Beneteau 323 Toilet and Holding Tank Question

Jan 23, 2019
Beneteau 323 Kenosha
When I purchased my 2005 Beneteau 323 it had a Nature's Head composting toilet and no holding tank. I'm thinking of changing out the existing toilet with a Vetus Compact electric toilet type WCP12. The toilet connects to a pressurized onboard water system with at least 1.5 bar. I'm not sure if the Beneteau 323 has a pressurized water system of at least 1.5 bar?
Also, the original Beneteau holding tank is gone and is a discontinued part from Beneteau. The Beneteau 13 gallon (50 liters) tank was 19.9" tall x 12.6" wide and 13.8" deep. I can see the bolts on the bulkhead and a black strap from the original tank. Vetus sells a 25 liter (6.5 gallons) tank which is 24.4" tall x 13.4" wide x 9.25" deep and a 60 liter (15.8 gallons) tank that is 26.2" tall x 17.3" wide x 13.8" deep. It appears to me that the 25 liter Vetus tank would fit where the old tank was and has room for the AC duct work and battery charger, but it isn't a very large tank? I would appreciate any comments on a replacement holding tank, toilet change, and if the water system is pressurized with at least 1.5 bar (2.7 US gallons/minute). Thanks

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I would appreciate any comments on a replacement holding tank, toilet change, and if the water system is pressurized with at least 1.5 bar (2.7 US gallons/minute). Thanks
The original shurflo pump on my Beneteau had an adjustable switch that shut off at 45psi (3.1Bar) +_ 5psi (0.4 Bar) and restart at 25psi (1.7) Bar +_ (0.4Bar).
Typical performance:
BAR PSI GPM AMPS
0.0 , 0, 3.8, 4.15
0.7, 10, 2.5, 4.94
1.4, 20, 1.8, 5.24
2.1, 30, 1.3, 5.57
2.8, 40, 1.0, 5.74

You might consider contacting Ward Richardson at Beneteau USA for information regarding the source of the original tank; however, beware that the tank may have been imported from Europe. May also reach out to Peggy Hall about US suppliers that can provide a tank to accommodate your requirements and your proposed set up.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I would think that if your water system were anything less than 1.5 bar (22 PSI), you wouldn't be getting much water at each outlet.

The potable water pressure and flow rate in your boat will be dictated by your pump.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
13 gallons is sorta small for a 32 ft boat, isn't it? Worse, 6.5 gallons seems inadequate for me. That's like day sail capacity. I'm a proponet of pump out early and often but I think that's not enough capacity.
Is pressurized water flushing like a home flushometer? That must use more water than a hand pump.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
What made you decide on a Vetus toilet? US distribution is very limited and I doubt you'll find it for a discounted price.

As for a new holding tank,
Ronco Plastics is your best source. They make TOP quality thick-walled (50% thicker than most other mfrs) water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings--including diptubes--in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. There are retailers who sell Ronco tanks, but Ronco sells direct for a much lower price...and they're great to work with.
Their catalog is here Ronco Plastics marine Tanks and their tank drawings are here Ronco Plastics tank drawings.
When looking at drawings it's important to know that there is no top or bottom until the fittings go in, and YOU decide where they go. So rotate, flip in any orientation to find the tank that fit your space.

I'll be glad to answer your questions and also help you spec the best fittings sizes and location to provide you with a trouble free and ODOR free system.

--Peggie

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Is pressurized water flushing like a home flushometer? That must use more water than a hand pump.
Nope. The user controls the amount of flush water and depending on which flush panel you choose, you can even have a choice of 3 flush options--bring water into the bowl and hold it (essential ahead of solids if you don't want skid marks), "dry" flush" or simultaeous water in, bowl contents out.

--Peggie

Jan 23, 2019
Beneteau 323 Kenosha
Peggie - I did purchase a copy of your book and did send an email to Ward Richardson at Beneteau parts.
I have not heard back from Ward about the bolts protruding from the bulkhead.
I'm not sure if these bolts had anything to do with the original holding tank?
Thanks

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks
Not sure what the SS studs are. I haven't had the cover, that conceals the tank, off in years. I do know that there are nylon straps that secure the tank as shown in your photo. There are additional 323 owners that are on this site; perhaps they can help. My 343 has a different tank configuration & location.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Beneteau spare parts catalog describes your holding tank as "waste tank, 50L, roto, part #056328, $203.74." Unfortunately it also has it listed as obsolete. Dont know if there is an updated part number; that would be a question for Ward. As Peggy suggested, Ronco plastics is likely your best bet.
1432300054a.gif
1432300054a.gif

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I have no idea what they are, but I can' imagine how they'd have anything to do with your holding tank...at least I've never seen anything like them that did. I think you need to find out what else besides the holding tank is behind that bulkhead.

--Peggie

Oct 21, 2023
Beneteau 323 Oriental, NC
I have a similar problem on my 2005 Beneteau 323. The holding tank is installed in the cockpit locker on the starboard side.

Except the prior owner took out the original 13 gal tank and installed this monstrosity (see first photo). It doesn't have a capacity printed on it, but I measured the diameter and height and I get that it works out to 40 gal. One of many jack-leg installations I found on this boat. One problem with this install is that it blocks the battery charger almost completely. You can see a little of it - the yellow in the left hand side. I assume that's going to go at some time so I need to be ready to get to it. Also I can't get to the channel or tunnel that runs from the cockpit locker to the head on a shelf to route anything (see third photo).

As near as I can tell this big tank was empty when I bought it and it's been used very sparingly as I've mostly just daysailed. With that double U-turn in the pump out I'm almost afraid to have it pumped. In the head I have the basic Jabsco hand-pumped head so nothing fancy and it doesn't produce a lot of water per flush. Mostly I just use the shore facilities.

My attitude has been to strip out all the "improvements" and mostly get back to original equipment. Then if something bugs me I'll upgrade and do it correctly. I found two other photos which look like the original install. It looks like the tank is installed high on this panel. The head is on the other side of the panel. It does look like there's four studs coming out of the panel. And that the original tank is held held on top and bottom by 4 Z clips attached to those four studs in the panel and looped over a lip in the holding tank. Also there's a vertical strip of wood screwed into the panel which fits into a channel moulded into the holding tank.

I'm sorry to hear that Beneteau doesn't make the original any more. Thanks for the tip on Ronco. I'll check it out.

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'm sorry to hear that Beneteau doesn't make the original any more.
Maybe you should be grateful 'cuz almost every hose and fitting in their sanitation plumbing is metric...difficult, if not impossible to find in the US.

And btw...without seeing your sanitation system plumbing, most boat builders are the worst sanitation system designers (they don't design, they just find an empty space and drop a tank into it) and plumbers on the planet! So there's almost certain to be a better location for a tank and often shorter plumbing runs that actually make sense. I'll be glad to help you explore your options including the best fittings locations and sizes to actually manage the waste.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023
Hi Peggie. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Since you can't see the entire setup, here are some further thoughts. I've attached the page from the owner's manual showing the location of the waste (holding) tank. (It's a pdf which is not showing a preview so I hope you can click on the link to see it.) Let's assume that the photos I found show the original factory installation of the holding tank. By comparing them to my boat and the photo posted by the original poster it seems likely.

The head and its hand pump (don't have a photo) is in the head compartment which is just on the other side of the aft head compartment bulkhead and the panel in the adjacent cockpit locker to which the holding tank is bolted. The hose from the discharge of the head Jabsco hand pump to the holding tank can't be more than about 3 ft long. The deck-mounted pump out and vent fittings are nearby. In this particular boat that's where it needs to go for very short runs of hose.

Also, if you look closely at the photo of the presumed original factory installation you can see that the Trident sanitation hose #102-1120 is clearly marked as 1 1/2". A quick search shows that hose is still available. So had I been able to get the original holding tank it seems likely there are compatible hoses/fittings.

The reason I wanted the factory original was that I could simply re-install it by hanging it on that panel and hook up the still-available hoses to the tank fittings that would already be in the proper locations. Easy. I can't do that, so now I have to improvise.

According to an earlier poster the original now-unavailable tank is this one.
waste tank, 50L, roto, part #056328, $203.74
dimensions: 19.9" tall x 12.6" wide and 13.8" deep.

Using your tip (thanks!), the Ronco B175 is 20x13x13 which is close enough to the dimensions of the original that it should fit in this spot. But since it's apparently a plain unadorned plastic box with no mounting fittings, I've got to figure out how to mount it on the panel. I'll have to build a shelf or something like it. A tank full of 13 gal of "water" weighs about 100 lbs. So it'll have to be substantial to not break free in heavy seas - disaster! Also I'll have to determine the location of the hose fittings to mount on the tank. It looks like the discharge from the head and the vent go on top and the drain goes on the bottom. Not impossible just some detailed work to get it right.

By the way, I hear you about manufacturers. I'm an electrical engineer who recently retired after a 45 year career. Whatever boat manufacturers know about sanitation systems, they seem to know even less about electrical systems. Beneteau did some screwy electrical stuff that I don't like and am going to have to correct when I get a chance.

Thanks again.

Attachments

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Peggie - I did purchase a copy of your book and did send an email to Ward Richardson at Beneteau parts.
Thanks
The bolts / studs held a metal bracket that held the tank in place against the wall…… look at the top right of the picture of my tank. And I second what Peggie said about toilet and holding tanks. and 6 gallons is an afternoon…..

Greg
s/v Souleil

IMG_6746.jpeg

Oct 21, 2023
The bolts / studs held a metal bracket that held the tank in place against the wall…… look at the top right of the picture of my tank. And I second what Peggie said about toilet and holding tanks. and 6 gallons is an afternoon…..

Greg
s/v Souleil

View attachment 221190
Thanks. The holding tank in your picture looks like it's in the head and in a compartment just to the right of the sink. My Beneteau 323 is a little different with the holding tank in the starboard cockpit locker, no room in the head, but combined with the earlier pictures I and others have posted, it does seem to confirm Beneteau's habit of bolting the holding tank to some vertical panel.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Its one of the things on my boat that Beneteau did very well.... afforded me the ability to make both holding tanks gravity discharge so I was able to remove the macerator pumps and associated hoses. Yes in the head securely behind the toilet... 25 gallons each.

Greg
s/v Souleil