Bent turn buckles

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Skusje;
I wrote the book on this so here is my two cents worth. Before raising, make sure all standing and running rigging are laying back with the mast. Just look at the turnbuckles before raising and make sure they are lying back. If you feel any addl. tension during raising, stop and look to see if anything is caught. Here is the big key, when the mast is up about 60-70 degrees, momentarily look at the turnbuckles and straighten them if necessary. Make sure if you have to drop the mast raise line from the mainsheet being used, tie that off for safety if not being held firmly in your hand. This is probably the #1 culprit that bends them as they get caught in the eyepads or turnbuckle chain plates before then during raising. Even with bungee chords, turnbuckle boot covers, etc., they do still get caught.

Replace the studs only but make sure it is either the right or left hand turn studs when ordering.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
If you look at most 23.5/240/26/260 you will find a few bent turnbuckles. They will not fail unless you bend them back but change them out anyway. Tying the side stays to the lifelines with masking tape during raising will help. Another thing I find helpful is cut up some squares from a foam noodle that you can buy at Canadian tire and put them in the D bolts below the shackles, this stops the shackles from binding .

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The PO of my H26 did this, which seems to work well to hold the turnbuckles vertical, no need to mess with tape or bungees. The slot he cut fits snug over the top of the u-bolts. Of course special attention is still needed to be sure nothing is going afoul while raising the mast.

View attachment 122383

View attachment 122384

BTW; the missing ring-dings in your pics is a big concern.
Well that is damn clever.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Just curious, where can you get just the threaded t bolt stud? I have not seen it listed as a seperate piece before and everyplace I have been wants to sell you the shackle and pin with it.

Sam

Jul 26, 2010
Hunter 23 South Haven, MI
I did exactly the same thing a couple seasons ago on my H23. That was a $60 mistake. :) I put some tape on them now to keep them vertical while raising the mast.