Best route to Eleuthera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
What are the pros and cons of going to the Eleuthera (from Florida) by going first to Abaco and then crossing to Spanish Wells versus going via Bimini and Nassau?

We would go to Abaco after Eleuthera in either case.

Carl

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
Depends on where you're starting from, West Palm or Miami?

Oct 27, 2011
Hunter 34 Jensen Beach, fl
Eleuthra from Fl

Having made the circuit of the Bahamas starting in Abacoes then continuing thru Eleuthra for the past 3 springs I would highly reccomend this route. If this is your first trip starting in the Abacoes lets you ease into cruising in the more remote areas. The ocean passages are managable with distances that can be accomplished mainly in daylight. When crossing to Eleuthra from Little Harbor I recommend your first stop be Royal Island via the passage between little and great Egg Island. We have never attempted the Ridley Head cut directly into Spanish Wells havng been advised that a pilot is needed.

What are the pros and cons of going to the Eleuthera (from Florida) by going first to Abaco and then crossing to Spanish Wells versus going via Bimini and Nassau?

We would go to Abaco after Eleuthera in either case.

Carl

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Thanks for the help. Would not go to Bimini from West Palm - but am not really in a hurry. Interested in not stringing too many long days in a row to keep a relaxed pace. Thanks for the Royal Island suggestion. I'd assumed that but good to know for sure.

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.