Best bottom paint for frequent diving/cleaning

Mar 16, 2021
hunter 41 DS tacoma
I tried to be a good person by applying Eco bottom paint. It fouled in about 16 months. Divers wouldn’t clean because it’s too ablative. I have since become SCUBA certified & very much enjoy cleaning my hull.

Just wondering what people recommend for someone like me, living aboard & happily diving to clean every couple months. Hard paint? What if I just add another barrier coat?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Don’t think that a barrier coat is going to help your situation, unless you are concerned about moisture penetration thru gelcoat & underlying laminate. If you’re planning to clean the bottom frequently, perhaps a “hard” antifouling paint would be more suitable than an ablative paint. Petit Trinidad is a hard paint that has been around for many years and consistently been highly rated. Down side, as with all “hard” paints, is more aggressive standing after a few applications to prevent excessive paint build up.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
I'm very much interested in the same thing, Nachismo. I'm interested in exactly your question. I am also SCUBA certified and clean my own hull. I do my friend's boats too. I use one of these, most of the time, when there's a lot of fouling present: Remora Solo - Remora Marine, Inc
There are different brushes available (from soft to hard, and even some specialized brushes that can tackle some hard growth). It's not cheap, but is a real godsend in our cold, very tidal waters. Current limits the time that in-water cleaning is even an option.

When antifouling paint gets talked about, the "serviceability" of the paint is not often discussed, and I think that's missing a seriously important point. Especially for people that are trying to get several (or three) seasons out of their paint.

The cheap/ish/er premium ablative antifouling paints (many people up here use West Marine PCA Premium ablative and this is what I have experience cleaning) have to be treated very gently when they're fresh, which is a pain (again, in warmer waters where there's less tidal current problems, time isn't as much of the essence), but they tend to work very well in the beginning of their life, so it's fairly easy to service them. As they age, it can become more of a challenge to get the hull sufficiently clean without taking off too much paint. It's a delicate balancing act. My experience here is that the WM PCA Premium protects very well, especially in the first season. The general thinking that I've adopted for paint like this is one coat per an expected season. I try to stretch three seasons out of a bottom job, so three coats. The price is very reasonable (IMO).
PCA Premium Ablative Antifouling Paint, Gallon | West Marine

I have also cleaned, I'm racking my memory a little so bear with me, what I believe was Petit ViViD in white in its first season after applying. It's expensive. It was a dream to clean and I was able to get it spotless because of how well the fouling stood out against the bright white hull. All of the fouling was of the soft growth/algae type, which was easy to clean, but I suspect that paints that are more ablative would stand up better to algae/soft growth. The paint is very durable, and I'm sure that it will withstand many cleanings. I'm not sure how long the copper itself will last, as it is a hybrid ablative/hard paint, and how it will wear in time for the sake of removal (see my comments below about paint wearing over time).
https://www.jamestowndistributors.c...tL3N3pBzHsojF3CBKIcxhYNvlxZ2xffQaAjf4EALw_wcB

Practical Sailor recently did a really fantastic bottom paint test in Chesapeake Bay (brackish waters - common for many boats) and ended up recommending Total Boat Krypton. It's a copper-free (environmentally friendly, which I've seen is possibly up for debate) paint and it's advertised as single-season. PS was able to get the best performance out of it. I'm unsure of how well it will perform in a multi-season situation. The test in their Dec. '23 edition suggests that it works very well after 18 months on a real boat that moves often. I'm unsure of how it will stand up to maintenance as it ages.
TotalBoat Krypton Copper-Free Antifouling Boat Bottom Paint
Bottom Paints for Brackish Water at 1 Year - Practical Sailor (the test is behind a paywall, but honestly, this test alone is worth the subscription to PS)

A couple factors have started to stand out to me with bottom paint:
1. In my area, a soft fouling additive, "anti-slime" (Irgasol, which is banned, but there are replacements) is important. WM PGA Gold has one in it, as do many premium paints. Soft growth is the main problem in the beginning of the paint's life, so this additive is helpful to keep maintenance down early in the game. Hard growth becomes more of a factor as the paint ages. Cheap paints that don't contain an anti slime additive will need a lot of maintenance, which is difficult because they don't stand up to cleaning well.

2. Cheap paints (the budget, single season ablative paints) don't control their ablasion rate well. They work fine for a little while, then they go "dead" (don't protect at all or nearly at all) and tend to leave a lot of dead paint behind, which has to be sanded off. Even my Remora won't take the "dead paint" patches off. I believe that the mechansim behind the action here is that the copper ablative is suspended in a matrix that contains a lot of hard material. When the copper has ablated out, the matrix is left behind, which has to be removed by you or someone you're paying. The paints that advertise some kind of controlled or engineered ablation rate will tend closer to paying for themselves in longevity between haul-outs and less maintenance (sanding/sand blasting/chemical removal - this is a whole other issue) in the long run.

I clean some boats, and see many others in the boatyard, that have layers and layers of this cheap antifouling built up since they are repainted every season with cheap, single season ablative paint. It makes a mess and is a lot of work to ultimately maintain in a sustainable way. Most people don't spend the time needed in the boatyard in the spring to sand back last season's paint (I'm guilty as charged).

Looking forward to hearing others thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Petitt Trinidad is the is the gold standard for scrubable bottom paint.

Before puting hard paint over soft paint your are going to need to remove the soft paint (or there are some tie oats if it is VERY solid).

I doubt you'll happy diving that often, year round. 16 months is not bad. Repaint. I just tested 26 paints for PS, and Total Boat Krypton was very good (copper free, slightly harder ablative). Eco paints did not do well at all, so that may be the problem. Try Krypton.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth

Before puting hard paint over soft paint your are going to need to remove the soft paint (or there are some tie oats if it is VERY solid).

I doubt you'll happy diving that often, year round. 16 months is not bad. Repaint. I just tested 26 paints, and Total Boat Krypton was very good (copper free, slightly harder ablative).
Fantastic work on the test! I'm re-reading it now, since this thread came up.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'm using Trinidad HD and am very impressed with its performance. I've only had to dive two or three times this year since putting it on, and those were simple cleaning jobs, mostly slim or close to surface algae. I've been in some pretty fouling active areas.... Wish the heck id thought to use it on my hydrovane rudder! Dang, that's been keeping me busy!

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I used Petitt Trinidad Dark blue in March 2018. Here she is in the slings being splashed.
1703195887747.jpeg

My boat sits in the tidal brackish waters of the Everett Marina Basin24/7/365. The marina is influenced by the tidal waters of Posession Sound and the fresh river water of the Snohomish River.

Here is what her bottom paint looked like when I had her hauled 04 FEB 2023.
1703196099405.jpeg

I have the bottom cleaned by a diver every 4-5 months.

Hadley had her bottom cleaned, blisters addressed with resin and barrier coat, Sanded and painted with 2 coats of Petitt Trinidad, this time in black.
1703196358755.jpeg

She was splashed 5 April 2023. I am hoping to get similar performance results.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
in the PNW, I use Pettit SR 60 every two years. In between, i do light scrubs with a “brush” made of PVC pipe that has a cross piece wrapped with a pool noodle (flotation) and a piece of thin carpet. Racers do this every wed before racing..I can get down the keel about 2 ft before flotation kicks in. I‘ve never had barnies on the keel though.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,

I also used to use SR60. I was very happy with it. Unfortunately it has been discontinued.

I used Pettit Odyssey Triton two years ago and I was not happy. The paint worked well in year 1 but was mostly gone in the start of year 2. Note I probably wiped most of the paint off when i cleaned the bottom. The Odyssey paint is very soft.

For 2024 I'm going to try a hard paint - Pettit Trinidad XSR.

Barry

in the PNW, I use Pettit SR 60 every two years. In between, i do light scrubs with a “brush” made of PVC pipe that has a cross piece wrapped with a pool noodle (flotation) and a piece of thin carpet. Racers do this every wed before racing..I can get down the keel about 2 ft before flotation kicks in. I‘ve never had barnies on the keel though.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Just wondering what people recommend for someone like me, living aboard & happily diving to clean every couple months. Hard paint?
Ask your former hull cleaner what he thinks is the most durable and effective paint in your area. He will likely tell you that it's one of the current plavors of Pettit Trinidad.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
Ask your former hull cleaner what he thinks is the most durable and effective paint in your area. He will likely tell you that it's one of the current plavors of Pettit Trinidad.
Fst - what's your take on how gracefully Trinidad wears over time with maintenance cleaning? From @jssailem's pictures, it looks like the paint wore away very evenly in a way that sanding for the next coat would be really reasonable. Some sources state that hard bottom paints require a lot of work when it comes time to remove them, but I'm suspecting that this only applies to cheap paints. @jssailem mentioned that the yard took everything back to bare fiberglass for blister repair, but assuming the blisters weren't there, would a light sand and recoat work?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@American_Mainsail ,

“@jssailem mentioned that the yard took everything back to bare fiberglass for blister repair,”
Is not quite right.
My underlaid color was red. Red was applied in 2014 before I bought the boat. In 2018 the red was sanded using 80grit. 2 coats of Blue Pettit Trinidad were applied.
That is what you see in the image from 2023. Wear shows on the leading edges. Yes I believe the wear was fairly even.

In 2023 the boat was sanded to expose the red layer. Again noticeable blister were sanded to under lying hull glass.The blister was covered with thickened epoxy to fill the area exposed. The hull was washed, Sanded to fair the hull. 2 coats of barrier coat paint applied to the areas of blister repair and allowed to harden. The boat hull was again washed, sanded to provide a suitable surface for bottom paint. Then 2 coats of Pettit Trinidad was applied. The leading edges of keel and rudder were given a third coat from the left over of the 2 gallons of paint.