Best LIS Ports

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
Will be travelling back from Block Island to Atlantic Highlands NJ from Sunday 8/12 to Friday 8/17. Have to drop off crew in New London on Sunday afternoon.

Have traveled LIS many times but looking for new ports … mostly moorings if possible.

Recommendations??

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
How about one night in Mattituck Inlet (Federal anchorage), and a second in Manhassett Harbor (free moorings, nominal fee launch to shore)? At Mattituck, you can dink into dingy dock, and walk 2-300 yards to town for food, drinks and provisions (including a Handy Pantry). Another long day to Manhasset for the free mooring.

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
How about one night in Mattituck Inlet (Federal anchorage)
Manhasset is on the list due to timing the East River … but Mattituck caught my eye today … never been there … need to do a bit more research … can I get in there with a 4'8" draft?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Huntington Area or Oyster Bay are my favorites.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,
There are moorings available in Port Jefferson, Northport, Oyster Bay, Port Washington, and I'm sure a few others.
You will no problem getting into Mattituck. Note the anchorage is small, like real small.

Barry

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think you anchor in Mattituck - I don't know of any public moorings. It is small but never seems crowded. It's pretty quiet and scenic. There is also a marina with the usual amenities, including a good restaurant. Love Lane is a short walk to restaurants, groceries, Lombardi's Market for Italian specialties and a very good cheese shop which serves wine too. Longer walk to shopping plaza with grocery, liquor, movie theater and Rite Aid. That's probably TMI but you never know.
When I moved my boat from NJ's Liberty Landing Marina to Mattituck inlet we made it in around seven hours. Had favorable tide most of the way, which is the way to go in LIS.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
When I moved my boat from NJ's Liberty Landing Marina to Mattituck inlet we made it in around seven hours. Had favorable tide most of the way, which is the way to go in LIS.
You went from Liberty Landing to Mattituck in 7 hours? At what speed?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah we had very good tide. Probably 7 knots speed in water. Another average 2 or so over ground. We shot thru the East River at over 10 knots. We did this in the spring - I think April. We were never we out in the dark.