Bent Stanchion Intel

May 24, 2020
Catalina 309 Annapolis, MD
Hi everyone,

Just took delivery of a 2011 Catalina 309 (Hull 195) after sailing an early 80's Catalina 27 with a swiveling outboard. Longer and Beamier boat, 10 years of habits ingrained from using a tiller, second-time-on-a-boat rookie crew, so of course I bend a lifeline stanchion. (Totally my fault; poor boat handling and piss poor leadership.) The deck and toe rail look unfazed from what I can see. No gelcoat cracking evident. But you know how it is: the first one is the worst one...

One of the two outboard screws had it's head bent. Still tightens but it won't tighten down flush. (little more than 1/16th of an inch gap) The baseplate of the stanchion is flush with the deck, but with the head up, that's a moisture path. I haven't taken off the stanchion because I wanted to get a little intel about the hardware before I go taking things apart.

Here's my question: Are those machine screws into a threaded plate or are they bolts backed with a nut? One of these is a 5 minute easy fix, the other is an obscenity storm waiting to happen. Apparently the designers wear size XS gloves.

Thanks!
Josh

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Post #7 in this thread discusses how the stanchions are fastened and rebed it with butyl tape. Hope that helps.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the Forum @Joshua Radice. Congrats on your new boat. Yes the first event is always the worst.

If the post is not too bent it may be straightened by a "rail maker". In our area there is a company called Rail Makers. They build new product and they sometimes can repair broken pieces. You would need to explore your neighborhood. Talk to your fellow boaters. They will have bent a pulpit/stanchion or two in the day.

You will need to remove and reseat the stanchion. I used butyl tape I got from MaineSail at Marine How To . His stuff is a great item on the boat to bed the various boat parts that will begin to leak with time.

Good luck with your "Crew" training. Check out the boat Handling thread. It is always a great idea to take a boat our and play maneuvers till you ge the feel of your new to your boat. Sailing Season opening... Boat Handling - Are you ready?

Fair winds. And post a picture of your beauty.