Best Chart Plotter Solution

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
I am looking at replacing my legacy Raymarine Plotter ( E180 Classic)
The Plotter is shared/integrated to Raymarines Raytech PC Software at the chart table and is fully integrated.

However age aside I can't actually find anything that will comes close to the features I have today.

So without getting into all the fine detail which is another issue, what for me is almost mandatory is;
  1. Imaging display capable (from google or SAS) at the helm overlayed on a chart – I cant even find a plotter that has this capability.
  2. The ability to overlay Gribfiles on the chart plotter is also rare
  3. VGA/HDMI in ie the ability to pump whatever is on my PC (ie OpenCPN/Raytech) at the chartable out to the Plotter.
  4. Any connecting or integration between Plotter and a windows AP, ie Sharing Charts, Waypoints, images, AutoPilot control, routes
Nearest I can find is Raymarine Axiom top end model, but at $7+k that’s out of my budget, even that cant display images.

So does anyone have a plotter doing any of 1-4 ?
Also anyone using or got a Raymarine GPM400, also legacy ?
Anyone using a PC product (such as OpenCPN or equivalent) at the chart table and connecting a remote daylight viewable IP65 touch screen at the helm ?

Once this project is done (wont be quick) I will provide details of my end solution.
A slightly outdated integration map attached.

Attachments

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Anyone using a PC product (such as OpenCPN or equivalent) at the chart table
I am using OpenCPN on a MAC laptop. Via an HDMI cable you can connect to a MFD.

Vartechsystems may have a screen that meets you specs. 1300 to 650 nits gives you a reasonable brightness range.

One additional problem with HDMI is its effectiveness over long distances. It is recommended that HDMI source and destination devices be no farther than 15 feet apart for the best result. However, HDMI cables can extend this reliably to about 30 feet. Also, if well constructed (and that doesn't necessarily mean ultra-expensive), some HDMI cables can extend signal integrity up to 50 feet.

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
Thanks good to know.
Yes one of my proffered options is very similar, but PC not Mac using 15.6" IP65 Marine Display | NPD1569 | Litemax and its touch screen so I have control outside.

Interfacing - Im not sure how to get all device to talk to OpenCPN, ie Seatalk, wind depth, Ethernet radar, Nema AIS, NEMA2000 Engine/gauges, Auto Pilot.
Charts - Also rather than the old cmap cryptography that most are running around with I would need to get something later, and I have a lot of Navionics charts now that would be useless to OpenCPN.

Reliability - My last hesitation with this route is(perhaps was) that PC is not as indestructible as a real Plotter (or Mac), only takes one of Microsofts stupid updates or something careless on my part and get a virus, then no plotter. That said I have been running OpenCPN and Raytech concurrently now on PC for 3 years and haven't yet screwed it up.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Interfacing - Im not sure how to get all device to talk to OpenCPN, ie Seatalk, wind depth, Ethernet radar, Nema AIS, NEMA2000 Engine/gauges, Auto Pilot.
OpenCPN can ingest any NMEA data. I think there are converters for SeaTalk. Not dirt about the Ethernet devices.
Reliability - My last hesitation with this route is(perhaps was) that PC is not as indestructible as a real Plotter (or Mac), only takes one of Microsofts stupid updates or something careless on my part and get a virus, then no plotter. That said I have been running OpenCPN and Raytech concurrently now on PC for 3 years and haven't yet screwed it up.
You could run OpenCPN on a Raspberry Pi to an HDMI screen. That would take out the Microsoft worries anyway.

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
Upgrade update:
So it has taken some time to get to this point. The driver for this was not a desire to spend more money or add electronic toys but due to my existing Raymarine E120 Screen failure which although can be fixed comes at a cost over $1000usd. The Radar has also failed after some 13 years and technology has improved greatly in this area. Given Im forced to do something I will also attempt to address some of the underlying desired enhancements at the helm.

The difficulty was that in order to get what I have today, the including proposed enhancements, only the very top of the line equipment gets anywhere near it and that priced up at$12000usd, very definitely not in my budget.
So my proposed final configuration will not be for everybody, however it does cover just about everything this cruiser would want. What is missing here and will be my next project is some level of proactive reporting on the state of the vessel and conditions around it.
So what I will get:
  1. Two sets of cartography ( Navionics and C-Map) both at the helm and at the Nav-station, concurrently. The existing system provides this only at the Nav Station via a PC, So when I want to check other criptograhy or look at images I leave the helm and go to the Nav Station.
  2. Nav Station and Helm are mirrored, which will be my primary mode of operation driven by Windows. This will allow me to add tracks, waypoint routes anywhere and also allow autopilot control at the Nav station. Currently only Navionics is at both locations
  3. Of course because this is mirror of the PC at Nav Station it will automatically provide access, to everything on the PC, subject to internet where applicable. Things like Bureau of Metrology Radar images, Weather warnings & weather Fax, SasPlanet, email, HFmail, messaging, music, video’s, news etc
  4. A high-res daylight viewable 15” touch Screen will be added at the helm replacing the existing E120 Chart plotter. This will resolve my current screen problem, save power and provide a means to enable the screen to sleep or go to screensaver mode. Not currently an option on the E120
  5. Given Navigation on Windows and some would arguably say less reliable than your typical chart plotter a Raymarine Processor Model only GPM400 will be added and connected to the above Screen. This will be the backup, should Windows fail which I might add hasn't in the last 10 years since I have been using it full time.
  6. The GPM400 will come with a wired /wireless remote. The PC already has wireless remote.
  7. The removal of the E120 will save power. Currently the E120 which is inefficient power wise by todays standard consumes about 5amps on average most of which is used in the screen and the screen as no power saving features. During the day this is not a problem, but over a night it will consume some 60 odd amp hours. Given the PC is already always running when anyone is up because its doing email, music, movies, monitoring, internet, Bitcoin, stocks, Windy alerting etc and it will be used for navigation there will be roughly a 5 amphr saving by not running the E120.
  8. There are a bunch of other benefits some I have just touched on, others I haven't.
So the end result may look a bit like the attached.

All comments welcome, Positive or Negative.

Attachments

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
I've been experimenting with an alternative chart plotter since this boat did not have one when I purchased it last December. My previous experience was with Raymarine C80.

I purchased a Dell Rugged Tablet 7212 and use a clamp on RAM mount. The tablet is daylight viewable and if you get a model with the integrated cellular data, it also includes built in GPS. The RAM mount is quick to install and remove and also can be tilted be be viewable around the cockpit. With Sat2Chart you can get all the Navionics, CMap, and sat images you want. The tablet was $175 from ebay, the RAM mount was $150, extra battery for the tablet was $25. Pretty reasonable. I'm using Ubuntu Linux and OpenCPN. Windows 11 would work too. I haven't integrated with my SeaTalk network yet, so my other instruments aren't working with the chart plotter but that will be on the roadmap.

Dell Latitude 7212 Rugged TOUCH i3-7100U 2.4GHz 8GB 256GB SSD - make sure it has the qualcomm cellular data installed.
RAM Mount Tab-Tite Mount Cradle Panasonic Toughpad in Case FZ-A1 RAM-HOL-TAB9U
RAP-401-202U RAM Mounts LARGE Tough-Claw™ Base w/ Double-Socket Arm & 2.5" Base

IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've been able to pick up several MFDs to replace mine on EBay at a very good price.

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
Yes I did look at the Dell solution when it first came out. I guess in those days I was a bit concerned how to pickup auto pilot, and the other instruments which is better known now days. I also had some other objectives. However your solution does have some advantages. I was unaware they made a daylight viewable model, ie 1000 nit or above. I was also seeking some redundancies as I do quite a few miles in out of the way places.

In regards to the other comment about second hand units on Ebay, yea agreed. My existing E120 runs roughly between $600 and $800 usd, by the time I ship that to Ozy it will be $1100 USD, and then the screen could also die shortly after as its a relatively common problem. Im also heavily committed to Raytech, Raymarines PC Nav software (now way past end of life) but it has servered me well and still does. So this has contributed to me sticking with Raymarine. I was also on there Beta program for a number of years.

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
So been a long time coming, just an update on this project. Its nearly complete and first couple of live runs have been done.
In effect I had OpenCPN and Raymarines Raytech running at the Nav Station on an Intel Nuc, and connecting via Ethernet (Seatalk HS) to an E120 classic chart plotter at the helm. This setup at the Nav Station I found extremely usefull, and I wanted the same thing outside at the helm, plus I wanted all the other offerings on the Nuc (PC), like Bom/Rain Radars, Windy, Grib Files, Current, Google Earth Google Maps, SASPlanet, multimedia, music video, etc. But although windows has become much more stable I wanted redundancy, and reliability that comes with a real plotter, just in case anything happened to the Nuc. So the E120 has been removed, and it's been replaced with second hand Raymarine GPM400 (which effectively a plotter without a screen) and a new high end, weatherproof, daylight viewable, touch screen with multiple imputs.

For those that are interested further my first attempt to make a video can be seen here

Once the project is finished I will provide additional detail

Nov 25, 2020
Beneteau First 235 Port Salerno
Hello,
I have a 1988 Precision 23
I would like to connect all the instrument transducers: depth/temperature/speed, windspeed/direction, GPS, tiller autopilot to OpenCPN on my HP laptop.
1) Is this possible with all these transducers to OpenCPN and a HP laptop running windows 10.
2) What will I need to connect the transducers to my laptop?
3) How do I do it?
Accessories currently connected to various displays:
-GPS:GlobalSat BU-353-S4 is a USB GPS receiver
-Depth: Hawkeye DepthTrax 2B Digital Depth Sounder, In-hull Transducer (2 pin plug&play connector)
-Clipper Wired Tactical Wind Mast Sensor - NMEA 0183 Output
-Raymarine St1000+ 3.3-Ton Tiller Pilot - sea talk and NMEA 0183 interface

Thanks for the help.

YankieViking

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
There are a couple of options. You need to know what the output is of any device you wish to connect to your laptop. Typically this could be seatalk and NEMA 0183. Typically devices then all get connected to a black box of some kind and then that box outputs the combination either USB or Wifi. The OpenCPN manual has a number of recommended options. I would start there, check how your devices commuincate, then decide how you want it connected to your laptop and look at one of the OpenCPN examples