Best way to mount stuff to rails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2011
Catalina 22 East Greenwich Cove, RI
I'm looking to mount a solar panel on my stern rail (C-22) and I'm curious if anybody has any experience with the hardware needed to clamp on to the rail? I know there are standard pipe "U-shaped" threaded bolts that will hold onto the rail, but I'm looking for something PVC or similar as to not potentially damage the steel railing or create a rust patch.

Any ideas/photos/etc. would be great! Also looking to potentially mount one of those Stainless grills back there too but I'm not spending $70 for a rail mount?!?!?!

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
West marine has some expensive but nice plastic cup holder and other accessories that mount to the rails. I believe I saw just the mounts too.

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
PVC is weak, non-stainless steel creates rust patches, and stainless is expensive.

Pick two out of three (cheap, strong, non-rusting). You can't have all three...

:)

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Actually the stuff I was talking about is Snapit marine products

Mar 8, 2012
Catalina 22 trailer sailor
hey hubbardbilly,

I also purchased a 15 watt solar panel to attach to my stern rail and I am having issues finding something that fits into the track on the underside of the solar panel. I bought a pack of gray 3/4 PVC conduit straps (u shaped) but finding a bolt with a head that will fill the track is fun. I was at lowes yesterday and found some square nuts, I am thinking of carrying my panel in there, grabbing the first employee I see and go back there to the square nut section and finding the right size, I don't know if your solar panel is like mine (grooved underneath around the frame) or not. The 3/4 straps are too big, I have cut an old garden hose and it seems to do well. After the edge of my solar panel mounted to the rail, I have to do something about a clamp on stanchion of the rear railing that has a slide with a wing nut where I can mount it on the opposite framing of the panel for angle adjustment.

I'ts a work in progress.

Jul 25, 2011
hey hubbardbilly,

I also purchased a 15 watt solar panel to attach to my stern rail and I am having issues finding something that fits into the track on the underside of the solar panel. I bought a pack of gray 3/4 PVC conduit straps (u shaped) but finding a bolt with a head that will fill the track is fun. I was at lowes yesterday and found some square nuts, I am thinking of carrying my panel in there, grabbing the first employee I see and go back there to the square nut section and finding the right size, I don't know if your solar panel is like mine (grooved underneath around the frame) or not. The 3/4 straps are too big, I have cut an old garden hose and it seems to do well. After the edge of my solar panel mounted to the rail, I have to do something about a clamp on stanchion of the rear railing that has a slide with a wing nut where I can mount it on the opposite framing of the panel for angle adjustment.

I'ts a work in progress.
Sounds like we're looking to do the same thing. Let me know what you end up doing if you figure something out soon. Post some pics also if possible. Thanks!!!

Mar 8, 2012
Ok, I think I am going to purchase 1/2 pvc straps and use instead of 3/4 when i get to the hardware store torwards the weekend. I'll let you know how i do it and post pictures.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
If you can find some type of nut & bolt that will fit in the slotted track at the inside of the frame, then you could use large gauge stainless steel pipe hose clamps. They could be released from the worm screw slid through the inside gap of a bolt & then tightened down around the horizontal rail until tight on both sides of the solar frame. I have used large gauge hose clamps to hold solar lights to my aft stantions at the corners of the cockpit which work very nicely, and provide free night lights which never need to suck down battery power.

Mar 8, 2012
I saw some square head screws in a pull out bin at Lowe's (don't know their steel or grade yet) but it's one of the things I'm going to check out when I go this weekend.

Reason why I'm waiting for this weekend is that I live inland and I've noticed in both Lowe's and Walmart, they are region specific, there's more stainless steel options at the Lowe's in Cape Carteret, NC than in Knightdale, NC due to their distances from the coast. Walmart up here in the Central part of the state has mostly freshwater tackle where Walmart at the coast has LOTS of salt water fishing tackle (just an example).

Mar 8, 2012
I got a 15 watt panel at Harbor Freight for $59. The frame appears to be aluminum. Harbor Freight is known for cheap stuff but I figure for $59 it's worth a shot. Funds are limited right now so this is a "get me by" because I didn't want to buy an AC charger AND solar panel so i opted for a 15 watt hoping it will keep me charged for no more than i plan to use it.

Jul 25, 2011
I got a 15 watt panel at Harbor Freight for $59. The frame appears to be aluminum. Harbor Freight is known for cheap stuff but I figure for $59 it's worth a shot. Funds are limited right now so this is a "get me by" because I didn't want to buy an AC charger AND solar panel so i opted for a 15 watt hoping it will keep me charged for no more than i plan to use it.
Gregg, did you get a charge controller there too? I'm curious as to what they carry in-stock.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Hey Greg, don't expect miracles from those Harbor Freight solar panels. I bought one last year just to charge the battery on my lawn tractor & it couldn't even recharge that little battery.

Mar 8, 2012
No I have not gotten a controller yet. They carried 2 in stock and were out of both. Figured I would pick one up down here in Swansboro. I am on the boat now. Always have a problem sleeping first night on the boat.

Mar 8, 2012
Hey jrowan. Harbor Freight is known for their cheap merchandise so my expectations are minimal at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.