Best fire prevention device for sailboat w/ diesel engine, etc.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
my original fire ext. needs to be replaced I think....I purchased it in the spring of 1986...it says it is okay for use (green) but firedepartment down the street doubts it's as okay as it thinks it is..

thanks, Patrick in Wichita..

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Get a fire blanket while you're at it. A big wool one. Unlike an extinguisher it doesn't run out in 20 seconds, and it can be the best answer for galley fires. Work well in combination with water for non-oil fires.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
+1 for the blanket. The best/cheap are army surplus wool blankets. Keep it handy

Make sure you put extinguishers where ever you need to exit the boat safely. Aft and V births - outside of galley space, lazerette (to assist those still in the boat).

Les

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
After a while the powder cakes up in the bottom of the bottle. Pressure reads ok but nothing will come out when you pull the trigger.
By the way, one FE might keep the Coast Guard happy, but when you need one ten is not enough. I have six on my 36 footer, only required to carry two.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A fire on a fiberglass boat doubles in size every 3 seconds. It goes from non-issue to nuance to problem to disaster in about the time it takes to read this post. Working extinguishers everywhere. Your best chance to beat a fire is when it's small.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Thank you to everyone above for your great advice thoughtful ideas.....I agree....yes, the fire dept. says the gauge on the ext. might say okay, and hit might have pressure but what will be the quality of the contents after 30 plus years. I bought two today at our local purveyor of extinguishers.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I replaced the three on Mahalo with 4 . Didn’t need to but gives me piece of mind.

Les

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Before throwing your old extinguisher out you should give it a couple of smacks with a rubber mallet ( to shake up the powder) then try putting out a fire. You never get too much practise.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Fire extinguishers manufactured in 1986 lie if they say they are good today. The chemicals inside it are probably compacted into a rock that will not fit through the neck of the bottle even if there is propellant under pressure still in it. The useful longevity of fire extinguishers is determined by the length of time where 99% of those tested will operate properly. Not 50%, Not 75% but upwards of 99%. Check for the expiration date stamped on the bottle. You can help extend the life of a fire extinguisher by periodically removing it from its bracket, inverting it and tapping on the bottom and shaking to release any caked chemicals. The green arrow just indicates there is enough pressure but it does not indicate how much propellant is left. This is like propane tanks that will show enough pressure up to the moment before they run out. Fire is the worst thing that can happen in a boat so to have multiple extinguishers and replace them well before their expiration date will seriously enhance safety.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Thanks to all of you for your advice.....Mine said it was okay, but the fireman I spoke with said to assume it would be caked in the bottom....Have purchased a new one and should heed the advice above and have one more close at hand...
I appreciate everyone's great advice....I can't imagine the terror of a boat fire and it seems like a bad way to make the news....thanks again to all for the advice. Patrick in Wichita

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Before throwing your old extinguisher out you should give it a couple of smacks with a rubber mallet ( to shake up the powder) then try putting out a fire. You never get too much practise.
And it gives you a good excuse to play with fire! :yeah:
I probably need to get all of ours checked. They read in the green

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
my original fire ext. needs to be replaced I think....I purchased it in the spring of 1986...it says it is okay for use (green) but firedepartment down the street doubts it's as okay as it thinks it is..QUOTE]

My club has a flare-shoot day and we also put out fires on the beach, both events using donated, out of date devices. We work with local authorities to do this safely..

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
It will give you an idea how much cleanup will be required for all that dry chemical inside your boat.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
t will give you an idea how much cleanup will be required for all that dry chemical inside your boat.
You got that right Gunni. I think there are at least 200# of dry chemical in a 5# extinguisher. Use to have my ext.done every year at work. Always used the old fills for the kids to put out fires in the backyard. They got pretty good at it.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Ours was in the green as well, but the fireman I spoke with said that is a measure of pressure, not quality of retardant..so we got new ones....Thanks Justin...

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Does anyone have one of those fire access holes in their engine cover? It is on my project list. I also thought about one for the battery compartment.

geehaw

May 15, 2010
O-day 25 shoal keel Valdez
I had mine serviced. Was told the same thing. They cake and told to shake them. Also the should be replace or serviced every 6 years. But to service them was only $5 cheaper then new ones. But have 3 so $15 is $15.