Best Headset........

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello all,

So I have been wanting to purchase a headset to communicate with wife when I am lifting anchor and she is at the helm...... Currently do the hand signal / speaking loud bit, however this can be a pain when wind is blowing. Any suggestions.....

Thanks
Greg

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
We use the Sena SPH10 (currently on sale at Amazon). I use the stubby mic on mine, my wife uses the boom mic. Using the headset has turned communicating while docking and anchoring from a frustrating and confusing frenzy into a running, calm, continuous conversation. We tried a cheaper set first, and found It didn’t have enough range to work all the way up to the anchor. I’d post a link, but I’m using the Amazon app right now, not the browser…. not sure what kind of a link you would get.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
hand signals: calm, quiet, exact, water proof, zero maintenance, 6,000 year tradition

..... but the OP asked a different question, 'i would not know' is my answer. i'm a kiss sailor with skills

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
does Chapmans teach proper hand signals?

i've never read it. they claim it teaches everything

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Hello all,

So I have been wanting to purchase a headset to communicate with wife when I am lifting anchor and she is at the helm...... Currently do the hand signal / speaking loud bit, however this can be a pain when wind is blowing. Any suggestions.....

Thanks
Greg
Greg, here's a link I found on CF from a search on "anchor headsets".

I'll bet that if you just searched more there on "headsets" you'd get lots of hits. Those skippers seem to anchor a lot more than those of us weekend warriors here and have extensive experience in all sorts of electronics.

Happy hunting and Happy Holidays.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Thanks Stu.... I frequent that site as well as will do a search!

Happy holidays to you as well

Greg

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
We use "hand signals" but I would guess that another advantage of the headphones is lowering distractions such as wind and engine rumble -- easier for the helms person to focus. Also, what with dodgers and sail covers draping down, it can be difficult for the helm to easily view the anchor person on the bow.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I wonder.
When times are difficult to communicate, do you just drop the anchor, call it good, lets get a drink?

• Ha
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I found this Kickstarter very interesting concept. Hands-free and open mic so just normal conversation. Doesn't have headset so does not block out outside noises. Not sure how it compares in cost to head-sets.