Beneteau 473 Dripless shaft seal

Alex S

Mar 30, 2022
Beneteau 473 Medford
Hello, I recently purchased a 2002 Beneteau 473 and one of the required items I have to repair from the survey was replacement of the Dripless. I unfortunately live across the US from where the vessel is currently on the hard and would like to get one coming before flying back to the vessel to splash it. I know I have a 30 mm prop shaft but I can't find any information on the size of the stern tube. I am hoping someone here knows what the measurement is for the 473 that I need to order. It has a Volvo Penta TMD22-P if that make any difference I'm not sure if it does. Thanks in advance.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
As @Davidasailor26 said, they only make one for a 30mm shaft. The clamp for the shaft log end is pretty robust and can be adjusted to fit.

So, if you have a Volvo Penta shaft seal, and a 30mm shaft, only 1 choice it seems.

Greg

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Hello, I recently purchased a 2002 Beneteau 473 and one of the required items I have to repair from the survey was replacement of the Dripless.
Don't forget to replace the shaft seal cooling water nipple attached to the shaft/stern tube while you're replacing the shaft seal.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I just removed mine, 1993 Beneteau 45F5. 30mm shaft and a looks to be aproximately 1 7/8" stern tube. I need to measure with a caliper before ordering the new one.. The one I removed was PSS, I will be replacing with the same.

Alex S

Mar 30, 2022
Beneteau 473 Medford
I believe the 'working' email for Ward is.. ward.richardson@beneteauusa.com

I'm considering redoing my seal but trying to decide between the OEM seal shown above or a Tides Marine or PYI dripless.. certainly the Volvo is the least costly.
Thank you for the contact I will attempt to reach out to him. Mine is currently a PYI dripless. They (PYI) offer multiple sized stern tube for the 30 MM shaft. Although cost for Volvo is better I feel the reliability isn't there and this is one item I fear you shouldn't go cheap with.

I just removed mine, 1993 Beneteau 45F5. 30mm shaft and a looks to be aproximately 1 7/8" stern tube. I need to measure with a caliper before ordering the new one.. The one I removed was PSS, I will be replacing with the same.
They customer service person from PYI stated they believed that 1 3/4" was the common size for Beneteau's of our size with 30 MM shaft but was not able to confirm that. And if you look how their sizing works it would be the 30mm X 1 3/4"-1 7/8". So it will be interesting to find out if this is the case for yours and mine both. Thanks let me know what you find.

Jan 7, 2014
I measured mine with a caliper yesterday. It was 1.89in or 48mm. 1 7/8 is the closest fit.

May 11, 2015
Beneteau 323 Sakonnet, RI
If you replace the Volvo PSS with a PYI you will have to fiberglass the hole in the fiberglass for the threaded nipple. Inside and out. Worth it

Jan 7, 2014
It looks like that same seal will fit my boat or I can go with the PYI shaft seal. The Volvo Penta looks much easier to install and is half the price. Which is better?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I really like the simplicity of the Volvo seal. 8 seasons and no issues with mine.

Jan 7, 2011
I just upgraded from a traditional stuffing box to a Volvo Penta shaft seal.

Just launched my boat this week, so no real time on the seal yet…but she isn’t leaking in the slip:cool:

And you can see how more compact it is vs my old one…
4D98085B-064E-42E9-80B6-A75197F32085.jpeg

Installed on the shaft…
6EEFD45D-0E13-4AAA-B72E-78E7AAC0BFE6.jpeg

Greg

May 11, 2015
It looks like that same seal will fit my boat or I can go with the PYI shaft seal. The Volvo Penta looks much easier to install and is half the price. Which is better?
In my opinion PYI. Two graphite o rings in the collar. Beneteau is a production boat, they save some pennies going with Volvo

also I had to replace my PSS because I broke the threaded hose-barb in the fiberglass log working on the engine.

was happy to glass over (and under) the “thru hull fitting” for the threaded hose barb

with PYI the hose barb is part of the PSS

Jan 7, 2014
Thanks, I ordered the PYI. I don't see any hose barb in my shaft log, maybe it was glassed over. I think I'll stick with what already worked on the boat originally. I bought this boat 4 years ago and have no idea of the age of the one I removed but there was absolutely no spring left in the bellows, it was hardened in place. The collar got nicked up during removal, that plus the unknown age led me to replace the entire setup.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
So why do you advise PYI / PSS shaft seals?
My Volvo seal is 15 years old (replacing it on upcoming haulout). Has never leaked a drop & minimal maintenance of lubricating once per year. No springs nor carbon interfaces to wear or adjust. The Volvo seal is simple and effective. I have ordered same for replacing my current seal just because it is overdue for replacement.

May 11, 2015
So why do you advise PYI / PSS shaft seals?
My Volvo seal is 15 years old (replacing it on upcoming haulout). Has never leaked a drop & minimal maintenance of lubricating once per year. No springs nor carbon interfaces to wear or adjust. The Volvo seal is simple and effective. I have ordered same for replacing my current seal just because it is overdue for replacement.
The PYI rubber bellows thicker
Two graphite O-rings in the stainless steel collar

The hose barb fitting in the fiberglass log for the Volvo water feed is a very flimsy set up, not what I want in a through HULL fitting.

Personal preference
Aye Big Easy always enjoy your posts

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
The PYI rubber bellows thicker
Two graphite O-rings in the stainless steel collar

The hose barb fitting in the fiberglass log for the Volvo water feed is a very flimsy set up, not what I want in a through HULL fitting.

Personal preference
Aye Big Easy always enjoy your posts
The PYI is a mechanical seal get some crap between the 2 surfaces and they score . I have changed hundreds of these types of seals ,and sometimes when they fail its not a drip like the volvo its like a hose turned on , I have also seen rips in the bellows hose pouring water into boat and it must be replaced every 5 years . The Volvo is a much simplier and safer option, even when it starts to drip you can put a hose clamp around it and apply pressure stopping any leak. Many people that have installed them ,have later said Why did I do this. If you want the thru hull fitting Vetus makes the same Volvo seal with hose barrb built in.
I would also suggest you install a bilge alarm if you go pss ,you may have a foot of water before you go down while sailing

Jan 7, 2011
Your boat, your choice. But I will say I was surprised at the thickness of the Volvo seal rubber.

Seems quite substantial to me.

This, and the fact that I am cheap (or frugal), led me to chose the Volvo over the more sophisticated PSS with (I expect) thinner bellows.

But like I said, YMMV…your mileage may vary.

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The Volvo is a much simplier and safer option, even when it starts to drip you can put a hose clamp around it and apply pressure stopping any leak. Many people that have installed them ,have later said Why did I do this. If you want the thru hull fitting Vetus makes the same Volvo seal with hose barrb built in.
That Vetus seal looks pretty good; definitely simplifies the inherent problems with the hose barb.