Beneteau 343 water heater temperature setting

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Welcome to the site.

Are you referring to the electric heating of the tank or the engine heating of the tank ?

The electric side should have a thermostat located on the body but this depends on the make of the tank. The engine will eventually heat the potable water to approximately the engine cooling water temperature of 175 ℉ which is a bit too warm to say the least.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Does anybody know how to turn down the temp on the stock water heater?
The themostat on my Atwood heater is not adjustable; it is set for 140 degrees F. There is a reset button in the area of the thermostat.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
The easiest way (and safest) is to install a thermal mixing valve. I bought mine on Amazon. That way I got the same water temperature regardless if I used the shore power or engine to heat the water. I set it for around 110 F. If you hunt around the forums you should find some posts about how it's done. A pretty easy project.

Jun 24, 2022
Beneteau 343 Wiscasset
Thanks, yes, I was referring to the electric heater. Mine has no external thermostat. I took the access cover off and didn’t see one there either but there was a label saying it was factory set at 140 degrees like the one mentioned above. It is dangerously hot. I will try the thermal mixing valve idea!

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Thanks, yes, I was referring to the electric heater. Mine has no external thermostat. I took the access cover off and didn’t see one there either but there was a label saying it was factory set at 140 degrees like the one mentioned above. It is dangerously hot. I will try the thermal mixing valve idea!
If you have children you'll want to be careful but an easier less expensive way is to go with single lever faucets although the water temperature will be hot & even hotter when the engine is running, mixing valves are good but borderline the DIY skill set. they don't have to be mounted on the water heater and can be near the water heater rather than on it.
This is without

boat-plumbing.jpg

This is with MV
boat-water-heater2.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
This issue has never been a problem for me. The Beneteau 343 has single lever faucets thru out, so it is just a simple matter of mixing in more cold water to obtain the desired temperature at the faucet. As others have mentioned, if there are very young children aboard, you may have to pursue other options.

Alfa

Mar 19, 2015
Beneteau 31 North Vancouver
BigEasy, my Beneteau 31 has single lever faucets and it is also very simple to adjust water temperature. However, drawings attached by Denise030 do not show that hot water tanks (pressure vessels) are equipped with pressure relieve valves. It is possible (and this happened to owner of B. O. 37 in my marina) that after long motoring, hot water in the tank will open pressure relieve valve and discharge hot water into the bilge. Most likely this is due to deposits buildup in the engine/heat exchanger of the closed loop fresh water circuit.

New Yanmar engine have optional shutoff valves installed at the engine block for closing water circulation to hot water tanks. In the past few years I’m considering buying and installing this on my engine. Valves also simplify flushing/cleaning of the engine and replacement of anti coolant.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
It is possible (and this happened to owner of B. O. 37 in my marina) that after long motoring, hot water in the tank will open pressure relieve valve and discharge hot water into the bilge.
I was able to eliminate that problem by installing an accumulator tank. It absorbs the thermal expansion of the cold water in the DHW tank as it is heated.

PS Which marina are you in ?

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
BigEasy, my Beneteau 31 has single lever faucets and it is also very simple to adjust water temperature. However, drawings attached by Denise030 do not show that hot water tanks (pressure vessels) are equipped with pressure relieve valves. It is possible (and this happened to owner of B. O. 37 in my marina) that after long motoring, hot water in the tank will open pressure relieve valve and discharge hot water into the bilge. Most likely this is due to deposits buildup in the engine/heat exchanger of the closed loop fresh water circuit.

New Yanmar engine have optional shutoff valves installed at the engine block for closing water circulation to hot water tanks. In the past few years I’m considering buying and installing this on my engine. Valves also simplify flushing/cleaning of the engine and replacement of anti coolant.
They are piping diagrams why they aren't detailed about the T&P valves
Which I should mention as a reminder, many people don't realize the pressure relief valve is also a temperature relief valve

Alfa

Mar 19, 2015
Beneteau 31 North Vancouver
Hot water tanks on boats have similar design and safety requirements to our domestic hot water tanks. As water is heated in the tank it expands at approx 4% from room temp to boiling point (boiling point is changing with pressure). At boiling point, water evaporates, become steam and expands 1600 times. To prevent an explosion, tanks are equipped with safety relief valves.

Experience of people in the cabin when hot water tank relived steamy water, according to the sailor, was traumatic.

To Ralf: Greetings, my boat is in Deep Cove Marina, N. Shore.