier. A little throttle and playing with the rudder will keep the boat tight against the pier.

Then, (and only when) when things are stable, I can jump off the boat and secure the bow and stern lines. I also use a spring line to keep the boat from running forward into the dock.

The same loop line allows me to prepare the boat to leave my slip in a cross-wind, using the throttle and rudder to keep the boat along the pier as I remove the bow, stern and spring lines…then I reverse the transmission hard astern, the boat backs out nicely, and I move the loop from the cabin-top winch and put it back on the Shepard’s hook so it is ready for my return.

this has really revolutionized my ability and confidence to leave and return to my slip in a strong cross wind.

I also spent some time figuring out how my boat moved with a cross-wind…in my case, the bow blows off quickly. So I use that to my advantage when leaving the slip…. Practice makes perfect.

Greg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I guess it varies from location to location. Where I am you always take all your lines with you.
Where we used to keep our boat in New Jersey all sailboats pulled in bow first. When we moved to the northern Chesapeake we found everyone backed in stern first for some reason. We still go in bow first as we find it easier in a wider range of conditions, we like the view sitting in the cockpit better, and there’s no rule against it.

My point is - If you’re paying for the seasonal use of the dock I’d leave the lines, regardless of what others around usually do.

Aug 7, 2023
Where we used to keep our boat in New Jersey all sailboats pulled in bow first. When we moved to the northern Chesapeake we found everyone backed in stern first for some reason. We still go in bow first as we find it easier in a wider range of conditions, we like the view sitting in the cockpit better, and there’s no rule against it.

My point is - If you’re paying for the seasonal use of the dock I’d leave the lines, regardless of what others around usually do.
We should count our blessing. In Europe they go in stern first with nothing between the boats except bumpers. You can pack in a lot more boats that way!

Aug 7, 2023
If this is your regular dock (so you can set up a hook and a spring line, watch this video.

i have a loop (spring line) that is suspended at the end of my finger pier where I can easily grab it (or use a boat hook to get it if I get blown off). I get that single line with a loop over my cabin-top winch, whichI can do from the cockpit). As I come into the slip, and the spring line pulls tight, the boat moves toward the finger pier. A little throttle and playing with the rudder will keep the boat tight against the pier.

Then, (and only when) when things are stable, I can jump off the boat and secure the bow and stern lines. I also use a spring line to keep the boat from running forward into the dock.

The same loop line allows me to prepare the boat to leave my slip in a cross-wind, using the throttle and rudder to keep the boat along the pier as I remove the bow, stern and spring lines…then I reverse the transmission hard astern, the boat backs out nicely, and I move the loop from the cabin-top winch and put it back on the Shepard’s hook so it is ready for my return.

this has really revolutionized my ability and confidence to leave and return to my slip in a strong cross wind.

I also spent some time figuring out how my boat moved with a cross-wind…in my case, the bow blows off quickly. So I use that to my advantage when leaving the slip…. Practice makes perfect.

Greg
Nice technique! But, not sure how it helps when you are backing out in a crosswind. Your spring line would not do much in that situation would it?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Nice technique! But, not sure how it helps when you are backing out in a crosswind. Your spring line would not do much in that situation would it?
My problem backing out was trying to get the lines off, single handed, and not blowing into my neighbor…

With the loop on the cabin-top winch, the boat in gear (FWD), and holding the boat along the finger, I can walk around and remove the lines…and the boat stays put. Once the lines are cast, I get back to the helm, determine my backing direction, and then move to REV and give her some throttle…she back up quickly before the bow can blow over. Don’t forget to remove the loop from the winch and hang it on the hook as you are backing out…

Greg

Aug 7, 2023
My problem backing out was trying to get the lines off, single handed, and not blowing into my neighbor…

With the loop on the cabin-top winch, the boat in gear (FWD), and holding the boat along the finger, I can walk around and remove the lines…and the boat stays put. Once the lines are cast, I get back to the helm, determine my backing direction, and then move to REV and give her some throttle…she back up quickly before the bow can blow over. Don’t forget to remove the loop from the winch and hang it on the hook as you are backing out…

Greg
thanks; now I get it. I don't think my Marina would be big on the idea of me putting a shepherds hook on the dock. I think what I will do is just hang a loop off a boat hook and pick up the aft cleat when I come in. A little harder than what you do but within the marina rules, at least my marina. I will start practicing soon before the Marina feels up and it gets too embarrassing. Thanks for the help!

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
My spring line is attached to the dock. When I come into the slip, I am going no faster than I am willing to hit it. As I come in, I go forward to the midship cleat and grab the spring line and put it over the forward horn of the cleat, then go back to the helm, turn away from the dock and apply power. The forward thrust causes the spring line to pull the boat to the dock and the prop wash against the rudder pushes the stern to the dock. One settled, I then grab my boat hook and set all the other dock and spring lines.

If I am approaching another dock without lines I will have a line of proper length attached to the midship cleat and put the eye over a cleat horn on the dock and proceed as I would at my home slip. One nice aspect of this method is you can do it in reverse. Start and engage the engine, turn away from the dock, undo all the other lines, then simply back away. The spring line will come off the horn (That is why you only use one horn and not put the eye around the entire cleat) and you can retrieve it when you are clear. Try to retrieve it before you put the transmission in forward so it has no chance of fouling the prop.

If they have lines already attached to the dock cleats, I will try to pick one up and tie it off to my midship cleat. Once the line in on the cleat, I can disembark and use the other dock lines to secure the vessel.

If you don't have midship cleats, get them. Also see this article: The Importance of a Midship Mooring Cleat (catalinadirect.com)

Aug 7, 2023
thanks; now I get it. I don't think my Marina would be big on the idea of me putting a shepherds hook on the dock. I think what I will do is just hang a loop off a boat hook and pick up the aft cleat when I come in. A little harder than what you do but within the marina rules, at least my marina. I will start practicing soon before the Marina feels up and it gets too embarrassing. Thanks for the help!
OK I tried using a boat hook with a loop hanging from the end. It didn't work at all. It was impossible to learn , the geometry of my boat was all wrong, couldn't get the loop to hook over the cleat, too much time away from helm ,etc. my boat has a huge steering wheel that you can't get easily around when you need to get back to the controls.

here is a better idea for me i think: i'll put midship cleat line on a folding 2-3' leg that folds out towards the dock parallel to the water. that way even if the boat drifts off 2 to 3 feet I can still grab the rope and tie it off on the midship dock cleat. Next I will tie off the bow or stern depending on which is further away from the dock.

Also, i'll keep a boat hook loosely clipped across the gate so that when i leave the helm I can quickly pull boat back to dock if necessary, or can jump or step down to dock with the boat hook in hand to be used in case the boat has drifted off.

all done while boat is in neutral.

please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You know the saying, "too many cooks spoil the soup?" It's also accurate to say that too many captains spoil the docking.

At this point, I think it would be best to have someone on the boat talking you through the docking procedure rather than trying to reading some 50 opinions on what you should do. Find a competent person in the marina and ask for help.

Aug 7, 2023
You know the saying, "too many cooks spoil the soup?" It's also accurate to say that too many captains spoil the docking.

At this point, I think it would be best to have someone on the boat talking you through the docking procedure rather than trying to reading some 50 opinions on what you should do. Find a competent person in the marina and ask for help.
thanks but I would much rather read 50 opinions and synthesize one that is right for me and my circumstances . I appreciate the help you have given me though thanks!