Best boat to purchase to live on

Nov 27, 2020
hunter 32ft Rochester, NY
Blessings
I am doing my research and asking experienced sailors. What are your suggestions for a live aboard? I have to keep in mind my husband is 6’4 so I need headroom. I’m also needing a shower and a toilet not a porta potty as a bathroom. Any suggestions I’m all ears. I’m looking to pay no more than 15k or less. I assume the boat would be 32-37ft long.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
There's a 38 foot Down East here in San Carlos MX for 12 grand.
Needs new instrumentation.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Blessings
I am doing my research and asking experienced sailors. What are your suggestions for a live aboard? I have to keep in mind my husband is 6’4 so I need headroom. I’m also needing a shower and a toilet not a porta potty as a bathroom. Any suggestions I’m all ears. I’m looking to pay no more than 15k or less. I assume the boat would be 32-37ft long.
Live a board as in abroad or in a slip with utilities?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The best boat to live on is a matter of personal choice. I can only raise some questions as food for thought, but you will have to do your homework. Let's start with how do you intend to use the boat; do you intend to sail it or just live aboard? In your budget you may be able to find a large and comfortable boat that has a bad engine and is being sold at a discount. On the other hand if you want a turnkey boat capable of sailing you may have to settle for a smaller boat. Does it have to be a sailboat or will cabin cruiser do? Sailboats are generally narrow with low headroom while a gas powered cabin cruiser or trawler have larger accommodations with higher headroom. Do you intend to keep it at a Marina or at a mooring and in what State? Figure out the cost per foot of keeping it at a marina or mooring in your area of choice. The larger the boat the higher the docking and mooring fees. Are you and your husband handy and mechanically inclined? A boat that might need some work could be a good deal if you can do the work but if not you would need to look for a pricier boat in good condition . At your price point looking for a boat 32-37 ft. means you are looking for an older boat that may likely require some work. What is your motivation to become a live aboard? Living aboard a boat requires sacrifices and hard work. Yes you get the sunsets, the fresh air and a piece of ocean front property but there is a lot of maintenance involved, weather dependency, and the effect of living in cramped quarters. There are liveaboards that work and use the boat to just cook a meal and sleep and there are others that may be retired and spend most of their time in the boat. A marina with facilities like showers, toilets, laundry, concession store and TV lounge can greatly expand the size of the living facilities while hanging on a moor without electrical power can become claustrophobic. Be aware that selling or getting rid of a boat usually costs money so make sure you are ready and committed to live aboard and try to get the boat that meets your needs right from the beginning. I would suggest visiting a marina that caters to liveaboards and talking to some of them. Look at boats for sale, look at a lot of boats for sale and only after comparing many will you know when you find the one. Good luck.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi. Here in CA (and west coast generally) there is usually (almost always) a multi-year-long wait list for a live-aboard permit (slip). Can be as much as 4 to 6 yr, depending on marina and the size of desired slip. So, your research should include a survey of live-aboard slip availability where you wish to locate. There is usually an initial fee to get on the list and an annual fee to stay on it. Here, one gets about 30 days to occupy the slip after notification of availability. Owners of boats already in a marina and wishing to transfer to live-aboard status may have priority, etc. Also, a Down East 38 would likely be a good choice if available in your price range.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Here is another thread on the same topic: 6'4 headroom in a blue water cruiser

Finding a working sailboat with a 6’ 4” headroom is threading a tiny needle! A 1982 Hunter 33 with 6’ 2” of headroom night go for around $15,000. But headroom means more length, or newer, both of which quickly drive up the price. And the cost of transporting a boat limits you to your region of the country.

Good luck! Persistence and searching the web may pay off!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Blessings
An O’Day 322 might fit your needs and the prices are not too far off.

The boat has a decent galley and head. The head has a hand-held shower and a bilge pump in the floor so you can shower. The 2 berths can probably accommodate 6’ people. I am 5-10 and find it plenty of room.

this one is on the east coast, and I would bet you could negotiate the price down a little.

Greg

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If you are just buying a boat to liveaboard, then you'd be far better off buying a motor boat. Twice or more actual internal living space, so you can buy a smaller boat, and many more conveniences like a home style fridge. And way cheaper.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
As already mentioned here, finding a sailboat with 6'4" headroom will be a challenge. My C310 has 6' headroom in the saloon, and my neighbor's C320 had 6'2" headroom. When talking about headroom on a sailboat, I always think of my friend Dave, who was sailing past us in his Catalina C34, and he was standing on the top step of the transom while steering, since his 6' something height wouldn't fit under the bimini. He and his wife traveled on their boat along with us from Massachusetts to Florida, so he apparently found some way to accommodate his tall frame to living aboard the sailboat.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If memory serves me correctly a Catalina 30 has more than 6' of headroom. I was on one a couple of years ago and remember saying to myself that I could easily live aboard it

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I am 6'4" and I could stand up in my C&C 27, but only under the main hatch. It had a proper marine toilet but it was not a boat I'd want to live aboard although I suppose you could. Don't forget about the length of the berth as well. When I was looking for a bigger boat I lay down to make sure I could stretch out in bed. Most were ok but some V-berths get pretty pointy at the bow and may be crowded for your feet when stretched out to 6'4".

Nov 19, 2020
Catalina 25 #824 Clinton Lake, IL
I think these are all good replies! One suggestion I didn’t see yet is to charter a boat for a week within your target size, say 35’. That will help you answer many of the thoughtful questions posed in this thread. Only after I spent a week on a 35 foot monohull did I realize how big and roomy it was. I’m 6’8” so I’m not going to find a model with enough headroom. Surprisingly, the Catalina 355 I sailed on for a week was easily comfortable enough for me. The aft cabin has a super long mattress. And I learned which Living features I would prefer.

-cf
Craig

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What does "liveaboard" mean to you? In a slip every night? Ocean passages? Are you retired and no longer having to get ready to schlep to work every day?
On shore facilities are the way to go if that's an option. Onboard showers are merely adequate.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
There are lots of boats you can buy for $15k. But then you have to fix it up. It's extremely difficult to own a sailboat that you'd want to live on for less than $30k. Would you live in a $30k house? It's not just things like the engine. The expenses over the first 12 months of ownership just keep coming. $3k on new cushions because the old foam makes your back hurt every night. The fridge will give out. There will be rain leaks over your berth that require replacing ports or hatches. New batteries. New bimini/dodger canvas. A new outboard for the dinghy. And that's all before you leave the dock....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If I was looking for a boat to live on I would try and find a Chinese Junk. They are not much of a sail boat, but they do move with the wind. They are very roomy and would provide a lot of space for the live on experience. I think you could put a baby grand piano in the salon. No idea about the cost.

For sure you would be the eccentric and fascinating guy in the junk at the end of the dock. So you'd have that going for you.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome to our amazing sailing forum, Filmstress. You are asking the right questions of the right people. I grew up living aboard, but it was a boat built for a family of five. I am unfamiliar with boats in the size range you are talking about. It has also been over 35 years since I had anything to do with marina business, other than a meal at their restaurant. So, I'm not much help, but I am interested in your question and following this thread.

One comment I have is, look into sailing courses in your area. Get a sense of sailing and spend some time around people who are familiar with the boats you are interested in. With a 15k budget, I wouldn't suggest chartering, that could take a significant chunk out of your budget. When you look at boats for purchase, be sure to ask for a sea trial. Get on the boat and sail her, maybe make lunch in the galley and have it in the salon.

-Will (Dragonfly)