Best material to reseat new side windows on Catalina 30

Mar 27, 2020
Catatilina 30 Brockport Yatch Club
We are replacing the solid side windows on our Catalina 30. What is the best material to seat the new windows?
We have frameless windows. What is the recommended thickness for the window?
Thank you
Judy

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Dow 795 if you can afford to wait 14 days for it to fully cure.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Absolutely down 795. Comes in colors. Once open the tube use it all as will cure on you overnight. Great how to article on Sail magazine web site. I followed their advice and posted it somewhere on this site a few years ago. 3m vhb tape was also useful to hold plexiglass in place will 795 cured.

Aug 19, 2019
C&C 25 mk2 Seneca Lake
I did this project a couple years ago, following the procedure demonstrated video (link below). My portlights leaked and a PO had made a mess using hardware store silicone, which was a pain to remove. :banghead: I also used 3m vhb (very high bond) tape and Dow 795 as mentioned by njlarry (and in video link provided below). I was very pleased with the outcome. No more leaks and looks great. My portlights are tinted very dark and had a few little nicks and imperfections along the edges so by using black 795 the result was a clean and professional look. Good luck and take your time. Like a lot of boat projects its all about adequate preparation and using the correct materials.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I have had the above "Boatworks Today" video in my how-to files for several years and will be using that procedure when I have completed my present list of things-to-do on the boat.

My only pause with the Boatworks Today method is how would one ever remove the repaired window years down the road. I suspect the 3M VHB tape will make the removal a challenge of epic proportions :pray:.