Best Modification to your Boat

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I know we are still in sailing season but I wanted to throw this topic out!
At this point we have done more than one Best Modification!
1st would be the Access Hatch from the head into the port side lazarette
2nd would be putting a spring hold open latch onto the dry storage hatch in the galley
3rd would be the voltmeter showing state of battery charge.
We have done other mods but those stand out!
Now lets go sailing!

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
On the C310 there is a huge cockpit, but my favorite addition was a folding wheel, opens things up even more. Problem is most dock parties end up on our boat!
Next favorite addition would be the A-Sym.

Cheers

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
hahahaha, where to begin? And this reminds me of just how far behind I am in writing up some of my stuff.

In terms of day to day usage two items come up. First removing the factory table and building a new table along the bulkhead with draws for food storage. I don't have a great picture of it but you can see it in the picture i uploaded. Next would be our aluminum companion way doors with both plexi and screen inserts. Makes it so much easier to get in and out. I copied the Zarcor doors but did them out of 1/4-inch aluminum so they would be slight and strong. An honorable mention would go to the new lights. Much better than the Catalina stock fish eyes. These are LED in both white and blue and dimmable.

From a live-ability prospective, solar hands down. We run lots of power and almost never worry about charging our bank. We have 500 watts and may even slightly increase this soon. The watermaker really helps with this too.

From a not having to deal with poop perspective, the Raritan macerator with a built in valve and quick connects is a life saver. I recently had to change out the macerator (another victim of the Irma/Maria salt spray) and it took 10 minutes and I didn't have a nasty spill even with a full holding tank.

I have one coming up that may trump these. I am planning an arch with davits and a hard bimini with rain collection. We will see how this goes pretty soon hopefully. We plan to complete our ordering in early October and do the work in October to November. I'm pretty excited about this one.

Can't wait to hear some others give some ideas that we might borrow.

Fair winds,

Jesse

Attachments

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Ya, I need that mainsheet cleat. Do you remember brand and model? Any issues drilling new holes?
Cheers

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Any issues drilling new holes?
Just it will take you 20 minutes of anxiety to get the drill, select a bit size, fit the drill bit, mark the hole center, check the location, set the bit down on the fiberglass, raise it up, center it again, remember to run the bit backwards so as not to chip the gelcoat, watch the bit slip out of the center spot, curse yourself for letting it slip, continue in forward drilling.
A second or two to drill the hole.
Blow away the dust.
Pat your self on the back. “I just drilled a hole in my boat”. :yikes:
Then begin again on the next hole.
There is always another hole needed. :yikes:

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
You forgot the beer! Good tip to initiate the drill in reverse.....
I guess my questions really are, was there an aluminum plate under the fiberglass that needed to be drilled and tapped? What is the correct product to use to fill the existing holes?
Cheers

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks Dave. Beer is post party.. Saved for when you drill the 3" hole in the bow for the windlass.
The Aluminum plate is dependent on the Boat manufacturer and I do not know for your boat. I would look at any hardware near the space you plan to drill. Are the screws/bolts through bolted to the underside of the cabin roof? You can always try a small pilot hole to see what you find beneath the deck surface. If you start pulling aluminum bit out then yes. If balsa core or plywood, No. With a Cleat, I would through bolt the item. I would drill the holes, Then use a dremel bit or a roofing nail to cut back the wood from the skin area. Fill the hole back to the wood that was not cut away with thickened epoxy. Let harden 24-48 hours and then come back and drill the hole through the center of the epoxy plug. That way no water will get into the wood core.
Epoxy resin can be used to fill screwed holes no longer needed. You can top with gelcoat is you like.

Aug 21, 2018
Catalina 22 Lake Waccamaw, NC / Holden Bch
Not a modification, but an addition.
As simple as the V-Berth Hatch screen. The PO put sticky Velcro on the inside and simply used a square of door screen needless to say, it started peeling and turning yellow/brown and was nasty. This design goes on deck and allows you to pop your head out of the hatch to see what's going on around the boat. Easy on, easy off. Basically a screen with fishing weights sewn into the bottom edge. Picked it up online for $5, and it came with a carrying case!

Attachments

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Just it will take you 20 minutes of anxiety to get the drill, select a bit size, fit the drill bit, mark the hole center, check the location, set the bit down on the fiberglass, raise it up, center it again, remember to run the bit backwards so as not to chip the gelcoat, watch the bit slip out of the center spot, curse yourself for letting it slip, continue in forward drilling.
A second or two to drill the hole.
Blow away the dust.
Pat your self on the back. “I just drilled a hole in my boat”. :yikes:
Then begin again on the next hole.
There is always another hole needed. :yikes:
So funny and so true. It does get easier, but the reluctance should remain.

Many boats and Many improvements. The trick is to keep it simple and light.
  • Replace portable tanks with fixed tanks, fuel and water.
  • Barberhaulers and related systems. Many boats are short on tweaking lines or they don't work well. Even cruisers should be able to trim sails perfectly.
  • Transom extensions. Mostly for the improved boarding.
  • Solar.
  • LEDs. Reduced consumption means fewer batteries and less solar.
  • Storage. Trays and drop-in bags keep it light and organized.
  • Jacklines. Should be permanent and designed to work with the boat you have, not just attach to cleats.
  • Fair or modify foils. Just as important as sails.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
New cockpit table hinges
2018-01-06 21.25.15.jpg 2018-01-06 21.24.00.jpg
Victron Battery Monitor
Victron.jpg
Barbecue
2018-02-28 14.38.55.jpg
New Self Tailing Winches
2018-08-05 14.36.10-1.jpg

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
You forgot the beer! Good tip to initiate the drill in reverse.....
I guess my questions really are, was there an aluminum plate under the fiberglass that needed to be drilled and tapped? What is the correct product to use to fill the existing holes?
Cheers
We started with a Harken swivel cam cleat, but switched to a Spinlock cleat for our mainsheet. Easier to release than the Harken. There was an aluminum plate to drill and tap into. Very easy. Actually, my rigger did it, but he said it would have been easy for me to do.

We also had him lead the traveler control lines under the dodger to Harken swivel cam cleats. No more reaching under the dodger to adjust the traveler. One of the best sail handling mods we've done on this boat.
IMG_0629.JPG IMG_0671.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
@marchem Rob that looks like a great modification. Any issue of chafe on the underside of the dodger. Seems like a great place to sew on a length of leather on the bottom of the dodger.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
Most useful modifications for me:
- Replaced sanitation hoses with PVC tubing + fresh water flush (no smell, period)
- Permanent electric heater installation with external thermostat (convenience)
- Moved chart plotter/radar under the dodger (best location)

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
@marchem Rob that looks like a great modification. Any issue of chafe on the underside of the dodger. Seems like a great place to sew on a length of leather on the bottom of the dodger.
Haven't noticed any issues. The lead for the mainsheet is pretty much the same as with the original (crappy) clam cleat. The traveler control lines lead from the organizer on the traveler, so they don't have an issue either. I wish I had a picture of how that works. I'll try to take one this weekend.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
Over the last 3 yrs:
2 Solar panels and controller
8 Golf car batteries
2 60A chargers (yes, overkill)
Complete galley renovationIMG_2509.JPG
microwave and drawers install
IMG_2525.JPGIMG_2527.JPG
traveler, autopilot, mfd, propane stove and system, 1.6 cu ft refrigerator, 1800W pure sine wave inverter, air conditioner, new wind sensor, speed/depth/temp transducer, all new sanitation hoses upgrading to 1" vent lines, bow roller, replaced all lighting with led, installed TV antenna and 18"tv, new ac/dc distribution panel and wiring to all devices,and a lot of other things I'm sure I've forgotten.
Currently milling and finishing new shelf fiddles
Whew!! I'm tired...