Beneteau 41s5 1990 poor sea valves!!

Jul 13, 2009
Parker Skipjack 37 Clearwater
My new to me beneteau 41s5 does not have any seacocks! Just lever valves. While changing the fron heads toilet the lever easily snapper of and started leaking! Corrosion from different metals. I cant tell just what these sea valves are . Most just have 1/2 stamped on them. The whole plumbing is a dangerous mess that is very unsafe. For example -The shower drain is combined with the vanity sink drain across the passage way and is below waterline. The bilge pump atop the keel is combined with the sink drain. Did the boat com this crazy way or was it changed . One 1-1/2valve for aft head drain says " combaco" on it " I plan to move the bilge drains to above the waterline at hull sides instaed of thru the deep bottom. Anybody advise on this situation??

Jul 13, 2009
Ball style valves with red plastic coated lever handles made of steel that rusts easily. Looks like these were factory installed (but they have fractions stanpmed on them like 1/2. ) There is lots of other screwy plumbing -for instance the shower drain fwd crosses to the vanity and dumps into the vanity drain just above the waterline. and the galley sink drain combines with a blige pump drain. Are most beneteaus like this ? Have many sunk because of this? Thanka all.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The shower drain joining the sink drain doesn’t sound like a problem and could be original- it saves one extra thru hull. The bilge pump sharing with the galley sink doesn’t sound as good, but I don’t know if that’s original or not. I know current Beneteaus do share the shower/sink drain, but have dedicated thru hulls for the manual and electric bilge pumps.

As for the seacocks, here’s a Practical Sailor article from that era where the Conbraco ball valve seacocks seemed pretty respectable - https://s30384.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/1994seacock_practicalsailor.pdf

RossH

Mar 2, 2021
Beneteau Oceanis 461 Fort Lauderdale
Beneteau had the very bad practice of combining straight-thread through-hulls with pipe-threaded ball valves. This creates an interference fit - basically jams the valve on. Terrible. If you're seeing corrosion of the through hulls, replace them now before you lose the boat - I recommend the Forespar "sea valve" line - very tough and corrosion proof. OEM - Thru Hulls Valves

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Beneteau had the very bad practice of combining straight-thread through-hulls with pipe-threaded ball valves
Can you name one production sailboat which doesn't use this combination of threads with thru hulls ? Not saying it's right, just saying it's the practice.

RossH

Mar 2, 2021
Beneteau Oceanis 461 Fort Lauderdale
Can you name one production sailboat which doesn't use this combination of threads with thru hulls ? Not saying it's right, just saying it's the practice.
Sure - J boat, Catalina, I'm sure there's a bunch of others.

Jul 13, 2009
I am going to replace all sea valves in the boat with Forespare marelon ball valves asap!! A couple of the 1 1/2 valves have been replaced with Conbraco ball vales -but these too will corrode. Im have allready replace one bilge pump and ran it way up to a forespar "U" under the deck and back down to 12"' above W-L thru hull instead of out below hull. Theres is lots of good stuff about my Benny but plumbing and electric are not included.

Jul 13, 2009
The shower drain joining the sink drain doesn’t sound like a problem and could be original- it saves one extra thru hull. The bilge pump sharing with the galley sink doesn’t sound as good, but I don’t know if that’s original or not. I know current Beneteaus do share the shower/sink drain, but have dedicated thru hulls for the manual and electric bilge pumps.

As for the seacocks, here’s a Practical Sailor article from that era where the Conbraco ball valve seacocks seemed pretty respectable - https://s30384.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/1994seacock_practicalsailor.pdf
OK My boaty has had 2 of the original French brass ball style replaced with Conbraco ball valves, probably when the Ac units were installed in mid 90s , They too need to go as they are stuck and wont close. They too are made of different metals and are guaranteed to corrode in sea salt water. duh.