Best to lift a Core Sound 17 with large Davits

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
It doesn't have D ring lifting points so Im thinking large 3 inch wide heavy duty loop straps hooked to my 6ft wide steel bridal bars
could lift it. Also have a tag line going to the bow and the stern to keep it centered and just lift if up and could swing it around
and sit it on a cradle of Foam blocks in this gravel area I have. The boats weight is only around 500 pounds. The mast are freestanding and I can just pull them out
when I lift it.
DSCF8477.JPG
DSCF8487.JPG

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I need to do something similar with my 170. I'll hoist it with blocks in my basement. My trailer needs some work. I also need to inspect the centerboard.

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
Im going to figure this thing out some way. So I can use the Davits for the sailboat and use the boat lift for
a outboard motor boat etc.

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
I need to do something similar with my 170. I'll hoist it with blocks in my basement. My trailer needs some work. I also need to inspect the centerboard.
I will post it here when I get my system working to lift this Core Sound 17

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Videorov - I'm assuming that having it on the trailer is not a viable option for your purposes.
3" nylon straps will definitely suffice (i.e. towing straps from Harbor Freight). Slow and easy, and see if you can find an experienced assistant.

Sorry to highjack your post, but I thought I would offer Tater the following:

I constructed a truss (more like an oversized sawhorse, actually) to lift my 170 off the trailer. Legs are 2"x4"x10' white pine nailed together to form an "L". Top crosspiece is constructed from 2 2"x10" yellow pine boards. Note cross-braces on top running from crosspiece to legs. I used a lot of framing braces and lag bolts to allow disassembly. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the legs on either side of the upright angle toward the crosspiece (like you would see with most sawhorses) to provide extra stability. I used heavy-duty 3" towing straps (NOT like the orange one in the photo), looped around the hull well fore and aft of the centerboard and looped through the hook on a cable hoist to lift the boat free of the trailer. Cable hoist was hooked over a 5/8" bolt passed through the 2x10 top crosspiece at a downward angle. Sorry, no photos of that. I stood in the boat while hoisting, but I am only 150 lbs, to total weight was about 750 lbs. You will definitely want a control line to prevent rotation.

I would recommend removing the centerboard before lifting the boat free of the trailer. It's about 85 lbs. I used the centerboard control line block and tackle to help in the removal and installation process (see photo). Hopefully your trailer will allow this. Otherwise, do not trust my rig or any such hoist to support the boat while you are under it.

By the way, in your basement? How are you going to get it down there?! Confused...

Photo shows the three-ladder arrangement I used to get the truss upright. It's a bit heavy.

Attachments

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
Im changing my plan and looks like I will put the Core Sound 17 on the boat lift once I get the bottom
part of the lift rebuilt later this year. Ive decided I will just use the Davits to lift it for service if needed
in the future. Im sure the boat lift company will figure something out when they replace the cables on the davits aswell. But mainly the davits will be used to lift for service and nothing else. The boat lift has no cover so mast are no problem either.Centerboard will just be cranked up and will slide right on the trunks on the lift. It should make things easy. Im going to have a whole new dock wrap around walkway built to make easy access to it too.

Attachments

Feb 7, 2013
Transcat 48 Fla
Im going to go with a Lifting deck system where I can walk around the boat and control the height of the deck with
the tides. The whole deck lifts up and lowers in the water to float the boat or kayaks or Jetskis etc. Many uses with
this design. Deco Deck lifts look nice and some other compaines have some too.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Sounds like a good solution. Our marina uses floating docks, thus follow the changing water levels at our lake automatically. I have often thought it would be nice to have a floating lift to keep the bottom clean, but as it is I can be out on the lake within a few minutes of stepping on the boat. Wouldn't want to complicate the process...