Beneteau First 235 (keel, blisters, cabin liner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeto

Jun 11, 2004
- - xxx
Hi to all, I am looking to purchase a Beneteau First 235 and have heard that this boat could have problems with blisters due to defective resin, rusted keel(the keel I understand is made out of cast iron), and a head liner that deterioates very fast. Can anyone offer any information as to how serious these problems are? Thanks, Yeto

P

Pat Patterson

Yoo Yeto

Yeto: you are possibly correct however, I own a 235 on a custom trailer, with a fresh bottom paint and a new hull polish. The trailer is in primer and has full bunks (Not Pads) and will hold up to 27-28 feet. I'm leaving for Europe in September and it started E-bay tonight/ (Tuesday night or Wednesday morning). You want a boat ...name your price... I'm going to a B-m38-2. Home 707.965.3309 and cell 707.291.0891 or E-mail ppatterson700@sbcglobal.net THANKS. 8/24/04

P

Pat Patterson

Mr. Yeto

Yeto: you are possibly correct however, I own a 235 on a custom trailer, with a fresh bottom paint (NO BLISTERS, ever) and a new hull polish. The trailer is in primer and has full bunks (Not Pads) and will hold up to 27-28 feet. I'm leaving for Europe in September and it started E-bay tonight/ (Tuesday night or Wednesday morning). You want a boat ...name your price... I'm going to a B-m38-2. Home 707.965.3309 and cell 707.291.0891 or E-mail ppatterson700@sbcglobal.net THANKS. 8/24/04

Jun 25, 2004
Islander 36 San Francisco
I think these problems are over blown.

Hi Yeto— I have seen a number of boats with resin problems but I have not seen a 235 with this type of problem. I know that Beneteau did make some boats with what they describe was a bad batch of resin some time ago but I don’t think any of these were 235’s. All boats with cast iron keels have problem in that area but most 235’s spend a lot of time on trailers so I would like that their problems in this area would be less than most larger boats. But the headliner is a problem. Sooner or later it is going to have to be replaced, in every 235. I don’t know if “deterioates very fast” is really a fair statement however as most of these boats are 15 years old now and 15 years is a long time for any headliner. Still it is a pain to replace. IMHO the 235 can be a wonderful sailing boat. Hope you find one you like. Good luck. --Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.