Bent wing keels

Jul 13, 2009
Parker Skipjack 37 Clearwater
I recently looked at a Hunter Passage 42. The aft edge of the wing keel was bent with a curve of about 2 inches in its vertical run. Have no idea what caused this -could it be from routine boatyard sitting? Say they just blocked the aft edge clumbsily? OOORR more likely from a hard grounding. ??

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Could be either. A grounding would likely leave evidence on the leading edge. Regardless, it isn’t difficult to bend lead

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I recently looked at a Hunter Passage 42. The aft edge of the wing keel was bent with a curve of about 2 inches in its vertical run. Have no idea what caused this -could it be from routine boatyard sitting? Say they just blocked the aft edge clumbsily? OOORR more likely from a hard grounding. ??
This is known as molecular destratification.
I’ve seen four boats with this issue, where ONE was particularly pronounced .

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I would suggest leaving the bend as to straighten bend wing risk breaking it. 2" is small, won't affect sailing and nobody look at it.
My wing keel got bent on both wings due to two instances of grounding. My bad.
Yard tried straightening then they got worried of breaking the wing as it won't barge. Been living with bent wings for many years. Doesn't affect anything.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your post reminds me that the wing tips on the Southwest plane had bent wing tips. I was told they did that on purpose.

@georgetheleo Did you buy the boat or was this a curiosity query?