Beneteau 361 Bilge

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stan

I have had water collecting in one of the honeycomb compartments below the sole plates. The water typically doesn't rise high enough to flow over to the sump, so I always seem to have water under the sole plates. What I discovered this week was that water, either salt or fresh, in the boat actually drains into voids below the bilge liner and that only when enough water is in those voids does it flow into the honeycomb compartments. Apparently this the design because if you check the weep holes below the starboard side settee and under the galley sink you'll see these holes going down ino this hidden bilge. I hate having water in the boat, even a little, but there appears no way to get it out of there since it never gets to the bilge pump in the sump area. Does anyone have any ideas?

J

Jose Venegas

It is the flat bottom design.

Stan, I had a similar experience a while ago. Anti-freeze was escaping from the system and slowly making it into the under floor compartments. At one point, if filled up the holes exiting from the compartment next to the head door with paper towels so that enough liquid would accumulate there to be efficiently removed with a sponge. It took several sessions to mop dry the spill but since I discovered its source, they have been dry. In great part, the flat bottom is responsible for the poor drainage from these compartments and there is little you can do. I consider this the cost I pay to be able to plane and surf in the 361.

S

Stan

B361 bilge

Once I understood that my beautiful boat wasn't sinking, it just became an annoyance. The seawater pump for my a/c unit is under the starboard side settee and for the longest time I thought nothing of letting sea water run in while I cleaned the stariner. I was always curious when that seawater never appeared in the sump area of the bilge. Now I know why. I rigged a small diameter hose on the end of a hand pump and stuck the hose into the holes in the compartment next to the head door. I pumped out a couple of quarts and it seems dry. I'll be more careful when I clean the seawater strainer. It is strange though that the lowest point on the boat is not where the bilge sump is located

Jun 13, 2004
Beneteau 361 Stockton, MO
361 Bilge

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've had a couple of instances where water had entered the boat. One when I left a hatch open while washing the decks and another when the water heater needed some work. But this small amount of water always makes it's way to one of the bilge compartments and is easily sponged out, even if it takes a couple times to get it all. Any water left inside the grid itself would soon evaporate. If it were a large amount it would make it to the bilge pump. The good news is that the boat is absolutely water tight from below - no leaking around keel bolts, etc. Driest boat I've ever owned!

Status
Not open for further replies.