Best sailing lakes in northeast Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2012
Catalina 1990 Catalina 30 Mark II Harbor Island Yacht Club, Old Hickory Lake, Nashville, TN
I'm planning to move to north Texas in the summer of 2015, but am already looking at the local lakes.

I have a Catalina 30 that I'll have transported to Texas when I move.

My girlfriend and I will be moving somewhere around McKinney, Texas, or perhaps Austin; I've found the following 4 lakes that are of interest:

Lake Ray Roberts (north of Denton) - 45.86 sq. miles
Lake Ray Hubbard (east of Dallas) - 35.54 sq. miles
Lake Texoma - Texas/OK border - 139.1 sq. miles

in Austin:
Lake Travis - Austin, TX - 29.58 sq. miles

My questions are these:

1. How is the sailing on the first 3, and is there an obvious choice among these three? We're leaning towards Lake Ray Roberts, but haven't actually driven to the 3 to see what they have to offer.

2. How about Lake Travis in Austin? Is it large enough for good sailing?

3. How about sailboat marinas in these locations? Is there an obvious favorite?

4. How about lakefront homes on any of these? How are the prices?

Thanks,

Bob

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
I'll let others rate the northern lakes.

Travis used to be nice but crowded at times, now it's pretty low on water for the foreseeable future. Probably too many power boaters too.

Feb 5, 2012
Catalina 1990 Catalina 30 Mark II Harbor Island Yacht Club, Old Hickory Lake, Nashville, TN
I'll let others rate the northern lakes.

Travis used to be nice but crowded at times, now it's pretty low on water for the foreseeable future. Probably too many power boaters too.
Thanks; we're leaning towards Ray Roberts Lake at this point... hopefully we'll find someone with experience on that lake.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
We sailed our 367 on lake Lewisville. A huge sailable area, lots of destinations. Relatively stable water levels. Pier 121is a great marina with a good sailing club.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I've heard lots of good things about Texoma. The current owner of a boat I'm looking at talks of a very enjyable week+ trip there.

Mar 18, 2007
Hunter 28.5 cedar creek lake, tx
North texas lakes

Ok, I will put this out on print...................Cedar Creek Reservoir. This is, I believe, the 4th largest lake in Texas. It is not a Corps of Engineers lake so there are houses all along the shoreline. Check out Don's Port Marina. It is the only sailboat marina on the lake. I had a sailboat at the marina for the past 7 years until we sold our H28.5 last month. Low fees, decent service, water and electric at the dock. The only drawback for me was the docks were not floating docks. Big lake, lots of water, and most weekends you will be the only sailboat on the water.

Feb 5, 2012
Ok, I will put this out on print...................Cedar Creek Reservoir. This is, I believe, the 4th largest lake in Texas. It is not a Corps of Engineers lake so there are houses all along the shoreline. Check out Don's Port Marina. It is the only sailboat marina on the lake. I had a sailboat at the marina for the past 7 years until we sold our H28.5 last month. Low fees, decent service, water and electric at the dock. The only drawback for me was the docks were not floating docks. Big lake, lots of water, and most weekends you will be the only sailboat on the water.
Thanks, I'll add it to my list!

Bob

Jun 13, 2012
Islander B30 Cedar Mills marinia
Lake Texoma by far. If you are planning on moving to Mckinney it's about a 45 minute drive. Here is a link to a group that is mostly Texoma people although they are primarily power boaters they are a very knowledgable group concerning the lake. http://www.sixpercent.org/forums/. Hope to see you there and on Texoma.

Feb 5, 2012
Lake Texoma by far. If you are planning on moving to Mckinney it's about a 45 minute drive. Here is a link to a group that is mostly Texoma people although they are primarily power boaters they are a very knowledgable group concerning the lake. http://www.sixpercent.org/forums/. Hope to see you there and on Texoma.
Thanks for the good input; I used to camp at Lake Texoma back in 1980 or so when I was in grad school at NTSU (now Univ. of N. Texas), and liked it a lot; I also remember a LOT of wind.

We're leaning towards staying in the McKinney area, so either Ray Roberts or Texoma seem to be our favorite choices so far. Next step is to do some day trips to each of them, see some neighborhoods--getting a house on a lake is on our list too...

It'll be 2 years regardless, so this is going to be a laid-back process. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.