Bent Mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marty and Mike

My father recently purchased a 1984 MacGregor 25. The previous owner I believe left some sort of a tarp over the mast while she was down. When rasied the mast leans towards port right in the middle. Has anyone experienced something of this nature? Our main concern is if this will effect sailing in anyway? Also will she keep bending towards? Finally, is there any remedy for this? As it does look a bit silly from a far. Thank you for all information replied. Both my father and myself look forward to many years of enjoyment from this great boat!!!

M

Mark

Sometimes it is possible to straighten the mast by adjusting the tension of the lower vs upper shrouds. Once I straightened the mast for a 15' boat by jamming it between two medium-sized trees growing only a couple of feet apart and pushing on the other end. I would consider this a last resort option before buying a new mast. If you plan on sailing a lot in heavy weather I would just buy a new one; there are occasional reports of broken masts on mac's and the bend (and unbending) will weaken it slightly

M

Marty and Mike

does anyone know what they are getting for new mast? used would do too.

M

Mike

replacement

Your mast is the single most important piece of riggingon the boat. A bent mast may break and in so doing may take out the cabin roof when it collapses, requiring major fiberglass repairs. While not cheap, I would suggest a new mast. The last thing you want to have happen under sail in high winds is to see your rigging go over the side.Check web search engines for replacement masts. I believe that Perko has a cross section quite similat to the original Mac mast. Remember that Macs are built light, and as a result the mast does not have the ability for a larger load limit to start with. Save yourself and your boat what could be a nasty accident. wHEN IN DOUBT REPLACE. All peices of basic equipment ARE safety related. Good Luck, Mike

R

Ray Heath

mast prices

Go to Havencraft.com. They give you the option of buying a blank, or a complete mast. A complete one runs about $600.00. Ray

R

R Hoffelder

I had a similar problem 5 or so years ago. I installed turnbuckles to the shrouds and backstay then adjusted the tension all around until the mast bend was somewhat corrected. After one season the mast just about found its original shape and since has been quite acceptable.

S

Spiers

Boatbuilder fix

A lot of boatbuilders purchase flag poles and cut to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.