Best way to redo teak on rail seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2010
Hunter 310 Lighthouse Landing Resort and Marina
I just brought my rail seats home. I am going to sand and refinish the teak slats just curious on best way to protect the plastic when doing the coats of poly. Taping it off seems like it will be a really tedious method. Just looking for some input from those with experience, obviously this is my first time doing this little project. Thanks in advance.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Good Job

The only way is to unscrew each teak slat and than sand and poly coating,I have cushions on mine so they don't get too bad.
Nick

Jul 26, 2011
Hunter 306 Thornbury
Took mine apart last spring, didn't take much effort. Tried varnish, didn't last too well in summer sun.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I took mine off and threw them away! If you don' use something like varnish or cetol and the wood gets wet, the person with light colored clothes will have stripes on their butt.

AndyK

Mar 10, 2004
Hunter 33 Salem, MA
You have to take them off, sand them completely, make sure the wood is completely dry, and use three coats of spar varnish. The slats are pretty thin so do not sand them too aggresively or the screws will come through. The screws are an odd size (at least on my 2004 H33) so be careful not to lose any. You can sand the starboard (plastic) as well. It will make them look like new.

Finally, when reassembling I use a dab of silicon in each screw hole to help seal. The enemy is moisture and sun combination. Any moisture that gets into the wood will cause the spar varnish to come off quickly.

Using this method I usually get about four seasons with occasional touch ups in between.

Andy

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Lazy

I got Lazy one year here in Florida and when I go up north for 2 months forgot to take them off and did not redo them and guess what I had cushions made from this forum and they fit good and cover the seats and people like sitting on a cushion better.
I did redo them back in 08 taking them off and recoating and than was going to replace the wood some sort of plastic wood but said why the cccushions are great and I leave them on 24/7 all year in Florida and they look great,redo them and than add cushions.
Nick

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Unscrew slats and remove. Scrape then sand to bare wood. Apply three coats of Cetol and one coat of gloss or satin finish, your choice. Reinstall slats. Repeat as necessary.

If you make it an annual off-season maintenance item, all they should need is a light rubbing with bronze wool and reapplication of the top coat.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I put on 5 coats of varnish. My wife made covers so at the dock they stay covered. The varnish lasts and lasts. And you do need to take each board off and varnish them, both sides.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Took mine off to scrub clean & coat with Teak Oil. I've to replace the screws with shorter ones as the orignial screws is beginning to poke through to buttock. The wood must have shrank or wore out after so many years of being sat on and scrubbing.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Ditto Steve! removed the slats, took the starboard and copied it so I have a double layer at each seat. added cushions on top for comfort and never have to varnish again!

Status
Not open for further replies.