Beneteau Oceanis 34.1 Review

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Wife would like a new cruising boat for New England coastal sailing (Cape Cod-Newport-New York-Possibly Maine) . Last few kids leaving for college in 4 years & we have started to look for a possible replacement for our Cal 33-2, which has served us well over the past 20 years. Weekender, cruising, and beer can racing is our purpose. (in that order.)

34.1 got our attention because the twin helms seem to create more space aft, swim platform appears better for boarding/dinghy/swimming ect., and interior setup lets in more natural light, including portlights shining into the front cabin. Before looking more into something so different, we're going to charter a Beneteau 34.1 and sail around & make some observations. So I asked you, What are your thoughts? Advice? Experience? Thanks.

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Good idea! No better way to evaluate a boat to ensure that it fits your needs, than chartering the same model boat for a few days. I spent many charter days (and nights) on a same model boat prior to purchasing my present boat. Certainly you can read reviews & reach out to owner’s who have the same model for any idiosyncrasies that could be a common problem. I am not a fan of double helms and rudders on mid sized boats; however, that’s just my preference. Bottom line; if the boat fits; buy it! Good luck with your search.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It looks like you would be making a drastic change in style. Is that what attracts you? There is no mistaking it for a modern design. While I generally like the idea of modernization in design, this boat is pretty severe and I don't think it is my cup of tea. Just based on aesthetics, I don't like the plumb bow, the slab-sided topsides (I think it is the hard chines that disturb the looks of it), I've never liked those rectangular lights in the hull with the sharp corners (but I do like having lights in the hull), and I don't like the triangular shape created by that wide stern. Some of these features, like a wide spacious cockpit with the width carried aft, I do like but it's done on this boat to an extreme that I don't find appealing.

The natural light sounds appealing, but in our NJ climate, I would probably just find additional ceiling hatches as a bigger requirement for shade. The light is too hot in our climate to enjoy and I'd mostly be fussing over ways to cover the lights for shade. But in northern climes, I can understand the appeal. Also, I agree that the dual helm really opens up the cockpit to the stern - a great feature - but I would also consider that I prefer to set the boat on autopilot when cruising and even just day-sailing. Where just one helm station is a space to avoid, think of how wasteful it is to have 2 spaces to avoid! For sure, it is a feature that I would have to experience to know if it is a plus or minus. Based on my experience accessing some larger boats with dual helm, it's a great entrance to the boat from the stern, that's for sure!

I love the wide stern platform, but I think I would be satisfied with a narrower platform that doesn't spoil my image of what the stern should look like. The rudders look very small to me, but I suppose the surface area from 2 rudders makes up for the seemingly small profile.

I imagine that you are distinctly aware of how different this boat looks compared to the classic good looks of your Cal. I would never denigrate anybody for their style choices, but I am a little surprised that you would be considering such a departure from what you have. I don't think I could ever do that. This boat appears a lot more Euro design, and it reminds me of the Hanse designs. Excellent sailing boats, I'm sure, and probably will never detract from your enjoyment of sailing - probably only enhance your experiences.

If I was looking for a brand new boat with a modern design, I would definitely be looking at a Catalina 355 as a similar model but with style that suits me. I don't think I could make that change that you are contemplating. I know my comments are self-centered and probably not related to your considerations but your post is pretty open-ended and I don't know how my comments could be helpful to you, since I have no experience with this model. I can only relate it to my own reaction and I am curious how this boat attracts you because I'm sure there are some really good reasons besides the few that you have mentioned!

Jan 23, 2021
Catalina 315 81 Newport Beach
I agree with your assessment, Scott T-Bird. The styling of the Beneteau is just too severe for me, too. And I don’t like the table clogging up the middle of the saloon.

William, I suggest that you look at the Catalina 315 or Catalina 355 in addition to the Beneteau. The styling is more classical, and the interiors are warm and beautiful. Plus the seat for the helm is quite comfortable. Getting the folding wheel option means that the you don't have as much to walk around when going back to the swim step, which is quite generous and usable.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Do you anchor out or hang on moorings when you cruise, or do you grab a slip? Many people complain about "transom slap" in these wide boats with flat after sections when they tie up in a slip and the waves hit the underside of the hull aft. They're less noisy if at anchor or on a mooring. We sailed on a friend's Oceanis 45.1 and were surprised at the lack of handholds below. The 34.1 is obviously smaller, but the space below will almost seem like an apartment compared to a Cal 33. Make sure there are handholds. For racing, don't get too excited. On Long Island Sound the Oceanis with standard draft rates 138. Your Cal 33-2 rates 132.

PJL

Apr 22, 2014
Hunter 42 Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Saw comments about handholds inside. My Hunter passage 42 did not have them either; now it does... Easy to add. Just make sure that where ever they are attached is strong. I also added handholds around the inside of the companionway to make entry more safe.

As for the plumb bow, that is a very good thing. It adds waterline and, therefore, improves speed.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Thanks for finding a PHRF rating, surprised the Old Cal 33 holds up. Racing and performance is important for us, if only for making quicker passages & passing other sailboats... 1988 vs 2023... Owned the Cal for over 20 years, the design is radically different, the space, well here's some photos to compare. Catalina 355 looks very comfortable too., we want to try something completely on the other end of the design spectrum., we probably anchor more than dock, although looking @ price of new boat,. we have lot's of time to decide, right now, it's not possible, yet I feel compelled to sail on one.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Not sure I agree about a plumb bow. I will agree it adds waterline and hence speed - at least while motoring. But sailboats list while sailing. The classic hull shape with overhangs while listed had a long waterline too. But in light wind would have less wetted bottom and therefore less drag.
The wide flat aft sections of these modern hull shapes were conceived from racing machines that plane in windy downwind runs. I'm not sure that translates to a New England cruising boat. But no doubt the marketing departments love to show those spacious cabins.
There is a cost to those hull shapes and it is a deeper draft (Not New England friendly) and a large sail plan (Not cruising couple friendly). The marketers would counter that those boats can be sailed by a couple and their ads show that. They don't emphasize that the couple needs mechanical assistance to sail.
Just a different point of view.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
I started as a review of the Bene 34.1, because charter companies have them available to try...am also looking @ the Italia 11.98., If I may have your thoughts, these are more difficult to find outside of a sailing magazine. And my thread is to distilled the thoughts, advice, and honest think tank of experience here. I also got my daughter college tuition bill moments ago, and it's like the new sailboat dream might be pushed further away...maybe right over a cliff. However, I still want your input. Thank you.

Attachments

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I find modern designs like that attractive, so the 34.1 looks great to me. Chartering one sounds like an excellent idea.

Feb 19, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 38 Newport R I
Hi William, I like the way you are thinking. I had a 1972 Pearson 26 and decided it was too small I started looking at the Beneteau 34 and went aboard and realized in a minute it was not our boat. We decided if we are going to retire and cruise Newport and the Islands we needed a little more room and bought a Beneteau Oceanis 38. We love it for costal cruising and it sails like a dream. Double wheels and the swim platform make life easy.

MrH

Dec 29, 2023
Beneteau 34.1 Holyhead
Wife would like a new cruising boat for New England coastal sailing (Cape Cod-Newport-New York-Possibly Maine) . Last few kids leaving for college in 4 years & we have started to look for a possible replacement for our Cal 33-2, which has served us well over the past 20 years. Weekender, cruising, and beer can racing is our purpose. (in that order.)

34.1 got our attention because the twin helms seem to create more space aft, swim platform appears better for boarding/dinghy/swimming ect., and interior setup lets in more natural light, including portlights shining into the front cabin. Before looking more into something so different, we're going to charter a Beneteau 34.1 and sail around & make some observations. So I asked you, What are your thoughts? Advice? Experience? Thanks.

After much research, we have just bought a Beneteau 34.1 following the Southampton, England, International Boat Show. Since around 2016 all the major yacht manufacturers in Europe are selling designs with small fixed bowsprits for code 0 and/or cruising chutes, vertical bows and hard chine designs with the maximum beam at or near the transom. Similarly vertical transoms with a swim platform access maximizes the available cockpit space. So here in the UK we are now pretty familiar with these latest design concepts which start to look less radical as we get used to them. Indeed the 34.1 is a second generation design.
All these have twin rudders and twin helms. These give great control at all normal angles of heel. They work, of course, in tandem so the autohelm only needs to drive one rudder post. The only disadvantage is that you loose prop wash so a bow thruster is useful to de stress close maneuvering in tight or difficult marinas. We have included a bow thruster.
There are loads of excellent walk through videos online which go into detail, but all fail to give the impression of just how large the accommodation appears to be. The cockpit is fantastic, something special and the saloon belies the fact that you are only on a 34’ boat. You could easily be on something closer to 40’.
Our normal use is weekend, sometimes longer, cruising on the Irish Sea and the west coast of Scotland with family and friends. Rig and keel choices are several from in mast mains and self tacking headsails, to a regular genoa (110%) and pin head main, to the performance sails, the same genoa matched to a high roach, flat top main. We bought the latter with the deep 2mtr (6’7”) keel. Our only negative advice was to avoid the self tacking jib as it damages performance and the track fitting is untidy. The engine choice is a standard 21HP Yanmar, but the better option must be the 30HP engine.
Clearly the Beneteau 34.1 is ultra modern and I can well understand that it might not suit all tastes as these new designs are quite a departure from more traditional offerings. We made the decision following owning several other Beneteau’s over the years and after much consideration, but as they say in these parts “you pays your money and takes your choice.” Happy buying!

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I agree with the “deeper draft” comments completely. When we purchased our 2000 Hunter 340, new back in January 2000, we were advised against the 5’8” keel because of our sailing area. The same area you are wanting to go into.
We went with the 4’6” Wing Keel.
Given our main sailing area of Narragansett Bay, RI Sound it was a very good decision. The lobster pots and fish nets are to numerous.
Even with that “ not much shorter keel” we did snag a lobster pot line that had broken free from the pot it was attached to. It didn’t cause any damage to the boat, prop or shaft but it did wrap up.
Just my food for thought as you consider your next boat.
Good sailing to you though and enjoy the search.