Beneteau 323 Upper and Lower Shroud Position Question

Jan 23, 2019
Beneteau 323 Kenosha
On our Beneteau 323, when putting the mast up today, the lower shroud was placed forward of the upper shroud on the deck.
If I'm reading the manual correctly, it looks like the lower shroud should be placed aft of the upper shroud.
I checked some Beneteau 323s on Yachtworld.com and found some with the Upper shroud forward and some with the Lower shroud forward.
I'm pretty sure when we bought the boat it looked like the forward shroud was the upper shroud.
Let me know.
Thanks

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
The owners manual may have a diagram..... or you can call the spar maker.

but you have to think the wires would be different in size and might not fit correctly.... I know they are different on the 423.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have always put the upper shrouds aft and the lowers forward. Because the anchorage points are so close together I doubt that it makes much difference.

The thing that always mystified me was why there isn’t a turnbuckle in the forestay to help adjust rake, or at least to open up enough to get the split backstays attached. The only way to adjust the forestay is to add or take out a shackle.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Are the chainplates mounted the same way for the uppers and lowers? On the 37 the tang for the uppers is mounted fore/aft, and for the lowers is port/starboard. I presume that’s because the pull from the lowers is more inward than the uppers that are more vertical.
9E7F71CA-4FC0-4886-93BD-EB97A6BD6A5B.jpeg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have an OEM sales brochure w/ pics, and they have the lowers on the aft of two pad eyes. Also, I have pics of both cleats on the beam of the deck of my boat that clearly affirm the lowers led aft. Other pics above, under owner info. (((Strange but the info what has pen an ink line drawings, seem to show both shrouds on the aft connection. Not right!)))

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Pad eyes on the 323 for both upper and lower shrouds are fore/aft and bolted through the toe rail extrusion almost immediately adjacent.

Aug 20, 2013
Beneteau 311 Port Clinton, OH (Lake Erie)
On the Beneteau 311, the drawing in the owner's manual shows that the lower shrouds connect to the rear chainplate u-bolts, and the upper shrouds go to the more forward u-bolts. The Beneteau 311 is very similar to the 323 and I believe the 323 was a slight modification to the 311.

Jan 23, 2019
Beneteau 323 Kenosha
Yes, it looks like the lower shrouds go to the rear chainplate and the upper shrouds connect to the more forward u-bolts.