Best time to cruise the Chesapeake??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
I'm retiring at the end of this year, and have always wanted to cruise the Chesapeake (more than 2 weeks) so this time we want to do 2+months, thinking either May and June (spring storms more unsettled weather?) or
Sept. and Oct. (drier but cooler, I like cooler) any opinions or suggestions

Thanks much,
Capt. Ron

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
Either will work just fine and either has their plus and minuses. We are currently winding up our 3 month cruise of the Chesapeake and September started out pretty warm but the weather right now is perfect. We have been posting our trip on our Beach House Blog.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
I think you understand the weather situation well. Of course, there are no guarantees with weather. Either time slot you mention are great for sailing the Bay. Read the book Cruising the Chesapeake, a Gunkholers Guide. Or any other cruising guide. There are many places to go and lots of things to do. Also many quiet coves and lots of marinas. Take a transient slip at the Maryland Yacht Club and look us up.

Ed H

Sep 15, 2010
Hunter 33_77-83 Regent Point Marina, Virginia
Hi Capt Ron. We prefer Sept/Oct... with the water being warm, the winds do not pick-up the chill off the cold water like they do in May/June. To rephrase it: A warm day in May can get very chilly from the wind moving over the cold water. Ed H

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Best time to cruise the bay

Hi Capt Ron. We prefer Sept/Oct... with the water being warm, the winds do not pick-up the chill off the cold water like they do in May/June. To rephrase it: A warm day in May can get very chilly from the wind moving over the cold water. Ed H
Ed, I agree same here on the Neuse River and Pamlico Sound

scof25

Aug 6, 2012
Hunter 27 Quantico, VA
We tackled the ICW from the New River, NC to to Norfolk, VA and then the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River to Quantico, VA from May 20th to May 30 and, after a one month boat yard stay, picked up again July 5th to the 7th.

I blogged our trials and tribulations here:

http://www.findmespot.com/spotadventures/index.php/search/?query=Summerwind

Day 12-13 was our sprint up the Chesapeake. Was short on time at that point but would have loved to stop along the way.

Was a great trip.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
We tackled the ICW from the New River, NC to to Norfolk, VA and then the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River to Quantico, VA from May 20th to May 30 and, after a one month boat yard stay, picked up again July 5th to the 7th.

I blogged our trials and tribulations here:

http://www.findmespot.com/spotadventures/index.php/search/?query=Summerwind

Day 12-13 was our sprint up the Chesapeake. Was short on time at that point but would have loved to stop along the way.

Was a great trip.
Thank you for sharing, very much enjoyed reading about your adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.