Best 40ft+ Boat for Great Lakes

Sep 19, 2019
O Day 34 Safe Harbor
I am finally going to buy our first big boat. We hope to spend the next few years getting ready for retirement when we hope to spend the summers sailing the Great Lakes. I hope to do some single handed sailing and some club racing. Looking for feed back on Hunter Legend 43 versus Beneteau 440 or Beneteau 461.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Which one of the three do you like the best? Can't like all three equally. There must be one that stands out over the others. Maybe something about the cabin layout. Galley layout? Nav table has a swivel chair in one but a fixed chair in the other. One has more modern gear so save money by not having to buy new stuff. Or better yet, one has old electronics then you can get your own and program your MMSI.

There must be something about one of the boats that stands out to you. But the biggest question is can you handle the biggest by yourself?

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Beneteau first 40.7 or 44.7 or 47.7 price and performance go up every 4 ft. They are the sporty Beneteau and better built than the Oceanis line

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Unless you plan to race in spinnaker class, the jib-only Hunter Legend 43 will be a painful boat to race downwind in the typically light GL airs.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
If racing is a priority, listen to Jackdaw. Otherwise all four of the boats are fine cruisers - pick the one you like the best.

I don’t think comfort or safety is an issue for any of the boats you are considering. The Great Lakes are coastal cruising waters. I mean that a safe harbor is almost always less than 8 hours away. It takes longer than that and a long fetch to develop waves that threaten any boat you are considering. In fact this is also true of our h27, given the easy availability of weather forecasts and radar on any smartphone. We have never had a serious safety concern in 20 summers of cruising all of the Great Lakes.