Best way to get data inside cabin

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I was working from my Catalina 310 last week and the wind was howling and raining. I have the original Raymarine ST 60 wind, tridata and autopilot instruments and they are all working great so don't plan to replace any time soon. I was thinking I would love to have the wind and tridata in the cabin for situational awareness, is there and easy way to do this? Not sure I want to sink a ton into this either but thought it might be nice to have available.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
The only solution I know of is to add a wifi emitting router to the Seatalk network and an app on you phone.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
You can install a Raymarine ST60 Multi instrument in your cabin. It will display/repeat all of the data that is on the rest of your instruments. You will only have to run a single wire (Seatalk cable) from one of your existing instruments to the multi. No other transducers are necessary. Pretty simple.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Or an i70, which is the latest version and does sone stuff the 60 wont.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
If you already have iNavX or another compatible navigation app then vYacht makes a wifi router to interface to your Seatalk instruments. I used the 1st generation box. Nothing fancy and half the price but it did what was advertised.

VYacht

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Yes, just mount a multifunction display inside and plug it into the backbone as the others said. Very easy.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Cheapest is probably the WiFi router for around $200, then i70 display around $400 and then finally an Axiom Chart plotter which has WiFi built in. $750.
It was fun last October sitting in my boat with an old iPad mirroring my Axiom screen which had current, max and avg wind speeds displayed on it. A storm blew through and I was cheering on the max winds. Top wind speed was 48.8 knots.

While definitely not the cheapest way to go I also like mirroring the Axiom CP on an iPad sitting just inside the cabin when sailing. I can sit in front of the helm and still monitor chart data when needed.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I use the Lacross technology wireless household stuff for info at the chart table. About us$100.00 and lasts 3 to 4 years.
I have the expensive set up at the helm, but I'm not spending that kind of money on something that is just for fun below.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

What plotter do you have? Most modern plotters from Raymarine, Garmin, B&G, etc. come with built in WIFI. You can mirror the display on an apple or Android device.

Barry

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I was thinking I would love to have the wind and tridata in the cabin for situational awareness, is there and easy way to do this? Not sure I want to sink a ton into this either
John, have you considered just sticking your head out the hatch? :banghead::beer:

If the boat's rockin', then by then it doesn't matter who comes knockin'. :pimp:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Interesting on the router and MFD options. I thought I would need 2 a wind and a tridata, didn't know about a MFD. Now finding a MFD used ST60 on ebay seems a bit pricey.

I don't have a plotter, I did add a used $50 2 year old 8" Galaxy Tablet with a mount that works great for our lake sailing area. So no interface there. @Ward H that is an awesome setup and if my old stuff died I'd get a upgrade for sure. But for our lake day sails I'm happy with the tech that is still working well enough, and my cheap tablet.

Last edited:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I’m not sure if your instruments are using the old Seatalk format or Seatalk(ng) I had an old Garmin mfd that did not provide a wireless connection. Through a kickstarter campaign with Digital Yachts I bought an Ikommunicate, connected to an old home WiFi router. The router puts out the “signal K” format that interprets NMEA 2000 and 0183 data and then a number of cheap or free apps access the signalK information and display the NMEA data in your apps. Here is a link to a unit, plus you can go to Digital Yacht to read more about it. It sounds more complicated than it really is, if a dolt like me can set this up anyone with reasonable DYI skills can.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Simple enough I would think. I had the original ST40 tridata that came with the boat. I replaced it with ST60 tridata, wind, and autopilot in the cockpit and installed the ST40 at the nav station simply daisy chaining it to the other instruments on Seatalk1. I would think that it would be just as easy to add a ST60 wind head.
I still have the ST60 instruments in the cockpit and they are talking through a Seatalk1 to Seatalk ng bridge to a newer Raymarine multifunction display. I couldn’t tell you that it transmitted all of the ST60 data to the MFD but it was transmitting all that I was interested in seeing.