Beneteau 361 new owner

Swoon

Aug 16, 2021
Beneteau Oceanis361 Hamilton
Hi all .and thank you for having this group...and allowing this neophyte to join.
Just bought a 2004 Oceanis 361 and have questions about:
A. Through hull replacement fittings (were to obtain bronze ones)
B. Main and Jib furling system (cannot get main out)
C. Best place(s) to get parts such as prop zincs, stuffing boxes, rudder parts , canvas, cushions
D. Any info on changing batteries to lithium

Literally hoping this forum can be a source for questions I have or direction I need.
Cheers.....
.CHARLIE ....aboard Swoon in Bermuda.

Swoon

Aug 16, 2021
So first up...were can I get a complete set of bronze through hull fittings, plus lever valves for the Beneteau 361?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

You will find this site is great source for getting questions answered and/or providing direction.

A. Thru-hull fittings - local or on-line marine chandlery or this site BeneteauOwners.com search For thru-hull valves recommend bronze.
B. Main and jib furling system (cannot get main out) - assume jib furler is OK. What mainsail mast/furler manufacturer do you have do you have a manual? Have you tried to tighten the outhall with tension on the furl in line working them back and forth to tighten the sail in the mast?
C. Prop zincs, stuffing boxes, rudder parts, canvas, cushions - local or on-line marine chandlery or this site BeneteauOwners.com search; I usually purchase prop zincs through my bottom cleaning diver.
D. Changing batteries to lithium - do a search on "lithium batteries" on this site's forum

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Welcome, and congratulations!

+1 for this site for things like thru-hulls and other parts like that. Also register on https://spareparts.beneteauusa.com for Beneteau specific parts.

For the main sail not unfurling, is it jammed and only coming out a little, or can you tell what’s stopping it? If it’s jammed and won’t go more than a little out you might just need to work it back and forth with some tension and hopefully it will eventually work it’s way out. It’s not a great situation, so it’s better to practice furling it in better form so it doesn’t jam.

For the lithium batteries, look at LiFePO4 Batteries On Boats - Marine How To. There’s also lots of other great marine electrical info on that site. It’s maintained by the user Maine Sail who also answers questions here and particularly the Musings with Maine Sail sub-forum.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
For “generic” items, I like Defender.com

Purchased stuff from SBO too (in fact waiting for an order to be delivered right now!).

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
You can order bronze thru Hull fittings, valves, & tailpieces directly from Groco. I have been replacing mine with bronze BSPP threaded fixtures. All components have same same threads; therefore there are no mismatched threads as commonly done.

Swoon

Aug 16, 2021
Cheers All...noted . Planning ahead for October November haulout .

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Mast could also be US Spars. Typically has a adhesive tag on the mast base or on the boom.

Swoon

Aug 16, 2021
another question . my 361 was manufactured in the USA. will such boats have BSP (British/European) spec bronze ftgs?

Feb 21, 2013
Have you tried the suggestions on posts 3 and 4 and successful in getting mainsail out? If so that's great!! When you furler it in make sure you keep tension on the outhaul to furl it up right as you would with furling head sail.

Swoon

Aug 16, 2021
Yesterday during a four hour sail I tried alternating the main in and out. It seems to be getting easier (meaning I can do in my own instead of with additional help).
Got a bit more of it out so will continue via that route.
Attach two pics ..one of base of my mast, the other of current location.

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Good to hear you are having success unfurling your mainsail!! If your mainsial is 17 years old a replacement will be easier to furl and unfurl, espeacilly if it is a cruising laminate. Suggest having a local sail loft like Contact — Ocean Sails come down to inspect it, measure and advise on best sail material and specs for a new one for your sailing conditions.

Last edited: