Beneteau 411 vs 423 + Other 40's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducati

Nov 19, 2008
Boatless Boatless Annapolis
Seasons Greetings

I like both the 411 and 423 and would like to hear from owners who can comment about their likes and dislikes.

One day we will sell the 36.7 and go cruising in something that is a bit more comfortable.

Also, looking for suggestions as to any other boats in the 40' range that we might consider for mostly coastal cruising or possibly a crossing.

Thanks

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
The 393 is a good choice. Get the owners version, not the charter 3 cabin. Amazing room. I might be a bit biased. :)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ducati, you're a Beneteau skipper, but you might want to consider the Catalina 42. They made three or four different interiors. The one with the galley on the starboard side is horrible, but the ones with the aft port galley are just fine.

Ducati

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina's Are Nice Boats Too

Ducati, you're a Beneteau skipper, but you might want to consider the Catalina 42. They made three or four different interiors. The one with the galley on the starboard side is horrible, but the ones with the aft port galley are just fine.
Thanks Stu

I'm really impressed with the Catalina's. My wife loves their interiors and in my opinion the are one of the best (solid) made production boats on the market today. I also like the fact that they keep the real wood to a minimum. I hate maintaining teak. I don't know why they are not available for charter in the BVI's.

Regards,

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The B423, B393, and Catalina42 MKII were on my short list when I purchased the B411. I have sailed them all, extensively.

All are fine boats. And your individual choice would be best informed by the particular boat available to you and your personal tastes. In other words, in the right condition any one model may be the better choice.

The forward head configuration is in my opinion a superior layout. You can't sleep in a v-berth while underway, but you can use a forward head as a sail locker and superior spin-sail rigging area. It is perfect. The B423 doesn't have it. The Catalina 42 2 cabin does.

The B393 seems much smaller than the B411, probably because of the pullman/forward head is where Beneteau took out the 1.5 feet of length. The B423 and B393 share the same Beneteau cabin-top fixed light installations and it is not a matter of if they will become scored and leak but when. Especially if you favor a traditional flaking mainsail. Your crew will walk on those lights and the seals will fail. The Cat42 MKII doesn't have these fixed lights on the cabin top.

The Catalina42 2 cabin has a great galley, and fantastic storage, engine access. You pay for that galley with a saloon that doesn't make into useable sea berths. And the nav-station (a fading design feature) is pushed forward to the mast, where it is in the way and far from the helm.

The Catalina has the best headroom (I'm 6'3") and the most freeboard and higher cabin top - something to consider if you go to sea. The B411 has the lowest cabin top clearance of all - easy to scramble forward. You pay for this with a noticeably more confined interior.

The B411 holds twice the freshwater of the Catalina42, but has half the holding tank volume.

I'm not a fan of the wing-keel, and that is the only way you can get a shoal-draft Cat42. They're a bear to get unstuck from the mud.

All three boats have stout, double-spreader rigs and are available with slab reefing. All have the scoop stern swim platform, unfortunately a fading production design element. None play with the silly twin helm arrangement. All three boats are available with a superior aft galley arrangement suitable for cooking while underway.

In summary, the 42 foot range (B411 & Cat42 MKII) is the goldilocks solution - just right. Fast and smooth motion, especially when the going gets rough. And just small enough to singlehand. Especially so because all the controls are led aft. My preference fell to the Beneteau, she's a sailors boat, great fit and finish topside and below, and the prettier shear. If my wife was buying we probably would have ended up on the Catalina.

Bob846

Jun 7, 2004
Beneteau 423 Long Beach/Los Angeles
I have a chartered a 393 and live on a 423. If an actual shower stall is important, then go for the 423. The 393 may fit into tighter spots, but the 423 is a great sailor and the king size bed in the aft cabin is fantastic (but a little coffin-like). The additional space in the 423 is also welcome. There is a great forum of 423 owners @ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Beneteau423/. The 411 is a cross between the 393 and 423 and the 411s are pretty rare out here on the west coast. The 423 is one of the most popular Beneteaus ever built (I have hull #338 - 2007). If you will do extended passages in heavy seas, all of these boats will somewhat disappoint as there are no really good sea-berths in any of them (393, 423, Catlina 42, etc.). In this case, you may want look at an older Valient, Crealock, or something really made for extended passage-making. Of course, the Beneteaus and Catalinas are still up to the task. Your dealer will dictate the after-market service you will get, but I've always been impressed with Catalina. Beneteau (along with Jeanneau) seem to be more innovative and continue to develop their lines while Catalina seems to be slower rolling out new models. These new models may, or may not be as appealing as the older models, but that's a matter of taste.

Attaching picture of my 423 underway. Best of luck with your decision!

Attachments

Ducati

Nov 19, 2008
Thanks Bob

Like the 423 a bit more because of the fact that looks more up to date than the 411.

How does it handle heavy seas/weather?

Regards,

Dec 29, 2011
Beneteau 423 Houston, TX
Dinghy tie-downs on foredeck of 423

Bob846,

I am trying to figure out how best to lash down a dinghy on the foredeck, so your photo was of interest to me. I have two fold-down padeyes at the front of the cabin top (just in front of the large forepeak hatch) but no other convenient tie-down point back around the mast. Did you add tie-down points/anchors for the aft end of your dinghy?

Bob846

Jun 7, 2004
Beneteau 423 Long Beach/Los Angeles
Sorry for the late reply.
The boat picture was taken by a helicopter. The service is called boatpix.com and they randomly fly over and take pictures. You go online and put in your information including boat name, date, and time you think they came by. They send you the pictures and you keep what you want and send back the rest. They are expensive at $250/picture, but I figure this is a one shot.
I have not sailed the 423 in really heavy seas or weather. However, it is a pretty forgiving boat and very responsive. My winds typically are 15-25 knots with swell and wind waves in the 2-5 foot range. She likes to be sailed level and I try and keep the degree of heel below 20 degrees. I have the deep keel model and even when over canvassed, have not rounded up yet. Check the yahoo group's website and others are sailing this boat all over world in some pretty wicked stuff.
I never tow the dinghy offshore and really don't like the davits. I have the 10 foot Achilles with the inflatible floor. When not in seasonal use, it is rolled up and stowed in the starboard lazerette. I use the two jackline padeyes to secure the bow of the dinghy and installed two additional padeyes near the mast for the stern of the dinghy. I fashioned a 4 point bridle to lift the dinghy and use the spinnaker halyard run back to the one of the cabintop mounted winches. After on deck, it is easy to flip the dinghy over and secure to the padeyes.
Happy New Year everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.