Best 30-32 foot performance cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I have done the research, now it would be fantastic if actual owners could chip in.
Am looking for options regarding the best performace cruiser in the 30-32 foot range. Ideally, would like a boat to sail the Chesapeake 95% of the time, but is designed and built well enough to sail the Bahamas\East carribean or even farther offshore at a later date. So the boat would have to be exceptional in 5-10 knots wind speed but also be seaworthy, reasonably sea-comfortable, and at least basically outfitted for cruising IE: no stripped race boats. Also, no bow sprits (PS, IP, etc).
So, you Sabre, Bristol, Ericson(?), Tartan, etc owners, please let me know how your boats perform and if you can compare them to other brands.

May 10, 2004
Catalina 30 Puget Sound
I'd put C&C on that list. It's is probaby that fastest of them all and very comfortable for cruising.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Tell us a little more...

What does "performance" mean to you?

Are you going to race this boat? Or does performance mean logging 130 miles a day in comfort and safety? Or both?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Based on the 2 years and tests that I have done I picked Catalina 36 MKII 1990 to 1999 fin keel ( important for performance) . Any model later than 1999 - due to Catalina cost cutting - in my opinion it s not made very well. It is sea worthy, safe - may be not the fastest but it really is a cruiser and racer. If you would like to go into the ocean 30 -32 foot is not large enough. Have fun - let me know what you picked.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Many of the gaff rigged cutters built a century ago could spread enough canvas to allow them to out perform some of the modern racers. Read Tim and Pauline Carr's accounts of racing Curlew.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
As one of your measures, what is your budget?

$50,000
$100,000
$150,000
???

I would have you add a Hunter Cherubini 37C as a good all around boat in the $35k - $50k depending on the condition.

If you are going offshore a little bigger will be a LOT better.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Best???

I've seen this kind of question come up in boating forums all over the internet, and just think it's time to make a basic statement:

Boats are COMPROMISES. All of them are. Whether it's for space down below, rigging, keel types, or anything else, each has positive and negative aspects.

Each one of us has preferences, too. We can see that from the comments about the, for instance, C36s in an earlier post on this topic.

Many of us, in the past, have answered the "What is the Best" question with a simple answer: "The boats we already own.":):):)

Friends of mine have taken their C34s to the Bahamas, and one last year from Vancouver, BC, to Mexico. They all survived.

Steph "The Boat Babe" and her significant other took their 25 footer to the Bahamas. They survived, and he's now making the Solar Stick.

There is simply no "Best" boat. It involves making choices and compromises to suit what you like and what your budget is.

My friend who took his C34 to Mexico wrote this after his first 1500 miles:

I find it really interesting on the whole debate of what makes an offshore sail boat. It is unbelievable how much BS floats around and how many people have opinions but no experience based on the particular boat they happen to have an opinion on. I now believe it matters far more how the boat is prepared than what boat it is. Obviously you need a minimum standard in terms of hull integrity and rig strength and I think the Catalina 34 has that easilly. The question is can the boat and crew be prepared for offshore? I believe the answer question lies only with the skipper who does the preparation. In our case, we have had a fairly good shakedown cruise and I rate the boat highly. I've had "experienced" sailors who were aghast that I would take my family with no offshore experience in a Catalina 34 from Vancouver to San Francisco - a nasty bit of coast. And it takes some serious thought to call bull#### and say you're up to the challenge having never sailed in an ocean swell. I've also had experienced sailors who say go to the Marquesas and you'll find a lot of less capable boats than yours crewed by Europeans having the time of their lives. And you'll also find North Americans with real fancy boats with a lot of broken bits waiting for parts.

I urge you all to stop thinking of "best" start thinking of "what is appropriate and safe."

Beneteau, Catalina are much like Tartan and Sabre, only the T & S cost a lot more for finishes down below. Compare a Hinckley or a Hood to all four of those? No contest. Flicka at 20 feet, Dana at 24, Cabo Rico vs a Westerly?

C'mon.

You might want to read a few books, like "Desirable and Undesirable Characteristics of Offshore Boats" or Nigel Calder's "Cruising Handbook" to get an idea of the TRADEOFFS that work and don't work. But given that, people have sailed all over on boats that would be considered "undesirable" anyway, and had great fun doing it, just like my friend wrote.

Your boat, your choice.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Re: Best???

I'll drink to that. We're happy with what we have for now. Later on it may be bigger for bigger trips. While the boat is in the backyard we're going to reinforce stuff and fix other stuff. US Sailing has a good web site to figure what needs figuring. http://www.sailingusa.info/cal__hull_speed.htm Make friends with people on other boats and sail with them. It would probably come back to what Stu said. I'm going to drink to that again.
All U Get

Nov 8, 2007
Some thoughts

If you want performance in light winds, then look for boats with high sa/d (sail area to displacement ratio), deep draft (a conflict with gunkholing in the Chesapeake) and low wetted surface. (Wetted surface is seldom a published measure, but a modern hull design with a high aspect ratio (long, skinny) keel, but without a broad stern will probably get you there. Of course, you will want a spinnaker, and (if racing) a big genny for light winds.

If you want to go offshore, you want a capsize screen below 2.00, and more overhangs for comfort. You will also want a number of strength, safety, storage, and communication features that can come with the boat, or be added to a good design.

If you want to race, then the big genny is key for going to the windward mark in light winds. A deep keel is a must. And, although it is supposed to be an equalizer, I would look for a boat with a low PHRF handicap.

Among the older Hunters, I'd take the 33 over the 37c. The designer, John Cherubini called the 33 the "queen of the fleet," and it has an sa/d of 16.5, a capsize screen of 1.85, and a comfort factor of 26.0. It's also close to your desired length.

I don't agree at all that you need more than 30 feet of length to go offshore. For years, (1965 until well into the 80's) 30 feet was considered an ideal length for an offshore cruising boat. I think the current trend toward 40+ feet has been driven by the sellers of new boats looking to "sell up" their line to higher tickets and more revenues. You can certainly find the boat you want in the 30 to 32 foot range.

Finally, I would add Marshall's book "Complete Guide to Choosing a Cruising Sailboat" from the chandlery to the list of good reads on this subject. He'll teach you what the trade-offs are, and how to think about them, and also provides a reasonably comprehensive list of models, and their performance ratios.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Thanks for the replies.
1. I don't have a boat now, hence the search. We moved from So Cal to D.C.
2. Has to be 30-32 due to slip size. Don't want smaller; I mean, why would I.
3. "Performance" means just what I said - exceptional in 5-10 knot wind speed but designed and built to go offshore IE: Bristol\Sabre\Tartan
4. There is no budget. However, for sanity's sake let's keep it under $100k.
4. I've read the books. Like I said, "Done the research". Also logged over 8,000 NM on the Pacific on multiple boats. Not a newbie.
5. My question was, "So, you Sabre, Bristol, Ericson(?), Tartan, etc owners, please let me know how your boats perform and if you can compare them to other brands."
6. there IS a best boat for my specs. Including "appropriate and safe." In my view, it may be the Sabre 30 or 32, but then I've never sailed one, so would like to hear comments from actual owners to see if I can make the best decision. Seashine seamed to understand the question perfectly. If you don't understand the question, or if you have never owned or sailed a boat in this category, then skip it. C'mon.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Skipper -
Traveling to the Bahamas and most of the eastern Caribbean doesnt really require an 'offshore' boat. For Island-hopping only requires a 'coastal design' and many of the current 'production' boats will fill that bill.

A 'coastal design' doesnt have to be built to survive 'storm conditions' as when sailing 'coastal' one has ample opportunity to 'run to port' when the severe weather is approaching. There is no place from the Bahamas/Florida to all the way to Trinidad that is more than a day or two from a 'hiding place'.

Sep 25, 2008
Harpoon 5.2 Honolulu, HI
Beneteau First 310, early 90s, look like nice boats and a bigger version of what I have now (F285). Could cover a fair amount of water and they also have a wing version that would be very at home in the Chesapeake like my wing 285. But of course I'm biased...

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Here's an example:
I owned a Capri 26 for 4 years. She sailed like a dream in light wind, outrunning almost everything except the racers (IE: J24). But stable and managable in a 20 knot steady blow with associated seas. Great accomodations with 110v, marine head, big berth, good tankage, hot\cold pressure water, etc.
But a C26 is not big enough or robust enough to be safe in an Atlantic toss up. So, ideally, would like a Capri 32 (if it existed), but stronger and more sea-kindly. I've looked at the Cat 310 and 320, even the 30, but in reality would like better quality and sailing performance. Which is why I'd really like to hear from owners of upper quality, fast(ish), seaworthy boats.

Nov 8, 2007
Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
4. logged over 8,000 NM on the Pacific on multiple boats. Not a newbie.
Question: What boats have you sailed on? And what opinions did you have of them?

6. there IS a best boat for my specs. Including "appropriate and safe." In my view, it may be the Sabre 30 or 32, but then I've never sailed one, so would like to hear comments from actual owners to see if I can make the best decision.
Appropriate: One couple I know sailed their 32-footer from Seattle down to Mexico and half-way across the South Pacific. Their plans were to circumnavigate but cut their trip short and returned back to Seattle by way of Hawaii. Reason: Their boat was not sea-kindly enough. And it was either a cut-away or full keel. They sold it and bought a 41-footer with skeg rudder and were getting ready to go again, this time with child.

If you're considering real blue-water, and not just coastal cruising, how a boat feels under way should be a consideration. And I have had this same input from a number of other cruisers.

Like one person who has made a number of West Coast to Hawaii trips while crewing on race boats said, you can take a performance boat to Hawaii and spend a couple days recovering after you get there, or, you can take a cruising boat that'll take a couple days longer getting there and step off the boat and go ashore and have a good time.

Basically, fin keels and spade rudders (read: fast, performance hulls) don't feel good going downwind at an angle to the swells.

If you don't understand the question, or if you have never owned or sailed a boat in this category, then skip it. C'mon.
Reply: If you feel some here don't understand the question perhaps some elaboration on your post might be in order.

And: we do get a LOT of "what is the best .....[boat/dingy/outboard, etc.]" so that's one reason why I like Stu Jackson's post.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
I am partial to traditional designs. And in love with my Hunter 37C and second the idea of a Cherubini H33. It is a very misunderstood boat by those who look down on Hunters and Catalinas(and have never sailed or even seen one up close.).

So if you think you need a "better" boat then my list would include the C&C and the Tartan.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
Don't overlook the Pearson 32 (I own one & I admit I'm biased.) It rates the same as a C&C 32, but has a solid hull as opposed to balsa-cored. Mine appears to be built like a tank. The systems are very simple compared to higher-end boats, and the price is generally quite a bit lower. You can find a fairly accurate review by Practical Sailor on the internet.
I do have to say I think the capsize screening factor is a crock, since it makes no distinction how the overall weight of the boat is distributed. But I digress.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Consider the Endeavor 32 or the Pacific Seacraft Ericson 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.