Beneteau 473 stern platform locker

Aug 21, 2019
Beneteau 473 Montreal
We just bought a 2002 Beneteau 473. On the stern platform, port side, is a locker, the bottom of which is below the waterline. At the lowest part of the locker is a drain hole, under which is a clamshell fitting. When the boat is at rest, there is about 8" of water in the locker. Underway, the clamshell fitting promotes evacuation of the water. What is the purpose of this locker????

Seems to me, the locker just gets grungy with marine growth. Any use for this locker, other than as a live fish well or to store lobsters when cruising in Maine?

Any advice on how to manage this locker or convert it to other, dry usable space? The rest of the boat is great; we bought it despite this weird locker, which has me thinking WTF! Thanks in advance!
Mark

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
We use ours for the dingy gas can. It keeps the gas “out of the boat”. I just have to make sure the container is sealed. Yes sea water comes in and out as we sail, but at least there are no gas fumes inside the boat.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
On my 423 the bottom is above the water line, however underway the stern dips and some water comes in..... anyway it is where I also store gas can for dinghy.

Apr 29, 2014
Beneteau 473 Charleston
I extended the drain tube upwards and added foam, then glassed it in to raise the bottom of the locker above the water line. I also use the locker for extra dinghy fuel.