Beneteau First 38 Owner's Manual

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
Hello friends.

I just purchased an 1983 Beneteau First 38 and have been looking for the owner's manual online without luck.

Does anybody out there know where I may be able to get that document or, better, has it and is willing to email it to me?

Jul 23, 2019
Beneteau First 38 San Francisco
JuanMarcos - I have all of the complete Owner's Manual from our newly acquired '84 First 38 (which is going to be one big project). I could scan/email you a copy. Something I'd love to have in return; a few key photos of certain areas in your First 38, as we are trying to bring her back to "better than new", but are visually missing a few key elements that I'm trying to sort out. - Stirling

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
Happy to help! Just let me know what you need. You can reach me at juan.deiros@gmail.com.

(BTW, My First 38 "Paloma" is currently docked in Galveston, TX but her original owner was from the San Francisco Bay Area and racer her extensively there)

Oct 9, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Belmont Harbor
Hi JuanMarcos & Hi Stirling,

Congrats to you both on the First 38 purchases. We have a 1984 First 38 which we purchased in 2013 and have no regrets. We are in Chicago and are on the water sailing 2 or 3 days every week when weather permits between May 1 and end of October

We have been working on catching up on deferred maintenance. We work on major projects every winter when she is stored in a warehouse. In Chicago all boats must be out of the harbors by the last day of October before winter arrives.

So far, we have done the following:

- Rudder restoration

- Replacement of all thru-hulls (7)

- Replacement of instruments/electronics

- Replacement of keel bolts

- Removal of rotted wood mast step base and replacement with GRP (Glass Reinforced Polyester) mast step base

- Replacement of fixed portals

- Removal & rebuilding of Perkins 4108 diesel engine

- Removal of sagging, vinyl liner from interior

We have done all of the above ourselves, except for the rudder restoration and the engine rebuilding.

Do not hesitate to contact us for advice on what we have done.

We have the following which we can forward:

- BENETEAU First 38 Brochure (ca. 1983)

- BENETEAU First 38 Magazine Advertisement (ca. 1983)

- Perkins 4108 manuals

- ISOMAT Spar Catalog

Also, I too would be very grateful to get a copy of a complete First 38 Owner’s Manual.

However, I noted that the manual uploaded to the BENETEAU Owners Facebook group earlier today is for the BENETEAU First 38s5 (Co-designed by Jean Berret & Phillippe Starck) which was first offered in ~ 1989.

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
Hello Doug.
I'm still on the hunt for the owner's manual, but have a question for you: where/how is the bilge pump connected to the floating switch? The pump on my boat is located in the engine compartment and the only way to make it run is switching it on manually on the panel at the nav station. I would like to install a switch, but could use some advice figuring out how to install it and wire it.

Sep 9, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Maryland Yacht Club
That PDF of the owner's manual is the same one sent to us back when we were collecting information for our TM/SD 1984 First 38 that we purchased in 2016. I've never found any other. We got some help back then, still need help, and are happy to offer help too. We have all the same issues I think others have (basically Doug's list!), that we are slowly working on. This probably isn't the thread for that (for example, keel bolts were replaced after the survey and before we bought our boat - they rust, and now are clogging bilge pump #5, which we need because we do get a lot of water in the bilge).

Lee

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
That PDF of the owner's manual is the same one sent to us back when we were collecting information for our TM/SD 1984 First 38 that we purchased in 2016. I've never found any other. We got some help back then, still need help, and are happy to offer help too. We have all the same issues I think others have (basically Doug's list!), that we are slowly working on. This probably isn't the thread for that (for example, keel bolts were replaced after the survey and before we bought our boat - they rust, and now are clogging bilge pump #5, which we need because we do get a lot of water in the bilge).

Lee
Yes, I've come to the conclusion that what I've been able to gather is all that there is, so I am happy there's a forum where we can stay connected.

capo

Apr 14, 2015
We also own a 1984 First 38 since 2015 and located in San Francisco. I'll be happy to help or join the conversation regarding First 38. We quite like ours.

capo

Apr 14, 2015
You might already have this manual. See attached. Not sure if this is what you are asking but my float switch is installed in the bilge recess by the keel, where there is a little floor access board under the table.
Omer

Attachments

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
You might already have this manual. See attached. Not sure if this is what you are asking but my float switch is installed in the bilge recess by the keel, where there is a little floor access board under the table.
Omer
Thank you Coqui.