Best first mate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I'll bet that I have the best first mate in the group.
Bev bakes oatmeal cookies while under way. Nothing better than oatmeal cookie smell coming from the galley while you helm the boat.

Anybody got one to top that?

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Mine keeps telling me we need a bigger boat! And she loves to sail fast. She is a homemaker at home and a sailor on the boat.

I am working on the cookies though.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2004
Catalina 38 San Francisco Bay
My First Mate loves to sail as much as I do ... and I'll match her cookies against Your Mates' cookies any time !!!!

Jul 17, 2009
Endeavour/Chrysler E-32/C-22 swimming pool
I'm not much for cookies but if you want to talk barbaque boat chicken, (I drool when its cooking)The 1st mate cooks on the boat like she is at home, its a wonder I'm not 300lbs. She was also ready to get right back out there after we got caught in a gale storm. She can tack in a narrow channel up wind so well you would think shes been sailing our new bigger boat for years. Her next project is to make colored sails. If the boat needs it, she makes no hassitation to make sure it has it.

I would think that would put her at least even with anyones.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Uh, making chocolate chip cookies and fudge brownies is great. My wife does that before we get on the boat. Our crew expects fresh baked goods when we race. Don't all wives do that? Cooking on the boat is usually not in the cards.

My wife is no bow princess. Her skills include going up the mast and working the foredeck. She's even been up the mast in 20 knots while racing to clear a halyard. She's pretty good on gybes even in heavy air. Best of all she didn't panic when we got dismasted a couple of years ago. In the dark she had to lay flat on the deck and lean over the bow in 4 foot chop to disconnect the headstay as the boat pitched violently. As she ages gracefully she is starting to steer more. My exclamations that all the excitement is in the front end of the boat seems to be falling on deaf ears.

Best of all we've been sailing and racing together for over 20 years and we are still talking to each other and are happily married.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
this is alll lovely--but--can they SAIL???? do they stand watch??? are they comfortable in cockpit in the dark away from land??????:eek:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Well Ruth makes the oatmeal cookies at home also. They would be hard to do on our boat with no oven:cry:.

She has put up with some really challenging times....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/MacgregorTrips-3-Powell09/09-10-9-Powell-09.html

... without ever complaining once and she is still in the process of learning how to swim, so I give her lots of credit for her courage to just go out. She has no previous boating experience yet in the course of our trips last year she mans the tiller most of the time. Handles the boat anchoring and docking. I can go ashore in the dinghy and back the trailer into the water and she will bring the boat right into the trailer.

We've been out over a month on a 26 foot boat that you can't stand up in with the pop-top down and she isn't ready to go home. We hope to be out this fall for maybe 3 months.

I couldn't ask for anything more and I'm a really lucky guy as it sounds like some of you are also.

Happy sailing and enjoy the cookies, but more importantly doing something together that you both love,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Salute all mates/admirals

Yes she can also sail, cook, do first aid, and loves fishing, football and formula 1 racing.

Attachments

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
john b--bring on the formula one racing-i miss that sooo much--i used to work the course!!! was fun!!!
sum---wow----she is goooooooooood to do that !!!! she gets an award!!!!

now--can the ladies make cookies in a frying pan?????
or biscuits in a saucepan or frying pan???
is the next step--that way, even without the oven, ye gets the goood stufff!!!

i tried the brownies as cookies in a fry pan at home and had excellent results--will adventure forth more when i get back to my own kitchen!!!!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
you guys look like yer having a reallly gooood time with that little boat!!!!!
i gotta find one---is a goood idea--i think ye have won the goood award!!! especially in a smalllest of boats ...the smiles tell it all!!!

but do they fish?? and catch em and clean em and cook em??
lol.........

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
you guys look like yer having a reallly gooood time with that little boat!!!!!
i gotta find one---is a goood idea--i think ye have won the goood award!!! especially in a smalllest of boats ...the smiles tell it all!!!................
The last year trying to learn how to sail sure has given us a lot of memories. Even the bad ones have been good in the long run :). Hopefully this year won't be so dramatic. I mean how many mistakes can one make :cry:.

Completely understandable. :D
I wish I understood it all :redface:,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
the drama is the sea gods' idea of learning experience--if werent--we woulda had fewer lightning storms and fewer wowies..lol....keep on keeping on---fishing from sailboat is next ....

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
The great Best First Mate oatmeal cooky contest

I KNOW that my First Mate's oatmeal cookies are better than any of the other First Mates cookies. However, I MIGHT be biased. I propose that we get someone to act as an unbiased oatmeal cookie judge. Bev's mom has volunteered and she is really, really, really honest. REALLY!
So send your oatmeal cookies to me and I'll make sure she gets them and then I'll let everybody know what she comes up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.