Beneteau 323 Standing Rigging Cotter Pin Size Question

Jan 23, 2019
Beneteau 323 Kenosha
I have 2005 Beneteau 323.
What are the recommended cotter pin sizes for the forestay, sidestays, and twin backstays.
Last year I bought a cotter pin variety pack, but would like to know the recommended sizes.
Thanks

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Try stainless split rings instead of cotter pins ,one they come to outside of turnbuckle , two they won't rip your sail or any person and three you don't need a tool to remove to adjust
Cheap on ebay

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
If your are set on using cotter pins, contact US Spars. They manufactured & supplied all of the rigging components. They can tell you what size was used for rig and also supply replacement parts.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: What Big Easy says.

Once installed be sure to use rigging take to cover the cotter pin ends. It helps to reduce the bleeds as crew dash past the rigging to get to the bow.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Use whatever fits through the hole in the turnbuckle, its not rocket science. All the pin or ring does is prevent rotation.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I replaced all of my standing rigging cotters with wrap pins. I bought them from APS before they went to strictly selling "soft" gear.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
FYI ,Cotter pins are the recommended items for rigging by most good sailing safety instructors for the simple reason is ,in a knock down they are easier to remove then splits rings or circle clips.

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
If you carefully and PROPERLY bend back each leg of the cotter pin upon itself, they cannot rip open your leg or your sails. This avoids the need for taping the turnbuckle, which traps water and can lead to corrosion of the turnbuckle and standing rigging.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Use whatever fits through the hole in the turnbuckle, its not rocket science. All the pin or ring does is prevent rotation.
True, with one exception on Beneteaus. The cotter pin that holds the goose neck shaft in place has a dynamic load on it. It wears and will break over time. Had that happen on a Beneteau 331 that I chartered. Thankfully it happened with winds less than 10 knots with a crew of four. The shaft fell out of the goose neck and the boom & mainsail kicked back violently. If It had been in moderate conditions, someone could have been seriously injured or worse. Lucky on two counts, no one was hurt and miraculously the shaft didn't roll overboard! Point here is make sure you replace it periodically and make sure it is the proper size.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
True, with one exception on Beneteaus. The cotter pin that holds the goose neck shaft in place has a dynamic load on it. It wears and will break over time.
I saw the same potential for failure on my Hunter. Also at the base of the furler. I make sure I use the largest cotter that will fit the pins' hole.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
:plus:Plus one to Doug. I changed all my shrouds/stays to the heaviest cotter/split rings I could get into the holes. Makes for an easy scan around the rigging, as it is obvious if one would be missing. ten + years, no problem.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
FYI ,Cotter pins are the recommended items for rigging by most good sailing safety instructors for the simple reason is ,in a knock down they are easier to remove then splits rings or circle clips.
Yeah, if you have the tools.

Aug 20, 2013
Beneteau 311 Port Clinton, OH (Lake Erie)
For my turnbuckles I've been using bronze cotter pins on my Beneteau 311 for a couple years with good success. They are much easier to bend than stainless (I can usually do it with my fingers), and there hasn't been any visible corrosion (water here is unsalted and shark free). Still using stainless on the clevis pins.

Alfa

Mar 19, 2015
Beneteau 31 North Vancouver
I use sst wire, easy to install and remove, reusable. Here, 1/16" dia, 316 sst TIG weldi
20200521_145306.jpg
ng rod.