Best cleaning product I found- Marine Spray Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2009
2 260 Lake Pleasant
We recently purchased a boat that had been sitting for some time. I had small black spots all over the boat that look like bird droppings, tree sap or pine tar. On the smooth deck we could scrape them off but with the boat covered in the small specs was taking hours. On the deck it was impossible to get off. We tried all of the following:

Goo Gone, Soft scrub, The works (this was too caustics to work with considering the amount of cleaning we had to do), rubbing alcohol, bar keepers friend, simple green, Poop off (yes there is a bird dropping product called this) and on and on. At the marina a guy stopped by and gave us Marine Spray Nine he bought at wall mart. The rubbing alcohol worked to some extent but we smelled like a hospital. The best was MARINE SPRAY NINE.

Doing a quick search I found a few post in 2000 that referenced the product but no recent post.

It cut through the black spots, turned them a tanic yellow and with a hose, wash away about 80%-90%. Second application followed up by soft scrub and another spay down and we have a white clean deck. It also clean mildew and mold. No a great smelling product but th smell does not linger.

I am not a big product endorser as there are so many varibles that make a product work for one and not for another but, after many hours of trying everything else finding something that worked for us was a real relief and the cheapest, second only to the rubbing alcohol.

Now we are off cleaning all the fiberglass in sight and keep a bottle on the boat. It even worked on a red wine stain from that dired over night.

Tim

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I agree...I had a bottle on my boat when I bought it and its good stuff...now if I could only figure our how to get blue bottom paint stains (from where I brushed against it...not from painting) out of my nice white tee shirt (embroidered with my boats name) I'd be all set!

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Oxalic Acid is an excellent cleaner for the hull and decks. The stuff is cheap when you purchase it in a powder/crystal form.

Dec 9, 2006
Oday 22 Hickory, NC
Ironically I had never heard of Marine Spray Nine until this post. Found it being cleared at Wal Mart today for $4.00 a bottle!
Jack

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I use acetone for grease, petroleum, rubber type stains.... dab some on a rag and it will take those dock bumper stains right off your pretty white hull. Rinse with water afterwards.

For organic stains like algae.... nothing beats an acid based toilet bowl cleaner... You can buy it cheap at smart & final. Just drizzel some on a big soft brush, and with the hose in the other hand brush on and rinse off. .... piece of cake.

Alan K

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter 380 Norwalk, CT
Greased Lightning is also a great all-round cleaning product, particularly for the grey vinyl rub rails on the Hunters. Home Depot and Stop & Shop carry it.

Feb 12, 2007
Ericson 25 Oshkosh, WI
Greased Lightning is also a great all-round cleaning product, particularly for the grey vinyl rub rails on the Hunters. Home Depot and Stop & Shop carry it.
I second Greased Lightning, it work effortlessly on spider poo and lake fly dung!!. I buy it by the gallons at Menards.

B

bob1112233

Powerwash!!! I just did my deck with a unit that does

1750 PSI and it did a FANTASTIC job.

Mar 16, 2009
2 260 Lake Pleasant
Went to wally world today to get more Spray Nine and was told they are discontinuing the product and they were selling it for $4 a bottle and had a $2.00 mail in rebate (I never do those mail in rebates through). There was none at that store but found 11 bottles at the other two stores. Considering it is almost $8.00 at other stores why not stock up. If you want to get some from WalMart you might want to grab it before it is gone.

It seems it is a well known product in the Northeast but out here in the west no one carries it.

Jun 8, 2004
Kirie-Elite Elite 37 Niceville, FL
Practical Sailor did a review of vinyl cleaners a few years back and "Spray Nine" products were rated a "best buy". I use the Spray Nine cleaner and vinyl protectant to keep my PVC dingy looking like new after 12 years of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.