Best Dinghy for Small Sailboat

Mar 25, 2021
Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 119 Marina del Rey
Hello!

I am wondering what the best dinghy is for rowing/motoring to shore on my Flicka 20. I would prefer not to tow. Is a motor necessary, or is it possible to row to the dinghy dock/the shore from a mooring?

Thank you!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
The one that can fit on your sailboat, light enough for you and/or your crew to handle, large enough for crew and supplies, do you want to get up on plane with a motor AND fits your budget...........do not think there is a best dinghy. I like a low cost, lightweight (52-53 lbs) rollup dinghy like a West Marine PRU-3 for $1000 WEST MARINE PRU-3 Performance Roll-Up Inflatable Boat | West Marine or RU-250 for $700: WEST MARINE RU-250 Roll-Up Inflatable Dinghy | West Marine

The need for a motor depends on how far AND how fast you need to go..............If you want a motor there are a lot of factors like weight, do you ant to carry gasoline, etc. I like a lightweight electric motor like a Torqeedo 503 or 1003 Travel 503/1003l - Torqeedo .

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
am wondering what the best dinghy is for rowing/motoring to shore on my Flicka 20
Depends on you. What capacity do you need ? Some people with small.sailboata prefer folding dinghies, some prefer inflatables.

We have a small cheap chinese inflatable.

Is a motor necessary, or is it possible to row to the dinghy dock/the shore from a mooring?
People have rowed across oceans... So again, that is up to you.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Don't over look the value of a beat up old dinghy - They're far less likely to be stolen! The inflatables are more stable which is good when guests are on board and when doing boat repairs from the dinghy. I have a small fiberglass dingy that weighs close to 100lbs. By the end of each season I'm a bit tired of lugging it to the dock multiple times a week. However, it's a load of fun to zip around the marina with a trolling motor

Mar 25, 2021
Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 119 Marina del Rey
Thank you everyone for responding! I ended up getting an inflatable Intex kayak which works great and is easily stored.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I bought an Intex 5 person inflatable row boat. It works ok getting us from the dock to the mooring. It rows, but because it has a flat bottom, it doesn't track real well.

I don't really think I would tow it for any distance because it's so light and could flip, but when we put the boat in this spring my 18 year old son was standing in it as I towed it behind me out to find the mooring. I guess that says something for the stability.