Best Auto-pilot for the Capri 22

Jul 18, 2013
With absolutely no compunction for resurecting a 6-month old thread...
What you're looking for is routinely used in Mini-650 boats (6.5 m = ~21.3 feet long). The manufacturer is NKE Marine Electronics.
When the Mini nuts get their systems dialed in, they let the boat surf, under the asym, at night, while sleeping.
Ain't nothin' free in this world though.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
With absolutely no compunction for resurecting a 6-month old thread...
What you're looking for is routinely used in Mini-650 boats (6.5 m = ~21.3 feet long). The manufacturer is NKE Marine Electronics.
When the Mini nuts get their systems dialed in, they let the boat surf, under the asym, at night, while sleeping.
Ain't nothin' free in this world though.
Which version are you referring to?

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Well I have sailed the Capri 22 all last summer and found that I really don't need an auto pilot. The boat is very easy to balance so I do not need to hold the tiller. I have sailed Serenity for 15 min or more without any tiller input when the winds are 8 mph or lower. From 8 to about 12 mph, I need to keep attention on the tiller but still can reach down into the cooler for something to drink without fear of rounding up. Having a wing keel rather than water as in my old Hunter 23.5 makes all the difference in the world. Having all possible sail controls sure helps balancing the boat.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
I use the auto pilot when I am by myself and flying my asymmetric spinnaker.
I hope to learn to fly my symmetric spinnaker by myself as well and will use the auto pilot then as well.
It is impossible to jibe solo without it

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Well I have sailed the Capri 22 all last summer and found that I really don't need an auto pilot. The boat is very easy to balance so I do not need to hold the tiller. I have sailed Serenity for 15 min or more without any tiller input when the winds are 8 mph or lower. From 8 to about 12 mph, I need to keep attention on the tiller but still can reach down into the cooler for something to drink without fear of rounding up. Having a wing keel rather than water as in my old Hunter 23.5 makes all the difference in the world. Having all possible sail controls sure helps balancing the boat.
SO where do you find that perfect world, with perfect winds and no other boat wakes throwing you off course? My previous boat sailed horribly, but one time in perfect conditions, it did sail straight for about 20 minutes. Only time ever it happened.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
When you are a day sailor that only sails when conditions are favorable. Too much wind or wild fluctuations, I stay at the dock and go get a beer and watch others struggle with the wind. Even when the wind kicks up on a favorable day, you can keep a heading when balanced, mostly, for enough time to drop the main. Just circle slowly under power and put the main away. No struggle no mess.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I had a tillerpilot that came with a C&C 24. I learned how to use it but found that it drained my battery and wasn’t all that helpful. I installed a tillerclutch that let me move around the boat singlehanded which included flying a symmetric spinnaker.

Note I wouldn’t use either of these to actively sail if the wind or wave conditions were “challenging”. In those conditions heave to, sort out what you need to and then carry on.

I moved the tillerclutch to our 216 when I sold the C&C but rarely use it. The rudder on the 216 is somewhat self damping so with proper sail trim I can often set a course and sail hands off. I also find that just moving about the boat can cause a significant course deviation.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020
Catalina Capri 22 Home Port
I have an Autohelm tiller pilot (c. 2012), and it works is pretty well. It hunts a bit from time to time, and gusts can confuse it, but overall it’s not bad.

The newer ones from Raymarine, Simrad or B&G are likely even better. My neighbor just got a brand new one, and he claims it steers better than he can in most conditions, right out of the box.