Best Lazy Cradle/Stack Pack System

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
It seems the Mack Pack has the most consistent approval. I’ve reached out to them and will hopefully get one setup soon. It seems folks feel the one negative is that there aren’t any battens, which causes the pack to not as cleanly catch the main, necessitating a bit more cleanup after dropping. Doesn’t seem a deal breaker to me though - the system seems tidy, and I like that it can be rolled down to the boom and the lazy jacks retracted to the mast.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It seems the Mack Pack has the most consistent approval. I’ve reached out to them and will hopefully get one setup soon. It seems folks feel the one negative is that there aren’t any battens, which causes the pack to not as cleanly catch the main, necessitating a bit more cleanup after dropping. Doesn’t seem a deal breaker to me though - the system seems tidy, and I like that it can be rolled down to the boom and the lazy jacks retracted to the mast.
I'm sure for a price you can get battens, but they can't put them in the mailbox. Neil Pryde made a stackPack for me. The only thing I changed was to place a zipper on ach side of the mast to make it easier to flake the sail. IIRC, Bob Pattison from SBO was at the boat show for the Neil Pryde booth.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Personally, I don't care for the look or the extra weight of a "bag" system. I currently have the Dutchman system. Mainsail is under full control up or down. No snagging battens in lazy jack lines. YMMV

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Any thoughts on how full battens affect any of these systems? I have a 3 leg home made lazy jack system with old school cover which works ok but my old and tired main often slips between the lazy jack lines. The lazy jack keeps the sail off the deck but takes some fiddling to get straightened out before putting the ties on. When I buy a new main I was thinking of getting full battens to help tame it when dropping in the lazy jacks.