Beneteau Closing Marion SC Plant

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
COVID hits another business.

My 235 was built there. Sad to see it happen.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Same here. Can’t find any other sources other than the one local news article though. Nothing on the Beneteau corporate site, and the Beneteau USA spare parts site still has the same blurb about slowdowns for COVID, nothing else. Wishful thinking but maybe news of their demise is exaggerated.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
They talked to an employee in the news story that said they are closing the plant. They reported information from Beneteau that September 15th is the last day. Beneteau itself is not shutting down. They are just closing the US facility. It was pretty clear if you watched it.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Beneteau itself is not shutting down. They are just closing the US facility. It was pretty clear if you watched it.
If it is true, have to wonder about the parts department, at the SC facility, that provided replacement parts to existing Beneteau owners. If the plant is closing, hopefully it is a temporary closure until the covid virus abates. After researching, I saw that the plant was closed for a while in the spring because of covid virus concerns for workers as well as interruption in their supply chain. The plant reopened in May.
Beneteau has been a mainstay is US sailboat sales over the years; would hate to see the US plant close permanently. I don't think that they could compete effectively in the US, having to ship boats from Europe and price in various taxes on exports imposed by the UK and import fees in the US.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Economically it would make sense for any European company to relocate to Canada. Under CETA all parts built in Europe come into Canada duty free and if built and assembled in Canada they go into the US duty free and there is also a 35% exchange rate on the dollar . Then if it were to locate in Quebec there's no language barrier either from head office. This could reduce the price of the boats , parts and or increase profits. From the 1970's to 1990's Ontario and Quebec had the most sailboat manufacturing in the world, from Bayfield, Canadian Sailcraft, Aloha, C&C, Niagara , Huges,Ajax, Hinterhoaller(nonsuch), Grampian, Tanzer,Mirage, Whitby, just to name a few. Marskeel is one of companies left that still produces most of the keels today .Klacko spars being another.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I sent Ward, at Beneteau, an email.

Got this back as clarification. "The Oceanis 35.1, 38.1 and 46.1 will be produced in France next year. The customer support, for parts and after sales, will still be managed from the US"

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When production of boats goes abroad, that is not a sure sign the plant will reopen. I was advised to listen what the employees are saying. The plant is closing. As for relocating to Canada , that has not been mentioned. Other things were told to me but I am of the opinion Beneteau is leaving the country.

However, Catalina is still building boats. With Beneteau and Hunter gone, Catalina will benefit.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Just my 2 cents.

It all comes down to cost. Beneteau is heavily subsidized by France. Hunters manufacturing moved to the East because it's of cheaper but skilled labour.
I wouldn't be surprised if Catalina decides to move East or South to reduce costs also.
They won't be coming to Canada. Labour costs here are the same as in the USA.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I wouldn't be surprised if Catalina decides to move East or South to reduce costs also.
I'm pretty sure Catalina moved out of California and to South Florida a few years ago.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I wonder if Jeanneau is one of the causes as they seem more popular with the US cruising market focus. The new walk around deck boats seem hot and what the consumer wants. For me, my wife loves the 440, tried to show her the larger Oceanis, but it was nope. We are planning for a loaded up 440 100% easy cruising with AC, genset, bow thruster, furling main, self tacking jib and powered winches.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I wonder if Jeanneau is one of the causes as they seem more popular with the US cruising market focus. The new walk around deck boats seem hot and what the consumer wants. For me, my wife loves the 440, tried to show her the larger Oceanis, but it was nope. We are planning for a loaded up 440 100% easy cruising with AC, genset, bow thruster, furling main, self tacking jib and powered winches.
You must have hit the lottery! :)

That's a beautiful boat.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Hey Beneteau! Move to Alberta! We have no environmental oversight, lots of unemployed oilfield workers who would love ingesting ketone all day and theres a large number of splash ponds to test water integrity, which are shallow enough to test the keel bolt design. Theres lots of bridge clearance, and a lot of access east and west.
The pesky issue of the border can be worked out later.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I'm pretty sure Catalina moved out of California and to South Florida a few years ago.
Yes. They moved in 2007 or 8 to Florida. California's environmental laws and overall business atmosphere became overwhelming for one and a sales analysis showed that 70% of their boats were sold east of the Mississippi. It seemed like a good business decision at the time then the economy tanked. Timing is every thing.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First an insight. Catalina and other manufacturers were forced to basically shut down due to regulations forced upon them by the State of California, thus the move to open in Florida. Discussion based on with management to include Frank Butler. Catalina is building boats at the Florida facility

As for Hunter, it started in New Jersey where the regulations and taxes were such that the manufacture of Hunters went to Florida. At the time I understood labor rates were about the same in both states based on discussion with Warren Luhrs

As for Beneteau, yes I know more than most but I have alot of friends in this industry whom I respect. Believe what the employees are saying. There are no plans to go to Canada nor South America.

Remember the Greatest Generation of WWII and what they fought for. Leave this at that.