Beneteau 361 2001 Lower Chainplates replacing damaged rubber seal

Apr 25, 2021
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Sausalito
I just noticed that the rubber seals at the base of the standing rigging shrouds are deteriorated on my Beneteau 361 2001. I never noticed this before (it's a fairley new boat for me). I am not aware of any leaks to the cabin. Also the plate is quite tarnished but still solid. Is it supposed to be stainless steel? Any help is appreciated!

Harry

IMG_0664.jpeg
IMG_0664.jpeg
IMG_0664.jpeg
IMG_0664.jpeg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
It's supposed to be stainless. Try using metal polish to renew the finish. It is actually a one piece casting that extends thru the deck. The black area in the center is sealer. If / when it leaks, you will have to rig temporary shrouds and release the wire shrouds. The chain plate casting will have to be released from the attachment hardware inside the cabin and then removed topside. After thoroughly cleaning the deck surface and surface of the casting, it can then be re bedded.

Apr 25, 2021
Thanks! Interesting, it doesn't look like stainless...

So then the bits of rubber are not actually rubber gaskets, but actually damaged bedding of RTV Silicone that was used to seal the threaded rod? Then can't I squirt more silcone caulking in from the topside of the hole?

Interest I just read an article entitled, "Passivating Stainless, All that polishing isn’t much good if you don’t acid-treat the lingering causes of corrosion.
They recommended using citric acid.

The link: Passivating Stainless | Practical Sailor

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I believe they are chrome plated over bronze , some people have had them re-plated . I machined up delrin plugs dug out the sealant, resealed and pressed in the plugs

Apr 25, 2021
Thank you, Machrone!

Did you do this without removing the Bronze casting and standing rigging first?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
On my 2006. it appeared to be stainless; however, Mechone is probably correct. Bronze & Chrome plated. I have read of others resealing and most recommend complete removal & thorough cleaning of surfaces before re bedding. Got to remember that the chain plates are under dynamic loads. Attempting to reseal could be used as temporary measure; however, for long lasting results ( as always the case), complete removal & re bedding is the way to go.

Apr 25, 2021
All very good information, thank you. I assume that a bolt head is located underneath the round central plate. It will be a week before I am back at the boat, I will examine the hull to chainplate to shroud connection then.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
My mast comes down every year and re-stepped in spring .,yes I removed mine and re-bed with mast down with 4200

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
All very good information, thank you. I assume that a bolt head is located underneath the round central plate. It will be a week before I am back at the boat, I will examine the hull to chainplate to shroud connection then.
You unbolt from inside the boat and the rod to the chain plate . The rod sits in a socket in the bronze casting

Apr 25, 2021
Thank you Then that is where the large Stainless Steel shaft inside the boat terminates then? under the central bronze cover is there a male bolthead or a female treaded nut? My question then is if this structure is all sound why can't I just use RTV silicone to seal it against water incursion from the deck?

Harry

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Thank you Then that is where the large Stainless Steel shaft inside the boat terminates then? under the central bronze cover is there a male bolthead or a female treaded nut? My question then is if this structure is all sound why can't I just use RTV silicone to seal it against water incursion from the deck?

Harry
Rtv won't last use 3m 4200. Yes where the rod terminates inside the boat is the chain plate. Under the bronze the rod has a ball on the end that sits in a socket in the bronze ,it all comes apart below deck
If your mast is down you can remove them and take them to a chrome shop for re -plating far cheaper then new ones

Last edited: