Best outboard for O'day 192?

May 3, 2009
2 Mariner 19 Aquinnah, MA
I'm shopping for a new (used) outboard for my O'Day 192. I have a chance to get a very nice Tohatsu 6 hp long shaft (25-inches--Sailpro model) -- but worry that it might be both too much power and too long a shaft. Any experience or advice?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I have a 5hp Nissan 4 stroke, long shaft, but I'm not sure it's the 25" extra long shaft like a SailPro. I also have a high thrust prop. It does just fine on the original aluminum Garelick 2 stroke lifting mount. Powers the boat to hull speed with no problem. The weight of that 6hp should not be too much more, as it's the same powerhead, just a differently tuned carb. A bit more weight of shaft material etc.

I suspect even a 3.5 hp 4 stroke would do the trick. If you regularly motor in strong wind, more hp is good to overcome windage. If you regularly motor in fast current, nothing will do anything for you once you hit hull speed through the water. If you're bucking a 5.5 knot current, then you're at hull speed through the water, regardless of speed over ground. More power will only let you go marginally faster, while creating taller bow and stern wakes.

I have friends with Torqeedo motors on 192s. Heck, I know people with Torqeedos on Precision 21s and O'day 222s. Our biggest issue at the lake is getting home when the wind dies, not blasting home in heavy winds.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I would not go more than 6 HP, but 4-6 hp is usually about right for a 19' boat. I have seen people using a 9.9hp on the 192, seems like wasted power and $$$$$, Brian S is correct, a sailboat will only go so fast under power, more HP is just more $$$$$.
See below for a quote from the Sales Brochure.

On a related note, how do you find the 192 to compare to your old Mariner (listed in your signature)? Someday I want to move up from my DS II and am considering the Mariner, O'DAY 19, and the 192. So, I'm curious about your experiences. Thanks!

Attachments

May 3, 2009
2 Mariner 19 Aquinnah, MA
Hi
Thanks for your advice and the brochure! I'm embarrassed that I had set up my profile as a Mariner 19 owner...believe it or not I thought it was a Mariner 19 and learned after some years that it's a 192. So I can't compare the two, but I can say I love the 192.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Keep in mind that the 4-6 HP rated outboards are basically the same engine — dimensionally and weight-wise — just tuned differently. The next larger size, 8-9.9 HP ones, also group together.

Tohatsu is the primary manufacturer of small outboards for several major manufacturer labels.

I've used a 5 HP outboard on my O'Day 19 (and Capri 22). But with my O'Day 19, I typically use a small trolling motor if I need to maneuver in tight places. The gas engine is used if I know I have to travel longer distances or against strong currents when I have time constraints.

Oct 3, 2012
I have a 19' weekender and a tomatsu 6. Ive never had any issues. Its probably a little too powerful but there are times when a little power is handy. Less than half power is normal speed