Beneteau 361 performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

br111

Feb 23, 2010
Beneteau 343 Lake Texoma
By my signature line, you can see we haven't picked a boat yet. I've been researching 361s, remember them from the 2001 boat show. We liked it then, and am now revisiting them (now that we can actually afford one ;-)

My question is the performance. I have read about it being mediocre. Exactly how mediocre? Is it a slug, or is it at least not the slowest boat in its equivalent class? (I don't expect it to be a 36.1 or First, but I'm used to a 311 with a SA/D that was very high). Anyone try a genny one for light air?

Sep 24, 2006
Sabre 36 Express Chattanooga, TN
You can't sleep on a Thistle

I own a 361 in a "light wind area" (Tennessee River). I have owned many boats and I think the B361 is the absolute best I have owned. Yes, my Thistle went to weather in light wind like a rocket, but I couldn't sleep on it. :)
The B361 sails better than any other "cruiser" I have sailed. I owned an S2 9.2A, for example, that didn't sail in light air at all. I have chartered many cruising boats and none have been as lively as the B361. I've sailed Hunters and Catalinas and never found one that performs as well as the Beneteau. Very nice boats with some features better than the Beneteau, but they didn't sail as well.
With the 140 genoa (designed sail) she performs beautifully as long as there is 3 to 4 knots of wind. Below that, it's time for the Yanmar.
And when the wind picks up, she sails like a laser. Going to weather in winds over 15 knots, I have to play the main traveler to keep her on her feet. Over 18, I put in the first reef in the main. (By the way, mine has a "classic" main with 4 full battens, not a furler). I also change out headsails to my 100 percent jib at that point if I am going to be sailing for any length of time. I've never found a big genoa that performs very well "roller reefed."
I don't know where you have read about the performance being mediocre. Compared to boat with a 7 foot fin keel and a carbon mast, I'm sure it might be, but for a boat that is comfortable to cruise, I don't think you will find a better performer in this size range.
Another good indicator of this is the assigned PHRF number. I don't have it in front of me to give you the specific number, but it is very low (like 115 or so)...meaning that it is fast and you are expected to beat most other boats to the finish line. PHRF numbers aren't perfect, but they can give you some relativity of a boat's sailing ability if you want to compare them between boats.
As you can tell, I'm a big fan of the B361. In today's market, you can steal one.
Agaliha

br111

Feb 23, 2010
Beneteau 343 Lake Texoma
Thanks much! I should have thought to check the PHRF. The source was an article/review I read and a couple of comments I had heard a while back. One was probably jaded because it was from a sales guy with a 361 trying to sell a 373.

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
Mediocre? I really had to look at a dictionary to find the meaning of this word (English is not my native language)!! So is Beneteau 361 a slow boat?
No way. I have a Beneteau Oceanis 361, the French version with deep keel 1.80m (I think that’s 6 feet) with the bulb at the bottom. Sails include a furling main sail and a 130% genoa, so nothing fancy or race staff. The boat points very well and is faster in comparison to many other cruisers, either of similar size or even bigger. I go to club races often with excellent results.
In as little as 6-7 knots the boat will move around 3-4 knots (not downwind of course. I have a spinnaker for this). At 60 degrees to the wind, a little chop and around 12-14 knots true wind (a sailor’s dream in other words) the boat average speeds above 7 knots. In higher winds the boat will also be very fast (even at 35 degrees to the wind) provided you balance the sails well and respect the 20 degrees heel limit. OK, you can push it even more but in general this boat doesn’t like large angles.
So in general this boat, even with a furling main sail performs very well. A classic main sail will improve its light wind performance but personally I am happy with the in mast furling.

larryw

Jun 9, 2004
Beneteau OC400 Long Beach, CA
My Bene Oeanis 400 is for sale and it has a PHRF rating of 111. Excellent condition, with the two-cabin interior. Check yachtworld.

Oct 24, 2009
Benteau Oceanis 361 Lake Murray, SC
I have been sailing since I was 7 and am now scratching 49, so 42 years of sailing, some years more than others. I bought my 361 in the fall of 2000 and have been sailing her ever since, strictly on a large inland lake in SC. During the course of the year we see and have sailed in everything from dead calm to 35 knots sustained out of the west. I have single handed her in all conditions, however the top end is not something I care to do again. Anyway, the point is I have had the opportunity to put her through alot! A pig boat, a slug .... I should say not! She will not point as well as some of the other boats I have owned, I attribute allot of that to the keel design, and the cheap stock sails, but she turns in a respectable show none the less. There is a large sailing community here with four clubs on the lake and racing is taking seriously to say the least. I have had good days and bad days. Do feel the PHRF is somewhat optimistic, but then it could be the skipper as my best friend continously reminds me. I have had the wifes permission to upgrade to a bigger boat for about five years now, the reality is for what we do, she is the perfect boat. If you are really looking for a racing boat, look elsewhere. But for general sailing, the local weekend regatta, and ease of handling you cannot go wrong buying the 361. Good luck in your quest.

bgs

luken7

Aug 21, 2010
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Oriental
Loving this thread, reinforces my decision

Good day all, we're about to close on a B361 late next week, been in the market now for almost two years. My sailing experience is a few years with mostly chartering on the east coast. The B361 for us, is the ideal size. Large enough for my wife and I, and our two boys. Small enough to be single-handed.

We love the live aboard abilities and her sailing abilities. Well built, points well but it winds above 15 knots, wife doesn't like the heel. I love it though. We'll be sailing her back from Connecticut back to North Carolina late next month. Will be a great sail.

Status
Not open for further replies.