Beneteau 361 shaft seal

PovilO

Oct 9, 2017
Beneteau 361 New York
My volvo shaft seal is too hard to inject any grease into it and is well over 5 years old.
While it is not leaking the seacock feeding it is green. I do not have confidence in the whole setup.
I would like to replace it with a PSS shaft seal and eliminate the water intake seacock.
Has anyone done this on a 361? Advice?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Replace the Volvo seal sooner rather than later. I don’t know if there is enough room between the shaft log and the coupling to install a PSS seal, but that would be my choice. If the water fitting is showing corrosion, that could be an accident waiting to happen.
Either way, that is a job I would pay someone to do rather than do it myself. My time is worth more ..

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”
If your shaft seal is original to the boat, it is at least 16 years old, or older, & still not leaking. I certainly agree that the seal is overdue for replacement (10 year recommended replacement interval); however, a replacement seal is only $100. Change the thru hull fittings & stern tube water fitting for another $100 and you’re good. If your ball valve assembly is green, not a problem, when they have a pink color they will fail. Again, at over 15 years I would replace it. A 1/2” bronze thru hull, valve, & tailpiece is too inexpensive to take a chance. Furthermore, I am not a fan of the strainer type thru hull fittings that Beneteau used and the metallurgy of their fittings are suspect. Not knocking PSS seals; however, they are expensive and need routine maintenance too.
I have replaced my thru hull assembly and stern tube fitting already; plan to replace the shaft seal with another Volvo on next haul out. To grease the seal, fill a drinking straw with Volvo grease and flatten the end of the straw with one hand. Squeeze the shaft seal tightly withe the other hand while simultaneously inserting the flat straw end into the slightly puckered edge of the shaft seal.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I thought the original poster was referring to the small fitting sticking up from the top of the shaft log. If that was corroded it just multiplies the chances of fracturing. That itself would be the primary reason to replace the Volvo seal with a PSS.
As Bigeasy said, if the corrosion is pink, then that fitting is brass, not bronze.
I have not replaced my Volvo seal yet, Its not dripping and I can still sneak a flattened straw under the lip to grease it.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I thought the original poster was referring to the small fitting sticking up from the top of the shaft log. If that was corroded it just multiplies the chances of fracturing.
Definitely need to change the nipple that is attached to the shaft log or at the least, remove it and inspect it. I usually remove the nipple to inspect on haul out every three years. Replaced it at twelve years, surprisingly, the original still looked good.