Beneteau 343 winter covers

Nov 20, 2006
-Beneteau -343 Staten Island, NY
How necessary is it to cover a sailboat on the hard in the winter in New York City area climate? Where could I find a new or used cover for a 2007 Beneteau 343?

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Good luck finding a used cover that isnt already toast.
A new fitted canvas cover is expensive, but the payback is better than having to shrink wrap every year, and ecologically more sound. (Just my personal opinion).
I had a winter cover in Northern Michigan that made it through nine years of snowy winters with minimal maintenance.
If you do buy a fitted cover, specify Tenara thread. Expensive but worth it.The seams are always the first thing to deteriorate
I didn't answer the original question because I am not,familiar with Staten Island.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You don't "Hafta." I never covered my Ranger or the Mark25. I'm not saying that was best for the boats but neither was notably harmed. I did shovel some snow out of both on occasion. It's slippery up there so I might forego that now. I bought a cover for my H356. It protected the boat, I guess. In the spring there was always a patina of dirt on the deck that would have been washed off uncovered from rain. They say the cover protects the hull and deck from UV damage and that's probably true. The boat was more dry on deck and below with the cover. Based on friends experience, a cover that doesn't ventilate is probably worse than no cover. If you have urethane paint shrink wrap can trap moisture and cause bubbling of the paint.
It comes down to how much your boat is worth. My first two boats were at the bottom of their value curve. The 356 wasn't and I was trying to preserve it's resale value.

Jun 18, 2013
Beneteau 41.1 Glen Cove, NY
Decaying leaves. I once left my J/24 uncovered for the winter, and a carpet of dead leaves formed in the cockpit area and deck, which then released their tannins when left soaking in water and ice. The stains in the gelcoat were pretty bad. Also, I'd be worried that the accumulated weight of snow and ice might make the boat unbalanced on the stands when a strong wind blows through.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
I use this system http://www.koverklampframes.com/sailboat_video.html and it's not bad. The tarp lasts 3-4 seasons and costs about $150. The hold down clips they sell are the best that I have found. I've tried a few others and most give way to high winds.
You have to consider that the worst thing that can happen is the freeze, thaw. freeze cycle. The water gets into nooks and crannies on the boat and then freezes causing damage.
Which ever way you decide to go, a cover can extend the life of the boat and it's saleability in the future.
Good Luck

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
How necessary to cover? Depends on how much time you want to spend thru the winter checking and shoveling. I didn't cover some of my boats in the past - did a lot of snow shoveling and cockpit cleaning.
Cockpit full of snow,a little thaw/freeze and the drains are frozen. Then a little rain or more thaw and the water is thru the hatch boards and freezing below.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
We bought a custom sail cover from Fairclough back in 2007. Paid $1,500 at that time. Used to pay about $400 each winter for shrinkwrap, but was always worried about ventilation.
We have used the cover for 9 years now and hardly see any signs of wear. Very happy with it. Very easy to install and take off.
http://www.fairclough.com/

How necessary is it to cover a sailboat on the hard in the winter in New York City area climate? Where could I find a new or used cover for a 2007 Beneteau 343?

Jul 10, 2004
Beneteau 38 (2016) Northwest Marine Yacht Club
For storing in NY try the Canvas Store. They are in Huntington NY and make "over the rail" covers for all types of sailboats. I have used them on all three of my keel boats. They are really easy to put on and last for years.
The "over the rail" version will protect your teak and let you cover the boat either on the cradle or in the water.