Best iOS charts app

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
MacGregor 26D COUR D ALENE
Depth charts etc for inland lakes and coastal waters?

thanks
Greg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Job#1 is to determine what apps cover your home waters. Inland lakes? That will probably come down to either Garmin or Navionics. Everyone else uses a derivative of government charts which do not cover inland lakes.

Last edited:

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
I found Navionics to be the best for our inland lakes here in Alberta Canada. Best for the money anyway. It was good enough that I didn't look further.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I just tried iSailor. Navigated a narrow 11 mile channel "Swinomish Channel" from Anacortes to Skagit Bay with out incident. The app was free for my iPhone, but the regional map was $15. Did a great job. The app requires you to acknowledge you are not using it for navigation as the app is not using approved mapping software.
It works well as an aid to dead reconing and a real chart. Indicated there was a bridge in the passage but no hieght information. Needed to refer to my chart to confirm that the mast would clear. Kept us in center channel and provided accurate speed over ground. Was easy to set way points and track the route.
Thumbs up for this app.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Navionics is excellent! Three annual 3 week cruises in the North Channel of Georgian bay and multiple trips around home port, it has never let me down. I run it on my iPad and have a backup on my iPhone. Excellent value!

CapnGL

Sep 22, 2016
MacGregor 26D COUR D ALENE
OK soon after perusing the avionics app I purchased it. Ive downloaded a few local lakes. question is where are these archived? cannot find anywhere in the app that lists my downloads. are they not accessible? or do they only show up when I'm away from wifi. confused......but I like what I see in the app. so far.