bent rudder shaft

macwho

Jul 24, 2015
Catalina 30 TRBSWK Sandusky BPM
As I was remounting my repaired rudder I noticed that the washer was about 18-20 degrees from sitting flat against the log tube. I stepped back and sure enough the shaft looks bent. I enclosed a picture from our survey. I doubt it is safe to try to straighten the shaft without weakening it or where it could be done. Any info on what to do or consider? Any info ie. experience with Catalina Direct HPDE rudder. It seems like some good ideas were used to design it.
2932pics 005.JPG
UPDATE My research says do not try to straighten as this will weaken shaft too much. Now I need to decide to make or to buy. Cost to buy is 2500.00 and cost to build is 1000.00.
Have tools and skills but wonder if I can shape the 0012 shape accurate enough.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
We damaged our OEM (Foss Foam) rudder during a grounding in '14. Was considering trying to repair it myself, and then I noticed the shaft was bent. The crux of the bend is/was basically where it comes out of the rudder tube on the boat (like in your pic). I'm an engineer, and I couldn't come up with any mechanical means to straighten the shaft that wouldn't damage the foam-type rudder. It might be done with heat, but that will definitely damage the foam. More importantly, heating any metal to facilitate bending will weaken its structure. I would risk that with a critical component like a rudder.

So I bought an HDPE rudder direct from RudderCraft. Works great, lifetime warranty. I'm assuming that's where Catalina Direct gets theirs, but don't have confirmation.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I had a Seidelman 30 and in 1983 just before the Marblead - Halifax race we hit a rock and bent the rudder to the point where it would no from lock to lock. Three days before the race we removed the rudder by pushing it down with a stick and out if the water. We attached a couple af clamps and a line in order to retrieve it. On shore we clamp down the rudder shaft with the blade trailing edge facing up and hanging free. We hand held a 2 x 10 while slowly lowering a 2000 pound mooring block until the shaft was bent back to the original angle. You might need to go a little beyond. Reinstalled it and did the race and was still good when I sold the boat 5 years later.

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
Interesting fix, Cayennita! Cool that it worked out for you! Is that a foam core rudder? With the one I had I don't think I could have done what you did without damaging the rudder body further (you'd need to see the pics!).

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
It was foam core. Using the plank, I distributed the load along the whole trailing edge. The boat had a skeg originally. However when I bought it from the Naval Academy, it was swinging back and forth. After removing it and glassing it to the rudder, I got rid of the heavy helm. The rudder shaft then had very littl protection but except for that one hit, it never gave any trouble.