Beneteau 351 keel

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Purchasing a 351 , currently sitting on a 6 pad cradle. The yard added 2 jack stands at back of boat saying it needed them. They say the keel cannot support the weight of the boat and starts to push up. Is this normal? There looks to be no cracks in joint or stringers. If this is the norm looking at adding on to cradle.
Cheers

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Not familiar with that model but that does not sound good. If the weight of the hull pushes the keel up into the hull what happens when you launch the boat and the keel is now hanging from the hull? I'd run away from that one. You could contact the factory and ask them, they're still around. I have a Columbia and they went belly up like 30 years ago so we don't have that luxury.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Most boats I've seen set on their keels exhibit deformation of the hull as the boat is put down. The two extra stands that were used, would be bearing some of the weight of the boat. They're not usually supposed to do that. The weight is supposed to be on the keel. The deformation of the hull is, I guess, a matter of degree.
I once freaked out about this and had a multi-boat-unit repair of my boat bottom. I later learned it probably wasn't necessary. Or at least my boat wasn't any worse than the other boats in the yard.

Jan 6, 2014
Oceanis 351 Helsinki
You can use 6 pad cradle without extra support, see pic. That´s my 351 and winter storage has always been done that way with no problems. 351 is a nice boat, easy to handle. But upwind performance could be a bit better.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Thanks, having a surveyor look at it . What it looks like is the pan has started to detach from the hull as beneteau only glues the pan /stringers in with what looks like a bead of glue. The fix is to cut out the low parts of the pan and glass to the hull and stringer while keel hanging. I have been told the repair will make the boat stronger than when it left the factory as the pan and stringers are now glassed in ,instead of a glued. They then re gel coat the pan.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
My 323 came from the factory on a 6 pad cradle. Keel sits on the cradle frame. Pads support a bit of the weight but are more for balance. No discernible deformation in ten years.
Boats all come out of the water here for winter storage, some on cradles and some balanced on the keel with sis or more stands.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If there really is separation between the liner and hull, then definitely make sure the repair is done right. Issues in that area can be serious. Google the Cheeki Rafiki for an example. Not trying to cause undue alarm, and I'm sure there are ways to make such a repair safe, but it is important to watch such a situation closely.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I will post pics if I proceed with purchase. As far as Cheeki Rafiki I am not concerned . This repair shop knows what they are doing and it only makes sense. The lower part of the pan only has a bead of glue which transfers the load to the stringer. The bead being 3/4 inch wide about a inch in from the corner of the stringer. With the repair the complete lower part of the pan will now be attached to the hull and up the side of the stringer. Per square inch it is over 10 times stronger. Boats use to be made this way ,and went the glue /pan method to cut production costs. I have read of other beneteaus with pan failure that have been repaired this way. Also have seen pics online of the bead of glue not even adhering to the hull from the factory , when the pan was cut out ,it never touched the hull.
Cheers

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
A little update... repair was done by a custom yacht builder. Boat was in shop for one month, boat was suspended
in slings , pans were cut out and stringers were now glassed to hull . Shop owner showed me the pans,90% of the glue on the pans never touched the hull. Dime size bits touched here and there and let go . Must have been made on a Friday.Boat now supported itself in cradle. Today boat was lifted out of cradle and full weight of boat was put on keel with no flexing. Repair cost 20,000 cdn
After sea test this weekend its my new boat.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Give her a special new name to celebrate her resurrection!