Best Motor for a '72 Mariner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2012
Oday 25 Shoal draft Mystic
The boat came with an adj. motor bracket, but no motor. I had a 6hp shart shaft that I tried on it. The bottom of the bracket plows in the water and it is slow. With a good chop the prop will catch air. The motor bogs at more than 1/2 throttle.
I know I need a long shaft. I am camp cruizing with 2 adults, 1 child and gear. Have to motor out far to sail.
Is a 3.5 long shaft at 38 lb a good choice? If I go to a 4 hp, the weight goes up to 60 lb.
Any suggestions? I am looking for a motor that will get me out there at a good clip but not be too burdensome to put on at launch and hold me back sailing.

mjp83

Jul 11, 2012
Oday Mariner 2+2 Trailer sailer
I have a 6 hp on mine now. My motor bracket is fixed, and the outboard bracket is flush with the top of the transom. Motor mount (inside) to skeg measures 30 inches, which puts it about a foot under the rear transom.
According to the boat specs, the 6 hp is supposed to allow top speed for this hull design, at about six knots. My old suzuki also would only run on half throttle, until I had it tuned up, and then it really pushed my southcoast 22 along.
Long post short...I would look for the biggest motor possible and feasible. Look at 4 + hp, as I have not seen many of our boats with smaller motors. Also keep in mind you may find yourself fighting a current or wind, where the bigger motor will come in handy!

May 14, 2012
Your motor mount to skeg is 30"? 20" is a long shaft. Do yopu have an extra long shaft?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
There is a MARINER in Wareham that uses a 3.5hp Long-shaft outboard (sounds like the one you describe), he used to post on this site at times. If it is propped correct, It shoud work fine. A 6hp is "ideal" for many, I figure that I'd use a 4hp if I move up to a MARINER (assuming I keep the 4hp that I have for my DS II) I wouldn't go bigger than 6hp or smaller than 3hp.

May 14, 2012
A 6 hp long shaft would be too heavy and clumsy for me to load in and out of my trunk. Even though the bracket is pretty rugged, I am skeptical about hanging that much weight off of it and loading it with motor thrust.
I would like to build a pram dingy for it and make it a 20" transom. I could then row to a mooring and hang the engine from the pram.
As long as I can make 5 mph I will be happy. The 3.5 does not have a remote tank and to me that is the big downside, but I could prefill some liter fuel bottles for quick refueling.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
That is one of the neat features of my 4HP Johnson, it has a built-in 1.8 qt tank, but also a connector to hook up a remote tank. I really haven't used the built-in tank since I got my 3-gallon remote. Many 4-5 HP outboards have this feature. As far as finding a suitable outboard, I'd at least consider a used 2-stroke 3-6hp. They are lighter and less $$. If the bracket strength concerns you.....do what I did on my DS II, remove it and just clamp the outboard to the transom like O'DAY designed it to. Works well for me!
The only problem, is the Mariner (1969-present) has no place to stow a gas tank except out in the cockpit footwell. I figure if I ever get a Mariner I'll build in a ventilated locker separate from the interior of the boat.

I looked at a Stuart Mariner at the NE Boat show a few years ago, the salesman told me they suggest putting the tank in the cockpit locker.......but with no vents (they can be added ,but...) and seeing as the tank would be surrounded by bare styrofoam.......I dismissed that idea as DANGEROUS.

May 14, 2012
The new 4 and 6 hp motors use the same motor base, only difference is in the tuning, so they weigh the same. I was thinking about older, for weight and price, but I am not up to going through an old motor at this point- carb, water pump, etc. 2 strokes are loud and stinky especially when you aren't moving too fast.
For your tank stowage, make a wood cover to nest at the end of the cockpit to keep the sun off of the tank. Anything internal to the structure of the craft is dangerous and you would need a fire ext. in that compartment.
I brought a new Tohatsu 6 hp to replace the old 2 stroke when I brought my skiff, 6 years later I am still happy I did it. I can't go through a tank of gas in a weekend if I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.